Holding down movement keys into enemies

This is what kills me 4/5 times I play Cataclysm, the other 1/5 being stepping on a landmine somewhere. I will be running along my merry way when all of the sudden I get “Game Over” at the top of my screen, eliciting a painful cringe as I try to find out what happened. It usually turns out that I died because I held the movement key in a certain direction into an enemy, making me attack it endlessly in that very short span of time as the game is accelerated. This is very frustrating because it just doesn’t feel fair; I would not have died if the game hadn’t been accelerated, but I don’t want to have to tap my movement keys to get around slowly.

Here’s my suggestion: make it so that when a movement key is held down and contact is made with an enemy, the game automatically pauses similar to the way safe mode works, except on contact instead of on sight. I feel that this would save me so much grief and I think that others will agree with me.

That exists. It’s called safe mode.

I mean, you already know safe mode exists. You can set it to turn on automatically. And if you’re rushing around, you’re putting yourself at risk. Haste will get you killed in this game, that’s just part of it.

Argus is right. This is pretty much the exact reason safe mode exists, and why it’s on by default. Is there a reason why safe mode doesn’t work for you?

At the moment, safe mode has no cool down. If you are running through the trees for example with auto safe mode turned on, as soon as you loose sight of a zombie it turns on. It used to have a 10 minute cool down or something. I find myself turning the safe mode off when fleeing from zombies, which can take a turn for the worse when I flee into zombies…

[quote=“ArgusTheCat, post:2, topic:520”]That exists. It’s called safe mode.

I mean, you already know safe mode exists. You can set it to turn on automatically. And if you’re rushing around, you’re putting yourself at risk. Haste will get you killed in this game, that’s just part of it.[/quote]

Safe mode has to be turned off to resume playing after spotting an enemy. I just want a simple option to have it automatically engage as soon as contact is made with an enemy to prevent dying when I hold down a movement key.

Hmm. Might be better handled in a less obvious way.

What if, instead of stopping you completely, safe mode just disabled keypress holding? That way, you can still move around without disabling safe mode.

We could also just cut off certain actions like melee attacks from being repeated at all, but this would still let you be killed by faster enemies without you noticing.

I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say with “as soon as contact is made with an enemy”, because that’s exactly the way it works now, near I can tell.

By contact, I mean physical contact by “moving” into the same space that an enemy occupies, which causes your character to attack them automatically.

And you want a confirmation every time this happens, or simply for it to no longer count as held down? (so it only does it once)

If you want safe mode to kick in in melee range (or just outside of it like me) you could just go in the options and change “Safe mode proximity distance” to 1 and you’ll stop the moment you run into something.
Not sure when it got in but it’s in 2.0

Thats not right, it just takes 50 turns to reenable safemode by default. But you cant tweak that time aswell in the options “Turns to reenable safemode”.

[quote=“TaintedHolyWater, post:9, topic:520”]If you want safe mode to kick in in melee range (or just outside of it like me) you could just go in the options and change “Safe mode proximity distance” to 1 and you’ll stop the moment you run into something.
Not sure when it got in but it’s in 2.0[/quote]

Thats exactly why i added this, because its anoying to stop for monsters on the screen edge which are no threat at all.

Then thanks for one of my more used features

safe-mode is brilliant. i suggested some simple changes under ‘enfunments’ in this section to make the warning slightly less sticky, but don’t anyone dare touch it unless they want to make setting the alert-distance easier. :slight_smile:

i mean, do as you will, but as is, its what keeps me alive more than anything. one day, i’m sure, we’ll get something to snap the warning distance to all, viewport, and the ranges of any carried weapons, plus something like 1,2,3,4,5 for tactical. perhaps even a pause when one enters into a turret’s range.