What's happening in YOUR randomly generated apocalypse? Part 2!

The only thing you missed in your calculations is the harness which only adds another 3L for a total of 27.5L.
I suspect that this character has packmule, which will further increase the volume by 40% giving us 27.5 * 1.4 = 38.5L of storage as depicted in the screenshot.

3 Likes

Completely forgot about that. I always play with packmule, such an amazing perk that i play with all the time, it just never crossed my mind.

I lack a computer or even a crappy laptop at the moment, so Ive taken to the mobile version to get my fix.

Allastair Whisker, a corporate executive with no relation to any megalomaniacal fanatics, found himself in a dingy little evac building. No help wad coming and all his money in one place was making him feel a little cramped, so he decided to walk his golden robots down to a local grocer to get some refreshments.
Then he got shot by a turret and dropped like a sack of potatoes.

2 Likes

I’ve been making amazing progress. My main two goals are to find a niten book so I can finally use my katana well, and find RM13 Combat Armor so I can tackle some end-game areas much more comfortably. In hindsight I should’ve taken the martial art at chargen but I didn’t imagine having THIS much trouble with it.

In any case, I raided a whole bunch of labs, a research facility, did quests for the cleansing flame and hub scientist area, along with mutating completely to the chimera tree. I had some crazy RNG and left with a net positive that I can live with. I have some insane combat stats now, my bashing is 8, cutting & melee is 11, and dodging is 10, halfway to being 11.
It’s pretty far into the summer, and i’m currently running around with jean shorts and a tank top, going barefoot due to having padded feet, and i’m enjoying some great bionics that I grabbed from scientist bodies and by dissecting scientists, shockers and bio-operators.

Currently in a lab just training my dodge on a zombie wrestler, my dodge skill is going up super high and it’s amazing how fast apex predator + fast learner can make things so much easier and less of a tedious grind. After I can’t level up my dodge anymore i’ll go find a medical mutagen guide and hopefully get some regeneration/healing traits.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’m excited or dissapointed about my current run. I started a new game after a long break and went for the ‘Large Building’ scenario to start on top of an apartment tower. It took a few tries to figure out how to outrun the many zombies on the roof, but it didn’t take long before I found myself on the second highest floor with only a single zombie to kill (unarmed) and started looting.

As it turns out … apartment towers are STACKED. There are tons of food and resources on each level, that I could live in the tower for months without going out. For some reason, I think all the zombies in the tower jumped out the window, for I haven’t found for three levels. Below is a shot of the books I found on the first two levels.

Starting in a large building gives you a single point for character creation, because of surrounded start, but with the resources of an apartment tower, it should probably cost points. It almost feels like cheating to start this good. But we’ll see how far I get :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do abominations dream of recursive recursion?

cdda-fjreoighno

2 Likes

I want to start out by saying I’m so happy to still be playing on an older version.
Anyways, just finished constructing my third welder.
1 for inside my base as a workstation, another for portability and to throw in the back of my vehicle, and another with casters to repair any vehicles I pull up to my base.

Now, something tells me this is the wrong book for this place… or is it?

cataclysm-tiles_2020_04_06_19_29_24_371

2 Likes

I’m assuming you’ve yet to investigate a church basement.

Just finished up my lab exploration, the zombie wrestler down there really helped when it came to training my dodge to 15. It was pretty easy, just train dodge until my focus was down to 20-ish and run up the elevator, take a nap in my car, get focus to 100 and repeat. The 15 dodge will be super useful, since with modifiers my dodge is somewhere around 22, which is great, since I literally have no armor on whatsoever because if I did i’d overheat and die since it’s summer.

Case in point ^^^

Here’s a look at my melee skills.
Pro tip: If you’re a little chunky like me and it’s the summer, fruits are a great diet food.

I started a new character not long ago, and not far from the evac shelter she began in, she crossed a swamp, across a river bridge and found a dairy farm. After setting up base there, she began exploring further east and found a vineyard with a big field full of vegetables.

She is pretty green in combat, so a battered car on the road in between the two worked to smash zombies at the vineyard.

She packed a travois with a bunch of cat tails during her slog through the swamp and was going to grind them down into flour, but with a steady supply of milk, she cut those and the farm veggies down for seeds and is in the process of planting her 300ish seeds. After those are in the ground, charcoal kilns and smokers are the next big project to dehydrate her future crops. If she can find some more survivors, I think there’s a good foundation for a thriving community.

2 Likes

(Got cocky and killed last character, so here is a Robotics Intern in Missed scenario)

Forrest Sterling is actually doing pretty well. It took a while to get set up as the first two weeks of spring was spent recovering from a broken arm while trying to scavenge a bit without destroying the healing process. It helped a bit that he found a friend in a cabin close to the larger city, where he set up base. Forrest got quite a surprise, when he saw another survivor decked out in full military gear - but this one is really not worth much as a soldier (see below).

