Why Is Cannabis A Depressant In Cataclysm?

Hello all, came across a underground grow-op found a few bones and lit them up and when I looked at my characters effects I couldn’t help but notice its labeled as depressant. I have seen High in effects before with negative stats and was wondering why we didn’t go with that instead.

Cannabis is highly regarded to not be very easily classified because it has so much of everything at once.

Obviously this is not a huge issue. I in no way have any issue with the stats.

Because Cannabis is medically a depressant, different to alcohol, certainly, but its effects on the central nervous system are similar.

It also has many stimulant effects that some argue outweighs the depressants, but there are different strains that lead to different effects and its hard to judge them as a whole. But I can see why they could say its a depressant, I guess im just finding only heavy indica buds in the cataclysm haha

I get depressed when I run out LOL. Maybe your character gets depressed when theyre not high anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s labeled as a depressant because THC is a depressant.

Just because it motivates you to eat extra nachos, that doesn’t mean it’s a stimulant.

That’s fucking priceless / Awesome

EDIT It does increase your heart rate which stimulants do

[quote=“Rivet, post:5, topic:6242”]It’s labeled as a depressant because THC is a depressant.

Just because it motivates you to eat extra nachos, that doesn’t mean it’s a stimulant.[/quote]

Sigging that.

Speaking from a great deal of experience here, it’s still a depressant.

Speaking from a great deal of experience here, it’s still a depressant.[/quote]

Interesting that you feel it is, obviously I don’t or I wouldn’t have made the thread, however I mainly consume sativa, which is more stimulant relatable IMO, what was your favorite? im guessing it might have something to do with why we feel its on different ends of the scale

Speaking from a great deal of experience here, it’s still a depressant.[/quote]

Interesting that you feel it is, obviously I don’t or I wouldn’t have made the thread, however I mainly consume sativa, which is more stimulant relatable IMO, what was your favorite? im guessing it might have something to do with why we feel its on different ends of the scale[/quote]

I’m an old-school smoker. When people start trying to toss fancy names around I tend to tune them out.

The best smoke I’ve ever had was homegrown, and in my personal experience anything with a trade-name is overpriced and substandard quality.

As far as the entire stimulant/depressant/hallucinogen thing goes, THC is hard to classify due to it having various perceived effects (just as you said) but generally speaking it’s classified as a mild depressant due to its effects on the CNS - stuff like muscle relaxation, lowered response time, and its anti-emetic properties.

That’s not to say that smoking a joint is necessarily going to make you sleepy, but for many casual users that is often the case.

[quote=“Rivet, post:10, topic:6242”]I’m an old-school smoker. When people start trying to toss fancy names around I tend to tune them out.

The best smoke I’ve ever had was homegrown, and in my personal experience anything with a trade-name is overpriced and substandard quality.

As far as the entire stimulant/depressant/hallucinogen thing goes, THC is hard to classify due to it having various perceived effects (just as you said) but generally speaking it’s classified as a mild depressant due to its effects on the CNS - stuff like muscle relaxation, lowered response time, and its anti-emetic properties.

That’s not to say that smoking a joint is necessarily going to make you sleepy, but for many casual users that is often the case.[/quote]

You didn’t tell me whether you liked sativa or indica :slight_smile:

And I and can agree with your argument it makes sense there’s a lot of qualities that do mirror depressants, I suppose the extra movement speed penalty of depressants makes it extra funny, like your too stoney to give a fuck about the zombies

I like weed. Particulars are irrelevant so long as it’s good smoke.

I could be wrong but I’m fairly certain that THC is actually biphasic, much like nicotine. While below certain concentrations, it acts similarly to a stimulant, once it passes that threshold it begins depressing the nervous system.

Indica and sativa are different species of cannabis. Sativa is noted for being a more energetic high. Not coincidentally, it also has a lower level of THC to it.

I like weed. Particulars are irrelevant so long as it’s good smoke.[/quote]
Aw man you gotta know your buds, and just because its a popular strain doesn’t always mean its going to be overhyped and not potent :slight_smile: Green crack is my favorite and my crop comes in very nice each time I harvest, I would argue its some of the best ive seen out here, but not a lot of clinics / growers grow it for some reason. I find the differences in bud from strain to strain pretty obvious and I can tell almost instantly one bud from another, in this im able to savor and decide what strains for different moods at different times of day. But theres nothing wrong with just enjoying bud for bud :slight_smile:

[quote=“Khrysanth, post:13, topic:6242”]I could be wrong but I’m fairly certain that THC is actually biphasic, much like nicotine. While below certain concentrations, it acts similarly to a stimulant, once it passes that threshold it begins depressing the nervous system.

Indica and sativa are different species of cannabis. Sativa is noted for being a more energetic high. Not coincidentally, it also has a lower level of THC to it.[/quote]

Interesting ive never heard of sativa having a lower THC level to it, however that’s just one of the many chemicals that make up the high from cannabis there is still CBD and CBN ratios that come into play

I’ve enjoyed it much in the past, and had no idea what you were talking about. When you’re not part of a community that has serious ganja hobbyists, and/or it’s hard to get, details like this never come up.

That said, I thought this topic was ridiculous when I clicked on it, but it prompted me to Google and learn :slight_smile: Granted, it’s a forum post, but it’s something I’ll want to read up on when I get out of work.