What's happening in YOUR randomly generated apocalypse? Part 2!

I found a freakin Lab next to a Bunker next to an outpost next to a mansion. Epic gamer moment.

6 Likes

Bonus points if you connect them all by tunnel and recreate Metro complete with pigs and mushroom farms groups of survivors in each to hide from the fallout.

How does one avoid to get dead from acid leak with the broken cyborg ?

This wiki guide is a pretty good place to start: http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Guide:_Broken_Cyborg

the wiki is so out of sync that it still thinks you can remove bionics by yourself and insta heal with medical supplies.
But I guess a way would be indeed to have fast healer and to hoard medical supplies.
The abandoned challenge might not be doable in broken cyborg though, the frail trait on top of everything else hurts a lot.

This makes me think of making a piecemeal mobile base. Never thought about using multiple seperate vehicles to form a single adaptive base. I’ll have to come up with some blueprints.

How useful would that actually be though? If you wanted to move your base, you would have to drive each section individually, then WALK BACK to the other vehicles and repeat. Unless you cheat and use the debug teleport of course. And even then you would still have to drive every single vehicle to your new base site.

Unless long distance teleoperation becomes a thing, it seems like the tedium involved would make such a design much less practical than a single large mobile base vehicle.

Have various components on bike racks, so you can pop them off as needed.

1 Like

Meh, probably not very. Seems like an interesting idea though. The main problems I see with it are the amount of cargo space you’d need on your vehicle and dependant on the map you’re on. If a map has too many cities, there’s too many resources and if the cities are sparse, the travel time would be too high. You could always use a foldable bike for travel between vehicles though.

My “mobile base” is 4x5 with a Kitchen Buddy (for the water purifier), Mobile Chem lab (for the faucet and hotplate, Vehicle mounted forge, and a minifreezer (for the great food preservation). I like to keep things small and maneuverable… minimalist. I also have a bed, with a foldable seat and a bunch of heavy duty stow boards to block line of sight and carry my necessaries… like a welding rig and various other electric tools.

This is a pretty nice vehicle. Because I’ve blocked LOS from the bed driving position, I can drive through Zombieville’s all over the map without having to fight any of them, unless I choose to… same with ants.

When I choose to, I have the duel Avalanches that handle almost every problem a major city can throw at you… the 250 round capacity hoppers last for a nice while… I’ve found eight hoppers can generally handle a good sized city. Ammo is extremely cheap and easily replaceable. For the Skeletal Zuggernauts I can either opt to fight them myself unarmed, ( I can’t post my stats in this post cause I’m a newb to the site and I’ve already included one .png file. If anyone is interested I’ll post in a follow up) or I can use the Perforator Turret up front.

But generally I don’t fight the whole city, I just drive up to the bank or whatever, find a nice open spot to park the the car, turn on the Avalanches and do the bank while zombies rush my vehicle.

Sometimes when I leave the bank I can zoom the map out and see a circle of dead zombies on a square tile based map.

Point of all this being that a good vehicle means you don’t have to carry a bunch of supplies and raw materials. My car has a lot of stuff packed away for crafting, but it also has a fold up frame that I have a small a .6 cylinder engine (with controls and stuff) on. I use this to charge my batteries while I sleep… so that means the range of my car is pretty much… whatever. Gasoline is easy to find and that .6 will charge all those batteries on one 10 liter tank. Not that they every get discharged that far. My turrets don’t use that much power… mostly because I haven’t found a laser pistol. But six fully enhanced quantum panels produce over 2300 during the daylight… so mostly I don’t have to use gas to charge.

So, consider the idea that your mobile base doesn’t have to be huge, you can carry the bare necessities and best loot, and then scrounge the stuff you need as you need it. This strategy allows you to explore constantly with great range.

Another great car engine setup is to just replace one of the enhanced electric motors with a 1 liter V-twin. Then you stack on the various alternators… or if you are lucky a generator and the combination of generator and electric motor turns your mobile base into something like a modern diesel freight engine. The motive power comes from electricity which is very quiet in game but the juice comes from gasolina. It’s not fast, but it goes forever on a tiny bit of gasoline.

Other tips:

My car also has quantum solar panels that have been enhanced using a soldering iron… Enhancing them not only makes them tougher… it makes them create more electricity.

Same same with many other vehicle parts. Can’t find an electric sports car for it’s sweet enhanced large electric motors? Just enhance a regular large electric motor and it’s damn near as good… heavier though.

