Writing and Drawing: to Entertain & Enlight

Now I know we can read books to learn recipes, which is a great addition to cataclysm in my opinion. But if I can read to get ideas, surely I could write, even draw to gain ideas as well?

So here’s a quick idea I proposed: writing. I don’t mean of course writing your own little diary by typing it word for word, but perhaps finding some sort of pencil or pen and [a]ctivating it to find an option ‘write diary’ and/or ‘draw ideas’.

This could be determined by the player’s intelligence, as in how quickly they write/draw and the quality of it. Being illiterate obviously makes this idea inaccessible to those players. Writing a diary is actually something many survivors in the real world to do to stop boredom and, which will be much more likely in a zombie apocalypse, to retain sanity. Having a high intelligence could make writing a small diary on paper (which is in the game, acquire it by disassembling books.)

As for drawing ideas, you could design something of a certain skill (fabrication, electronics, mechanics, etc. But not skills like ‘melee’. Bruce Lee probably didn’t practice extreme drawing methods.) to have a chance to increase your fabrication skills, or even design a blueprint for a new recipe! The chances of this would depend on your intelligence, but both should be very low in general.

Also we could prevent this from being a grinding tactic by giving pens + pencils a number of charges, as no pen or pencil never runs out, as far as I know. You could refill pens by creating some sort of ink which would be crafted somehow, and a pencil could be [r]eloaded with charcoal. How many charges the pens and pencils could have, I’m not sure. Perhaps 20, each charge being one writing or drawing session which takes up an entire sheet of paper.

Just a quick idea, don’t pay too much attention to it, and suggest any way to make it better if you like. Have a great day all!

(P.S. bookworms, ever worried about going hungry while reading? That’s okay because if you disassemble the book when you’re finished reading it, eat all the paper for a very distasteful but quite filling meal depending on how large the book is. I know paper is only 1 nutrition and gives your character suicidal thoughts with it’s huge unenjoyable stat, but seriously. Make paper inedible please.)

I’ve eaten paper before…

I like it, It’s pretty natural with reading should be writing. Drawing I’m going to give that a maybe, I wouldn’t mind seeing it added but also wouldn’t mind not seeing it, I really don’t see it giving recipes but maybe a good way to pass the time when you are waiting to get tired. Kinda how i use smoking weed now…In game that is…

P.S. I too have eaten paper…

Me three.

I chew that shit up in school, teachers are all like "spit that gum out.
paper derail activate

[quote=“wad67, post:5, topic:5672”]I chew that shit up in school, teachers are all like "spit that gum out.
paper derail activate[/quote]

God the memories i have from my school days, i was such a little shit, id get a mouth full of paper wad then chuck it at the ceiling lights… what a horrible person i was
poor damn janitor

On topic: I think writing is a good idea, though I don’t know about drawing to raise your skill directly. Blueprints seems okay for learning knew things, it could be treated as a book and give a random, skill related, recipe.

Off topic: Paper doesn’t really taste as bad as it is in-game. And I’m sure that a sheet of paper is also more nourishing than it is portrayed!

It isn’t nourishing at all, because it’s impossible for a human to digest cellulose. It should literally give you 0 nutrition. Or more reasonably, be inedible.

Edit: I swallowed a small piece of metal once, but that’s a poor argument for making scrap metal edible. It’s possible to ingest almost any small object. That doesn’t mean we should make anything a person could feasibly swallow edible in Cataclysm.

Thanks for all the feedback! I personally haven’t eaten paper… I might have to try it sometime…

But yeah anyway I thought of this because it would just… make sense. Also it would be a good way to boost up the intelligence skill in terms of its power; I already know its a great stat already but strength always seems to be the one I max out.

Speaking of stats, sorry to go off topic, but could we PLEASE make perception a more useful stat? Compared to the other stats it may as well be the trapping skill… [No offense any perception/trapping lovers!]

Just my opinion, anyway thanks again for the feedback! Stay awesome!

I want actual books, with readable writing.

Logbooks pls.

[quote=“Jakers, post:9, topic:5672”]Thanks for all the feedback! I personally haven’t eaten paper… I might have to try it sometime…

But yeah anyway I thought of this because it would just… make sense. Also it would be a good way to boost up the intelligence skill in terms of its power; I already know its a great stat already but strength always seems to be the one I max out.

Speaking of stats, sorry to go off topic, but could we PLEASE make perception a more useful stat? Compared to the other stats it may as well be the trapping skill… [No offense any perception/trapping lovers!]

Just my opinion, anyway thanks again for the feedback! Stay awesome![/quote]
Well with perception I’m pretty sure it help you spot land marks from further away, so you could scout an entire city much easier with a higher perception… Paper contains no nutrition… Yes cellulose is indigestible… On a side not just cause we cannot digest it properly doesn’t not make it “Inedible” it just uses it as a fiber which in turn helps you poo. Which is one thing i think should be implemented a littlebit into the cataclysm… I mean we all gotta do it… where is all these mres im eating going??? or how about them 10 bottles of water i drank?.

Let’s just say those activities are abstracted.

Did you not read the rest of my post? You can eat lots of things that are indigestible and pass them right through your system, but how exactly would it benefit the game to make every small object edible? The ability to do something stupid in real life doesn’t justify its inclusion in a game.

Also, no to a shitting mechanic, please.

Did you not read the rest of my post? You can eat lots of things that are indigestible and pass them right through your system, but how exactly would it benefit the game to make every small object edible? The ability to do something stupid in real life doesn’t justify its inclusion in a game.

Also, no to a shitting mechanic, please.[/quote]
You seem to want to instigate an argument so im going to stop with this… This was MY OPINION… I am not saying your opinion is wrong and i’m not saying mine is more right than yours just that I find intelligence in eating fiber based items… many people ingest indigestible things for this exact reason… While i really don’t care all together i feel you think i was attacking your comment which i was just stating a counter view.

I simply get tired of people trying to justify the inclusion of pointless, obscure or absurd features in the game by going on about how it’s theoretically possible, or how they did it as a kid, or they know someone who did it. The OP pointed out, correctly, that the ability to eat paper in the game is pointless and its implementation is ridiculous, and got dogpiled by people talking about how they’ve eaten paper. That is annoying to me.

Well would we be writing it? If so I see it being abused.
off topic: The taste of paper depends on the type, college ruled paper has little taste, but the paper used in books tastes similar to construction paper from my experience.

I just wanna be able to fling shit at zombies. Oh, and drawings would be nice, too. Maybe being able to put direct input onto pieces of paper, y’know, writing notes for yourself and posting them on the wall or something. Maybe write the names of all the people you’ve killed on a paper in blood, or just write the word “penis” hundreds of times on a paper instead of actually doing something productive.

No poo throwing, you may have degenerated into a monkey, but you shouldn’t act like one.

I like direct writing.

Bahahahaha

I appreciate the… erm… nice ideas about flinging shit and eating paper, but let’s get back on topic please xD