What's Happening in YOUR Randomly-generated Apocalypse?

[quote=“Voqar, post:11637, topic:47”]Well, updating to the latest (to try to ditch a previously never happening crash with reloading tailor kit) during a run was a terrible idea, since jacks have been rendered butt useless no idea what “lifting equipment” is or where to get it, so can no longer deal with tires on anything but a bicycle, apparently.

Acetylene torches have got the ammo treatment, since magazines are such a great idea. The game has about 500 things that run on batteries, including many things that would never run on batteries, but why be consistent when making things annoying and adding hassle is the dev theme lately (and sadly that’s getting to be consistent).

Not to mention, our superheroes can fabricate bionics in the back of a truck with a screwdriver or make mutagens out of bleach but creating fuel/power for an acetylene torch, oh no, that’s way too complicated - can’t craft that.

What’s next…let’s split screwdrivers into philips and flat head - because just having one screwdriver isn’t very realistic. Chop chop!

As I’ve stated previously, this IS a game, and randomly adding tedium to the game to make one out of the hundreds of elements of the game more realistic makes very little sense. It’s selective realism in a game full of oodles of unrealistic elements - there’s a whole thread on things that aren’t realistic (but that make for great gameplay, which IMO, is being ruined by these types of mutilations).

Oh well, I suppose somebody other than the random dev that adds these random tediums to the game must like these changes, so I guess it’s all good. It’s curbing my desire to play this game anymore and that’s not all bad, can get to my extensive backlog.

Cheers[/quote]
Judging from the tone of the posts you’ve been making I get the impression that you’re unhappy with some of the recent changes. If you can voice your concerns and suggestions in a constructive way the contributing developers may be sympathetic towards them. From what I’ve seen the dev team isn’t very random at all; there’s a core of people who consistently contribute and they do take input from the issue trackers and message board into account.

As for the update, Elijah finished clearing out the vault. In the end it looks like the representatives of the government that he’d been sent to assist were killed by irriadiated wanderers long before he found them. Having found the experience of the vault and everything leading up to it exhausting, he drove back to the ranch. After greeting the gatekeepers and the familiar faces within, he went to sit by the pond for a bit. He laid down his arms, closed his eyes, and settled his roots into the soil.

Elijah Woods retired after one year of play, 91 day seasons. Senior Citizen turned post-thresh Plant experienced everything life had to offer then decided to have a nap.

New survivor started in an evac center next door to a fungal bloom. Made two friends, one sent him on a journey to kill a Jabberwock in his backyard. He’s been working up to it while getting ready to move out of the neighborhood. Mushrooms and Jabberwockies make poor neighbors.

Today I learned a very important lesson - don’t play when you are very tired. Last night I apparently accidentally suicided my survivor. Rest in peace Travis Gibson. :frowning:

After a long, tedious escape from the lab, Ken decided to carve out a home on the upper floor and entrance of the lab. In the first few days he brought all the loot he found in the lab and sorted them out neatly in tables including all the materials he mined from having to tunnel around a lava rift to armories raided for weapons and ammunition. He also set out to make a smoking rack and a charcoal kiln and forge to start on projects and preserve the raw meat he’s acquired. He then raided surrounding towns for more supplies, but most notably - a mansion which he decided to fully take advantage of the loot inside. There he found two martial art books - Practical Eskrima and The Book of Five Rings. Eskrima helped immensely with the machete he was using to slay undead foes, however The Book of Five Rings told a different story - he was truly inspired by the art form of its contents, more so when he accidentally stepped on a land mine and had his leg mangled, to which this event he read tales of wandering Samurai. After his leg healed, which was quick due to his mutagenic abilities he set off to remove himself from this area in which the pickings are quite scarce to move on and find greener pastures. He first set out on a vehicle, he found a police car in decent shape next to a large metal wreckage. Repurposing the materials on the wreckage he basically built a new car - piece by piece and reinforced it with heavy duty frames, steel platings and reinforced windshields and headlights completed with solar panels, two cargo carriers, two 60L gas tanks and clean/dirty water tanks with a bed and a kitchen buddy with its needed unit. After attaching the spiked ram in the front, he truly marveled at his creation. With his vehicle finally completed, he set out and made a katana and back scabbard. He then discarded his old military-styled clothing in favor for a more weatherproof traditional set of Japanese clothing made for comfort, warmth and travel with a chain mail hood and vest scavenged at the mansion earlier and crafted metal arm guards and iron greaves for extra protection against living and dead. Curious to what the deepest area of the lab holds for him, he went to the deepest level and found a CVD machine. After the discovery, he quickly added a deadly diamond edge to his weapon. With all this set up - he boarded into his car and drove off - wishing that somewhere out there, people have banded together against the cataclysm.