Can do the same to frames… In fact you can pretty much enhance every vehicle component EXCEPT enhanced electric motors…which I suppose is sensible if a bit disappointing.

Haven’t tried enhancing large storage batteries yet…

Note: This is an easy play character… This character is about the easiest one I’ve put together for handling all game situations. The blackbelt profession means I can handle almost all beginning confrontations with ease… I run from spitters and acid zombies in the beginning. Important to pick the right stats to go with the right martial arts skill. But martial arts combat is very powerful indeed… you never need to reload or find bullets.

Just mutated this guy through the Cephlapod tree. Unarmed he does around 150 on crits using Zui Quan. Damage is intelligence based so the Cep mutations are very good for this char. I looking to find a Dragon martial arts technique book. I think his damage will spike to around 250 or so.

No armor is good for high dodge char. get huge bonuses… it seems. If you’ll look my dodge is showing 10 levels higher than my training.

So the whole char was designed with all this in mind. Just took out two Skeletal Jugs at the same time without getting hit…

Oh yeah, foldable vehicles can be carried downstairs. So you can use them to loot dungeons or mount portable turrets and stuff. I carry one downstairs loot a floor and leave everything on the upstair I’m using. Makes things way easier, though probably less intensely fun.

Lots of possibilities with fold up frames… just saying.

So you can see my stats and build. Lots of CBMs and mutations.

Playing Cataclysm on an new and unfamiliar keyboard is annoying. Hopefully I get used to it soon.

Alpha Cyborg Rob Keys was casually wiping out zombies in a small town just for fun the other day. Loot was pretty poor, until he decided to look through the recycling center. Some varied and interesting junk showed up, but nothing really worthwhile, until in the paper bin, he found a copy of Zui Quan and You, which he’s been looking for for probably two in-game years now? It’s been a long time. I just wanna say, recycling centers are fun, like a slot machine full of odds and ends.
Rob is now just missing Snake, Lizard, and Bionic Combatives to have every martial art style listed on the wiki! (Edit: Playing briefly late last night, found The Lizard Kuo Chui in a used bookstore just the next town over!)

As a bonus, an anthill to the east spawned plenty of acidic ants who have provided some biosilicified chitin armor for the more fragile parts of the Sun Wave. A decent trade for whatever was inside the military bunker they tunneled out, the jerks. (That and setting off all those mines north of the bunker, which surprisingly damaged parts of the Sun Wave despite being at the far end of the reality bubble.)

I just got deafened after driving into a shrub, it seems a bit weird … X)

1 Like

Ok, that just sounds completely useful

Yeep, one o’ those shriekin’, Mi-go eating, super shrubs. Me and the boys use those as bait in the winter months when we run out of fresh Cat

Huh, I just found a random bike and used it to float on water hmm…

2 Likes

Made a Lawyer character at a refugee center start. Planned on acquiring a whole bunch of minions/cannon fodder with my exemplary speech skills.
Turns out static NPC’s have an IQ in the negatives and I can’t recruit anyone unless it comes with an exorbitant price tag.

With that being said, I had no combat skills whatsoever so I decided to raid a small, nearby town at night. Aiming to get books and food, and maybe some better clothes and a weapon.

First store I ran into, I grabbed a grocery cart and entered a milsurp store. Guess what I find? Basic Power Armor. With that, I was encumbered but basically invincible. I grabbed a army helmet and some sunglasses to protect my head and proceeded to loot the town, bashing zombies with a pipe if need be. I raided a nearby antique shop and upgraded to a khopesh temporarily.

It came down to a vet clinic, thinking i’d find just some meds but I find two machetes and some basic painkillers. Equipping my newfound main weapon I looted some high end clothing store, a grocery store and finally the gun store and camping outlet. With everything done within a night I headed back to the refugee center and equipped my new stylish clothing.

Damn good start, guess when you expect nothing that’s when RNGesus decides to gift you everything.

4 Likes

Please tell me you added a boat hull before doing that. If so, super cool! If not, I’ll go squash that bug soon.

1 Like

Nope was just moving a random bike out of the way of my car (it also sunk when I pushed against it sideways). Also the gel pouch (under) conflict with boat hulls if you didn’t already know, as only one or the other fits in a tile, which is disappointing because my car can’t be completely covered with hull with this, don’t know if this is intended or not.