What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?

Fallout 2 reference? I vaguely remember an explosion happening in an outhouse there. I’ve never seen a landmine anywhere near a toilet in Cata.[/quote]

Not sure if it was a landmine, but you can explode the contents of an outhouse in one of the towns, which did cover the town in a lot of poop. As for cata, it’s not a landmine, but I recall fast food joints sometimes had bear traps near the toilet.

Fallout 2 reference? I vaguely remember an explosion happening in an outhouse there. I’ve never seen a landmine anywhere near a toilet in Cata.[/quote]

Not sure if it was a landmine, but you can explode the contents of an outhouse in one of the towns, which did cover the town in a lot of poop. As for cata, it’s not a landmine, but I recall fast food joints sometimes had bear traps near the toilet.[/quote]

In “survivor” houses (boarded up windows, cots, funnels set up outside, that sort of thing), there are sometimes booby traps of various kinds, and one of the things you can find (very intentionally, I’m fairly certain) is a landmine set up on the toilet.

Teleporters are almost always available in labs (if you can manage to disarm one), so they are the fall-back position of choice, but yeah, I always lab-start with 0 skills (broken cyborg is my favorite), and some level of brute force escape is the most common for me, too.

Heh, yeah, that’s how a good lab start always ends - getting out with exactly ONE thing on the to-do list: EAT.

My current character was a lab start… but the lab was IN TOWN (one forest square at most between it and houses in any direction), so I bug out HARD before I could eat, and I needed to bring what I needed with me in one trip, too. Oh, and the only direction that was remotely short to the edge of town was in spawn-range of an ant hill, so I had to deal with at on the way out, too. It was actually a pretty good challenge… then I skirted a school and found a completely empty (of zombies) mansion, so I could just dump stuff, eat, rest, and read. After running that gauntlet, it was a REALLY nice find.

Finally found a working car… well, an ambulance to be exact. The good thing is i have quite a lot of space, and could easily make a mobile base out of it. It’s also surprisingly fuel efficient. The bad thing is, i can’t see what’s right behind me, so navigating during the night sucks.

try using mirrors or cameras

well… i crashed it into a shitload of cars anyway… in a place where it’s close to impossible to drive.
so i had a dumb idea to blow everything up with a debugged mininuke… it just made whole lot of new problems and i forgot to take my loot out first…
so… for future reference - best ways to remove wrecks from roads? this area was surrounded by minefields so simply driving offroad was pretty risky in itself…

hacksaw, wrench and remove all parts from wrecks

For clearing wrecks I usually just bash the heck out of em’. Another great option is the CBM that sends out terrain shattering shockwaves. Just sit in the middle and watch that metal fly!

These. Sledgehammer + 80 strength is one hell of a drug.

Afterwards I use Electromagnetic Unit or whatever it’s called to get everything onto one tile.

Glad I’m not the only one that tidies up afterwards…

As for what’s happening in my current apocalypse? Used an authentic dory by way of museum to slay a Dracolich. Gonna make armor out of its bones!

In a wreckage this shouldn’t be an issue but be careful to not smash any gas tanks with gas in them. That’s setting yourself up for a baaaaaad time.

Day 03

Drunk-kop has had a readjustment. I lowered his perception and int in favor of a level 2 speaking and swapped poor hearing for heavy sleeper. I was tempted to take spiritual, but ultimately I have bad temper and that kind of conflicts more than if needs to. Besides, then I would get morale for nothing.

Anywho, templates aside, I spent the night running from Zumbies, and spent the day in a sporting goods store as the nearby zombies thrashed around in a security van outside. unbeknownst to me, the zombies had amassed in such numbers I bet there were hundreds of them, and as they tend to do in the day when you spend time in the city they started taking down walls.
halfway through the day, a brute came into the wall of the back room, interrupting my reading of a shotgun book. what else could my response be but to flee back, turn off the flashlight I was using, and hatchet him to death. I then had to cautiously wait for the rest of the day until night fell and I could flee through a crowd of zonbies punching at me.

Once away, I found a working security van and an NPC who joined me. We drove off the a maintainance center. There a hulk showed up and I noped the fuck out of there without my companion.

I spent the rest of the day reading and crafting what little I could with only 6 sheets and no skill. Now Im scouting a small city only 20 or so minutes from the original city, and using a pitchfork and some mil sur plus goods and its not going great but it is going. I found some multivitamins and I found this little guy:

Hes so cute. And stalkery. I must now create a race of mutant bunny rabbits that will attack you if their species dies.

Thank for Coolthulhu npcs are again working for me.
New world, still old base and character, after removing 2 overmap tiles of forest i decided to explore what is around me.

No ant hills, but my food supply is big and i have marloss berries in case i run out of normal food, lack of vitamins will be quickly fixed by my previusly useless stockpile of them.