Cleared out my starting town and moved on to another one, and almost killed myself trying to kill a zombie dog. I was in a random car to kill a fat zombie that got stuck in it, and the zombie dog comes by as I’m butchering it… without thinking I used the reach attack on my spear mechanically and hit the gasoline tank on the car creating an explosion that scared the hell out of me. If I didn’t find power armor in a spider basement I would have been a sad camper.

NPC brains are exploding round here… First time i noticed THAT.

............#........................................................... ┌─────┐ HEAD ||||| :| ........................................................................ │.....│ TORSO ||||| ........................................................................ │.....│ L ARM ||||\ E...F ...............f......................................................... │┬─c──│ R ARM ||||| ......................................................................... ││....│ L LEG ||||| Focus 49 ^ .......................................................................... ││....│ R LEG ||||| km/h 74> 75 Stm ||||| ..........#..................................f............................ └─────┘ POWER ── Comfortable .f.......................%................................................ road Clear .........................................f................................. Moon ( ) Lighting: bright ........................................................................... Winter, day 62 1843.18 Sound 0 ..................................................................#........ fire axe Normal ............................................................................ ............................................................................ NW: North: NE: ............................................................................ West: East: ............................................................................ SW: South: SE: ............................................................................ ............................................................................. From the southwest you hear crunch! ............................................................................. From the northeast you hear whirrr! ............................................................................. From the north you hear hummm! ............................................................................. Hummm! x 2 ............................................................................. From the south you hear hummm! ............................................................................. From the south you hear hummm! ............................................................................. A pike leaps from the deep water! ............................................................................. From the north you hear hummm! ............................................................................. A salmon leaps from the deep water! ..............┌#─'─┐......................................................... A pike dives into the deep water! 8....HH&@"│......................................................... From the southeast you hear hummm! ..............HHHH"│......................................................... From the northwest you hear whirrr! ..............└──'─┘......................................................... From the southwest you hear whirrr! ............................................................................. From the southeast you hear crash! ............................................................................. From the west you hear hummm! ............................................................................. From the east you hear hummm! ............................................................................. From the northwest you hear hummm! ............................................................................. From the east you hear hummm! ............................................................................. From the west you hear hummm! x 2 .....................................................f....................... From the southeast you hear hummm! .....................................................................#....... From the south you hear hummm! ..............................f............................................. From the south you hear hummm! ............................................................................ From the south you hear hummm! ...........................#................................................ From the south you hear hummm! ............................................................................ From the south you hear hummm! ......f.......................................................#............. From the south you hear hummm! ........................................................................... From the south you hear hummm! ........................................................................... From the south you hear hummm! x 2 .................................................#......................... From the south you hear hummm! .......................................................................... From the southwest you hear hummm! x 2 .......................................................................... From the west you hear hummm! ....*..................................................................... From the west you hear hummm! ......................................................................... From the west you hear hummm! x 3 ......................................................................... Michal Faust's brain explodes! ........................................................................ Michal Faust dies! ............................f.................................f......... From the west you hear hummm!
Btw, the color was all lost, but it still beats screenshoting.

how did you get that plaintext printout?

Running cata on a terminal. Easy to copy paste text from there.

did he try to eat a lighter or something?

i found a lighter on the body. got no debug message though.

Day 12. Lots of progress made, though at this point, I’m already sitting pretty. Got the makings of a proper armory. I came across a trackless Self-Propelled Howitzer, which I gleefully cannibalized. Upgraded my engine from a 4.72L V6 to two 7.56L V8s. Once I get 12 Mechanics, you’d better believe I’m popping the third one of those on, too. Got a very nice haul from a spider basement. Laser turret, plasma rifle, Rivtech scout rifle, heavy power armor helmet, and basic power armor. Ah, and an electrohack with which to pick the e-gun safe that was also there. Also picked up a Rivtech shotgun somewhere along the way. Still using my trusty M1014, though, since there’s been a dearth of the proper ammo. Finally got a PBA drop to replace my filter mask, too. My starting city is really big. I’ve cleared the southeast corner and I’m working west.