By now it is little more than halfway through Spring, and they have only cleared a small bit of town, but enough to get some pretty decent gear. Forrest with a rapier and Vincenzo wielding a zweihänder. By now they can reasonably take on smaller packs of zombies without too much trouble. But the city is still swarming (1.5x zombie spawn…) so the only way to raid a garage and a pharmacy was to load up the car and drive the long way around.

Now is the time to heal. I get so impatient in this game, so Forrest’s head has been at less than half health for at least a few weeks, and now his torso is in a single line. So, heal up, and then there is time to explore.

1 Like

Marksmanship 4, rifles 5, “not much of a soldier”… wut.
You know how many rifleman NPCs better than this I’ve found in all my time playing CDDA? Exactly one.

Str 7, asthmatic, clumsy, pain sensitive, squeamish.
Sure, he would be excellent at a rifle range, but as a front line soldier, that is not exactly an optimal set of traits.

But I will grant that I do enjoy the few times, I have allowed him to use his M4A1 that he came with :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Huh. All the jarheads you could have found after the apocalypse, and you just so happened to find me.

2 Likes

That’s fair. I must admit that my inital judgement was likely the result of a romanticized version of what a soldier is. Thanks for the correction.

Today, my survivor watched this epic duel:
cataclysm-tiles_2020_04_11_19_38_13_023

It reminded her(and me) of this

Too bad there’s no internet after the Cataclysm…

1 Like

Decided to make a new character since my current char is at a point where she’s accomplished many of her goals and she’s really begun thriving. It’s great but felt like the struggle of the early game again for a little while.
Enter Carolyn, my new handy woman. She started out in a riverside cabin with her hammer and multitool & little else. She quickly broke down a chair to make herself a cudgel for protection. There wasn’t much to eat and there wasn’t any decent gear left to wear, so after spending the night taking stock of anything that could be useful, she set out the next morning with what little she could stuff into her pockets and a crude slingshot she tucked into her tool belt. Figuring the river provided at least some protection on one side, Carolyn walked the riverbank upstream in search of any other signs of civilization or life. Eventually she happened upon a tree farm that was deserted, save for a few mink from the nearby river foraging in the tree lot. There was a shovel there but she couldn’t carry it and her cudgel so after some deciding she left the cudgel and took her new shovel - at least it could serve a few purposes.

Moving up the access road from the tree farm, Carolyn spotted a few squat buildings that didn’t look like any sort of residence, but maybe people might be there anyway. It wasn’t deserted, but there wasn’t anyone Carolyn wanted to mingle with, either. Zombies, perhaps half a dozen more mundane looking undead, a pair in police uniforms and three more in military fatigues. There were more dead soldiers too, but they lay on the ground still, not shambling around with the rest of their unit. Having seen them before they noticed her, Carolyn tried to sneak through the lumber fields and over to a building where they wouldn’t see her. Her plan seemed to have worked perfectly, not a single zombie noticed her… but a series of low snarls proved she didn’t go completely undetected. A pack of five wolves spotted her and were approaching her from the other side.

Sure this would be the end of her life if she didn’t act immediately, Carolyn rounded the corner of the building she was hiding behind, toward the group of zombies, with a pack of wolves on her heels and ran for an adjacent building she saw with a big metal garage door with a pulley to lift it. She got the door lifted and scooted through but as she was working the inside pulley to drop the door back into place, two wolves began tearing into her side and her leg. Screaming in pain and fear, she kept trying to drop the big garage door - maybe she could deal with one or two wolves if the rest of the pack and all the zombies were locked out on the other side. Finally the lever disengaged and the door dropped. There were yelps of pain and then she was alone. The door came crashing down and smashed the pair of wolves attacking her beneath it.

Carolyn just stood there, numb, for several minutes. She couldn’t take her eyes off the crushed wolves as she listened to the remainder of the pack and the group of zombies now fighting each other outside the garage door. Finally, she snapped back to her senses, ran over toward a window and broke it open. She scrambled out to the street where the merely dead soldiers lay, picked up a rifle and marched back toward the wolf-zombie fight. The zombies were just finishing off the last wolf and didn’t even seem to notice her opening fire on them. Two dropped by her rifle, a third was almost dead and the last zombie died as the others were killing off the last wolf. One last shot and she was all alone once again.

PS - smashing 2 wolves to death with a garage door had to have been the most unexpected, fun kill I’ve had in the game so far.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this bugfeature was fixed but in older versions you could suicide(without warning) by closing such doors while standing under them.

I made a new character to get familiar with the new features in 0.E: meet Grandpa Thompson!
“I never thought I could shoot down a German plane. But last year, I proved myself wrong.”

The biggest fun with this character is that he chanced upon a real, well-mantained, sharp katana and went full Kill Bill. Setting up the battlefield ha allowed him to take out zombies by the dozen at a time: mostly, by piling some furniture near a windows and killing them as they try to get through one at the time.

Now the shelter has solar panels on the roof linked to fridges, a recharging station and a chem set. Got a few batteries and lots of tools.
Now, I just need to rise Electronics from 3 to 4 so I can remove those annoying security system and grab one of those sweet vehicles…

1 Like