I raided a lab with energy weapons finale, but guards got killed by disectors, got laser pistol and rifle and fussion rifle with ammo.
After that i noticed small town with hospital, decided to raid it but i cant find mr.steem cell, guess i have to care about my arms and legs now.

Found refugee center, i did all missions and it was realy easy, now im harvesting wood for ranch

Day 06.

My security busted. Ive accumulated enough supplies to venture forth and try to find a new car. I was parked by a mansion that had a library and I read up to 3 mech. I am heading off with my 4 tailoring, a knife spear, a hacksaw and wrench, a canteen of chealp wine, and a roll of duct tape. And a tin of biscuits.

I forgot to bring a rubber hose though :-\ Still Im not going to walk all the way back now.

Whelp, I’ve been gone from here a lot. Hi, all!

Anywho, on the ninth day with a survivor who’s so far one of my favorites. His name’s Cedrick Watts. He started off as a punk rock dude with above average perception and dexterity and average strength and intelligence, along with points in melee and survival. Cedrick’s clumsy, a heavy sleeper, and some other things I can’t remember, but he’s also Deft, Quick, a Parkour Expert, and a Packmule. He left the evac shelter to an insanely small nearby town, looting the military surplus and sporting goods store to net himself some more storage and a survival knife, before trekking off to another town, this one being abnormally large.

After two or three days of light skirmish with the resident undead and the looting of five or six houses for tools and clothes and the looting of a pizza parlor and coffee shop for food, Cedrick made a dash for the local gun store, ironically finding both a Glock 22 and a Beretta M9, both fully loaded, on two different zombies on the way there. Arriving with a veritable train of undead following him, Cedrick did what any man would do; he popped three Adderall, chewed some caffeinated gum, and set about killing every single zombie trailing him, in all about thirty, with his survival knife. It sorta climaxed when he shot a brute three times with his Glock 22 and attracted some local swimmer zombies from the pool.

Anyhow, every single one of the zombies dead, Cedrick found, honestly, a hole already blasted in the gun shop, for some weird reason. He ran in, finding a SIG Mosquito, a Remington 870, a Glock 19, and a Desert Eagle .44, with ammo for the 19 and the Remington.

I’ll write the rest of his escapades soon. It’s pretty badass.

I might write up a story in Creative Endeavors starring him soon. Last time I wrote there was when I was writing Shit Outta Luck, and that was a pretty long time ago.

Day 422 (30 day seasons)

My character hasn’t seen another living human for almost 50 days. Not that he’s much human himself, anyway. Recently brought in the summer crop, consisting of carrots, corn, pumpkins, onions and tomatoes. Make for some good meals, and once dehydrated, a lot of stockpile of goods for the future.
Lost my customized vehicle/half-track/cargo truck in a freak accident. Either as a symptom of schizophrenia, or a side-effect of the Thorazine drug, fell asleep behind the wheel and went straight into a forest. Knocked down heaps of trees before the front half was practically sliced in two, shattering the engine and batteries and making an enormous mess. Not sure how I survived, but maybe the military harness I had instead of seatbelt helped.
Thinking maybe of building a fast motorbike next, for agile navigations on both streets and in cities. My only concern though is having a gas tank so close to me on a small vehicle. That and the idea of a grappler zombie getting too close, grappling me, then insta-killing me by dragging me under the wheels of my own vehicle.

Went down a lab - just climbed down. Wasn’t really prepared as I wanted to stay away from the area since I wanted to keep the human corpses fresh. Alas, no choice but to go down, and my survivor went straight down.

Bottom floor. Security bots have been destroyed, center of the room doesn’t have the glass walls, so I ended up getting energy weapons for no effort.

Also butchered a number of scientists and bio-operators (who were killed by the bots). Found bionic claws and a number of other handy CBMs. Four shots of adderall, four shots of caffeine pills and four coffees and all the bionics were easily installed.

Also, quite amusingly, about three NPCs my survivor near my base gives the zombie mom quest. Funny thing is that the zombie mom always spawns in the sole house that I made my base.

Some of the canned food (notably canned fruit) is rather limited on what you can do with them, but being able to preserve them nonetheless is a boon. I may just end up building a base aboveground instead of converting an ice lab into a base.

That said, there’s an ice lab relatively close to my base. During spring I managed to drop off quite a lot of uncooked hot dogs down there. Still kinda sad that you need them to make the cannibal meal cheater chili dogs.

Just looted a second hospital clean and still didn’t get a stethoscope which is the only reason I cleared it out to begin with. I was able to make a survivor’s wetsuit so the spitter zombies weren’t too big of a deal, but I hope I don’t have to clear out too many more of them.

Try doc-offices, ambulances, and vet clinics

Ambulances have been my most common place to find them in the last few months, but FEMA camps can have them, too (in the one concrete building in the middle), and that’s been the second most common.