What is the best building to convert into a base?

A few builds ago I’d’ve said substations because of their fences and how zombies, save for stronger ones, couldn’t break them down - but now the fence is no match to their superfingers.

I personally think it’s silly how easily an unarmed zombie can tear down a fence, but whatever. What building is now the best to fortify?

Doesn t realy matter to me which… i just dig holes all around and put pointy sticks in them o.o everything dies.

I tend to be somewhat nomadic I will stay in one place for a while often about 5days and generally no more than a season (20 day season length) then move on, often use LMOE or Evac shelters, occasionally settle in labs (if it’s non-ice) or military bunkers. Very rarely anywhere in a town unless it’s a very small town that can be cleared out fairly easily.

LMOE Shelters, no fortification needed.

I dig some holes too,or build log/wooden walls around my base xD every building could be a perfect base,infact for me the best place is a building near a river and a city :slight_smile:

yeah ressources in the vicinity are the deciding factor for me as well (y)

[QUOTE]yeah ressources in the vicinity are the deciding factor for me as well (y)[/QUOTE]
Right! :smiley:

Any house with a basement.

A cathedral. Huge space, nigh-impenetrable walls, only 6 doors and no windows, a way out through the basement, and a near unlimited supply of two-by-fours and nails. The only thing it lacks is a way to get a vehicle in and out.

A stone church is a poor substitute. The windows have to be barricaded, there is barely any room, and there isn’t a basement.

In my current game I set up in a motel.
Most likely because it was the first thing I came across (besides Labs and Bunkers)
However, it has plenty of relatively enclosed space to park and work on vehicles, an unlimited watersupply and tons of rags to make myself some clothing.
Also has a junkfood supply, however I picked junkfood intolerance.

Armored RV

Post-threshold Rat mutant here.

I’ve taken to the sewers and made myself a fortress via burrowing.

These sewers are great; they’re like a pest-free highway between two small towns (one of which is so infested with hulks that I dare not step foot in it during the day) and they also run into an ant hill, so I can hunt too.

I find evac shelters to be fairly decent. This is because they’re a pretty decent size, both topside and the underground basement is good too as a nice emergency shelter incase of a random horde or make a good sleeping room. Evac shelters also tend to be a good distance from towns and they’re already got windows with curtains, lockers for storage, computers that you can deconstruct (like furniture) for all sorts of juicy electronics stuff, and benches for smashing or something.

I still like my waste treatment facility. It has two computers for crafting and reading by night, a basement that has useable space (and in my case delicious ants), a couple of rooms topside for organizing and storing goodies, and a water supply. It needs to be boiled for any form of safety, but it’s great when you don’t have to leave the house to get water.

Next to no exterior windows, and two ways out. I mean, the north-facing door has glass walls, which is theoretically bad, but I don’t use that room except to quickly check if there’s hostiles outside (Without actually going outside - most things near me in the forest cannot smash the walls down.) I’ve got spikey pits two spaces deep in front of those windows just in case.

I’m considering removing the glass walls and filling in those pits, and making that front room into a very small garage for the ad-hoc vehicle I’m working on. If I do, I will still have two doors and a buffer room between my living space and outdoors. (three doors and two rooms if I use the east-facing exit. It’s going to keep your scent indoors during the night, for sure.)

The only thing I’d like better is to edit that room to the basement (I had to hack to get the door open) so it has tables instead of a pipe along the wall. I keep all my stuff there. Maybe I’d take out that wall piece too so the pipe-hallway and the regular hallway are one room. I just need to not collapse the ceiling while I do it!

I prefer living in a mansion. Its a pretty bad location though. so. many. windows. so mansion = no. c:

[quote=“Rivet, post:12, topic:7936”]Post-threshold Rat mutant here.

I’ve taken to the sewers and made myself a fortress via burrowing.

These sewers are great; they’re like a pest-free highway between two small towns (one of which is so infested with hulks that I dare not step foot in it during the day) and they also run into an ant hill, so I can hunt too.[/quote]

I am fucking 100% sure you’re in the same world as I am. When I spawned in the new patch I was panicking running around being chased by a horde (new zombies are pretty gr8 m8) and I ended up clambering into the sewers via a manhole. I went south through an anthill an into another town.

Zombies living in the mansions make them even less desirable: they require clearing out, and if they see you outside they have a dumb habit of breaking those giant window-walls and then the whole ceiling collapses. Ouch.

Now, establishing a base elsewhere and using it as a launchpoint to clear out a mansion, and then properly fortify that thing as a season project? That sounds like a great idea for a personal challenge.

The evac shelter has always been a favorite of mine, you are guaranteed to find one in your playthroughs, light to craft by, and a basement in case of hordes.

If I find conveniently placed cabins, I like making those my base. Those don’t actually offer many (or any) advantages, however.

I’ve always been in a house on the edge of town, though i’m currently moving my stuff to a lovely professional garage up the road. Already have the windows boarded up and the northern doorway blocked off. Just need to get a stone fireplace set up for all my cooking needs and some furniture to hold my supplies (I hate leaving stuff on the floors, it’s so untidy! Me? OCD? Nah… No… * tap tap tap * nope! * tap tap *)

I’ve been being alot smarter about zombies this time around too, since I discovered that if their direction isn’t Pinked up, they probably don’t know you’re there.

Off-handed question… don’t pulling the curtains block scent and sight? I thought I read that somewhere

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:18, topic:7936”]The evac shelter has always been a favorite of mine, you are guaranteed to find one in your playthroughs, light to craft by, and a basement in case of hordes.

If I find conveniently placed cabins, I like making those my base. Those don’t actually offer many (or any) advantages, however.[/quote]

Yeah my thing with cabins is that well they’re generally smack in the middle of forests.
So unless you have

A. A supercar for smashing through half the forest.
B. A ton of time for chopping down half of the said forest.

Then yeah you won’t be parking a car right outside of your cabin.