Where do I find duct tape other than cars and basic repair kits?

How often are you crafting survivor gear without the necessary recipe book? By the time you get to that level, you’ve almost certainly found the necessary book for duct tape (I think there are several) - I’ve done the “grind to level 7 tailoring” thing, and it SUCKS, and fabrication is nearly as bad.[/quote]
To answer your question:
it’s actually pretty rare that I get the necessary recipe book before I start crafting survivor gear.
Because I play with high monster spawn rate and very low (0.01) item spawn rate.
And that means that I mostly avoid cities (where some books might be), but I can still grind my skills very effectively getting materials from the woods or scavenging from lone-standing structures.
But even if my item spawn rates were higher it’s still very easy to grind your tailoring well before you find the book.
I mean, really, what can possibly be difficult about grinding tailoring? Any one structure with curtains and a bed or two provides all the rags and thread you will need.

The one thing about grinding tailoring. Is it a bug that the tailoring recipes require thread to NOT be in your tailoring tool of choice?

I would not say it’s a bug, it’s just how the recipes are coded right now.
The way it is now you can require a recipe to use more thread than a tool holds at max capacity.

What recipes might you be referring to? Also wouldn’t it have been easier just to increase the tools capacity?

I’m not sure if there are any in base game, but the current system makes it easier to implement such recipes without changing tool capacity.

How would it be easier? It anything, since thread starts mostly outside of the tool, it requires less micromanagement if the recipe takes the thread right away without forcing you to reload the tool.

Ok so if this system is for non vanilla stuff I can understand. I can also somewhat understand the appeal of not having to reload a tool in order to craft. However the convienence becomes moot if you still have to load that tool in order to repair or modify clothing.

To get to level 7, you either have to repair stuff for months on end or make stuff, and grinding stuff from 6 to 7 is basically nomex stuff, which is pretty limited, or very long-crafting stuff. It’s not that it’s difficult to do, it just SUCKS.

To get to level 7, you either have to repair stuff for months on end or make stuff, and grinding stuff from 6 to 7 is basically nomex stuff, which is pretty limited, or very long-crafting stuff. It’s not that it’s difficult to do, it just SUCKS.[/quote]
You can get to lvl 7 tailoring crafting just from rags and leather. And you can get leather from car seats.

“Sucks” how? You just press “craft” a few times and you are there…

To get to level 7, you either have to repair stuff for months on end or make stuff, and grinding stuff from 6 to 7 is basically nomex stuff, which is pretty limited, or very long-crafting stuff. It’s not that it’s difficult to do, it just SUCKS.[/quote]
You can get to lvl 7 tailoring crafting just from rags and leather. And you can get leather from car seats.

“Sucks” how? You just press “craft” a few times and you are there…[/quote]

Here, let me quote myself: “grinding stuff from 6 to 7 is basically nomex stuff, which is pretty limited, or very long-crafting stuff.” Bold added, just so you could see it.

I recognize that it can be done (I’ve done it), it just takes forever, which is why I said it sucks.

It only takes a few minutes of real time. It may take a day or two of in-game time, but why does that suck?
P.S. I mean, I honestly don’t get why spending some in-game time is a huge issue. After about 7 in-game days nothing much really changes, you can sit in your base for weeks on end with no noticeable penalty I can think of.

zombie evolution, food stocks, more time for hordes to gather tighter around, making it more difficult to scavenge food from surrounding areas, (if playing with skill rust that too) to name a few off the top of my head. Granted, depending on player skill/understanding of the game, playstyle, and environment/ area it may not be that big a deal.