Happened on the triffid grove. Fortunately, and hilariously, it’s within city limits. A car’s gas tank went up, and it’s causing quite the show. Not at the grove itself (yet), but still proves exactly why fire is the best solution. Meanwhile, I’m about to dive in with just leather armor and my trusty shotgun. Oh, and C-4 for the triffid heart itself.

EDIT: While still hilarious, I remembered that while I lack a power source, I still have full power armor. This is infinitely preferable to being needled slowly to death. Aborted my initial approach in favor of changing. Unfortunately, I can’t hit the broad side of a barn, so I’m using my shotgun exclusively for wall bashing and using the 00 shot that would have gone to it as breaching charges instead. Working well so far.

Came across another mini-town again. Two, actually. One has two buildings, one grocery store and a house, and the other has four buildings, all of them houses. Cleared out the former, and kinda made it into the current base of operations.

In general, I’m still doing my usual organizing zaniness, but in consideration of the size of the place I’m keeping storage relatively simple. Like with guns; instead of having designated containers for each weapon skill type, I’m putting all the guns in one box; all the handguns, rifles, etc. Then another box for magazines, another one for ammo, another for gun mods, and another for melee weapons, and another for explosives.

What the, RNG…

Due to the location, had to shoot down a shocker brute. Survived. For this survivor, this was the first shocker brute he took down, and at a pretty basic survival skill (level 3) and a steak knife he got a power storage (okay), fusion blaster arm (eh)… and the unified power system bionic. And somehow that basement (the one that has two long counters on the left and right side), had a UPS conversion kit.

Now I need my survivor to grind out his electronics and first aid to get that UPS on him. Or pump him full of adderals, whichever’s better.

Well… Plan C-4 was a resounding flop. Due to the nature of Z-levels and the reality bubble, there turned out to be no safe way for me to detonate it. After retreating up to ground level, nothing happened, so I had to stick around one level above. Naturally, when it finally did go off, it dropped me down a level, far from the stairs back up. To add insult to injury, the triffid heart wasn’t actually appreciably harmed by the blast. Big field of fire, and I know for a fact that I tossed the charge to a square adjacent, but the stupid thing is sitting a good dozen or so squares away, safe and surrounded by creeper vines. I now mightily regret the lack of fireproof gear on my person, because that’s exactly what I ended up needing. Got blown up when the fire caught up with me and my ammo cooked off. On the plus side, at least I managed to take the heart with me. There’s that. Given that caffeine and sheer cussedness are all that’s keeping me awake, I think I’ll heed that portent and get some sleep. I’ll roll up another character in the whenever-I-wake-up.

Revenge has been done. That hostile NPC who emptied his 9mm ammo on my survivor? Death by shotgun blasts.

In less hostile NPC stuff; gathered five NPCs who have a lot to teach my survivor. Basically bought their alliance by supplying them with empty damaged guns and now they’re all shacked up in one house.

Had to debug one of them though. His torso was infected, and wasn’t using the first aid kit my survivor gave him. Used the NPC edit command to lower his torso hit points and that seemed to get him to act and use the first aid kit, disinfecting the wound in the process.

It’s still spring, so for most part my survivor is living off the perishable food and drink looted from the towns. Basically a diet of mostly fruits and vegetables with the odd meat pizza or cheese fries thrown in and fruit juices.

Also, survivor zeds no longer drop survivor gear? Kinda a shame, but I suppose it’s understandable considering that it can be relatively easy to nab a full set of serviceable survivor gear early on. Gonna have to work hard to get a survivor wetsuit and survivor wetsuit boots to become immune to acid. So far the zombies are more or less not evolved; haven’t seen a hulk yet and at worst there’s a few shocker brutes shining at night. Need to gather more supplies before that happens so I can get my survivor slowly trained to better handle fighting.

I-it’s OK. I… I didn’t want to pick those crops anyway.

but nothing beats landmine in toilet

I found a natural artifact…

a warm napkin

So! Rolled up a lab challenge build. No gimmicks aside from good old-fashioned minmaxing. Survived for three days trying to hunt down a USB with HackPro on it. Decked myself out in some great CBMs while I was at it. Then I realized that I had the means to escape pretty much the whole time. I had crafted myself an electrohack on the first day or so. All I needed was an EMP grenade, which I threw together before dashing up to ground level. Below are the mandatory pics:

Needless to say, I’ll be back when I’m no longer in danger of starvation.

I usually brute force lab starts. That or find a teleporter and cross my fingers at the door.

Fallout 2 reference? I vaguely remember an explosion happening in an outhouse there. I’ve never seen a landmine anywhere near a toilet in Cata.