Favorite base

What’s your top three favorite base locations, when choosing a location to put your loot?

Mine are:

1)Sewage treatment plant:console provides light for reading, you can get limitless water from sewage, and they are usually not to far from stuff.

2)Mansion with pool:A little bit open, but if it has a library, and a pool, then it is a good spot to setup base.

3)Military bunker:I like the defensive setup, and with the chain fence added in the latest version, it is a good base to have, the only weakness is lack of water.

1. Sewage Treatment: Same reasons.
  2. Starting Shelter: Too lazy to find somewhere better.
  3. Tent by a river: I like camping… Sucks when a Bear rocks up during the night though.
  1. Top of the Lab! If it’s got a small bunkroom and a chemistry workroom, that’s ideal. Dig pits where the front door used to be and close up the metal doors, you’re pretty secure.

2. I never tried boiling Sewage, but like Sewage plants anyway. I’ll have to give that a shot next time.

3. Starting Shelter. Console for light and underground for safe sleeping.

1. LMOE Shelter. some guns and ammo, food, endless water supply, usually surrounded by plenty of trees for wood, wood stove for smokeless cooking/reading/warmth, several books, some tools, a bed, and a good strong metal door up top.

2. LMOE Shelter.

3. LMOE Shelter.

p.s. plus, since you’re under ground, any turrets you have set up outside won’t keep you awake should you have unwelcome visitors.

I would like LMOE shelters to have a generator or something to light it up.

is there something about the farm that im missing? it seems like it would be the ideal place to stay, given the presumably renewable food source… as long as you are close to water, i guess… i usually just clear out a block of houses that stick out from the main body of the town and use that as kind of a springboard to keep taking little chunks of the town until theres nothing left… thats the plan anyway, but i never seem to get that far >_> T__T

I usually go with sewage treatments or LMOE shelters but my current character got lucky with his starting evac shelter which is very close to a river. I boarded up every window and buildt a bed.
The town is already liberated from Zs and NPCs are populating the area. I wonder how a danger free town will affect the factions system. I’d like to see some territory war.

My dream base however would be a 100% home made house from logs and stuff.

pulsefrequency and Rookie, i’m guessing you guys are both new to the game, so here’s a hint:

if you start near water you will have to relocate soon or die.

The best base I had was a church on the outskirts of town. Stone walls, irregular shape makes it harder for Zs to pathfind to doors, lots of furniture to remodel, computer terminal for late-night reading/sewing, and a toilet to supply water for purifying.

With the latest build it gets less attractive, as toilets are no longer an infinite water supply. I’d be tempted to go for a mansion now - the swimming pool is the new indefinite water source, and providing it’s away from ant hills, fungal spires and triffid groves there should be no trouble with critters after you clear the initial infestation.

1. Cabins - Out in the middle of the woods so plenty of tree's to cut down if needed. Plenty of wild life around for food to cook and besides the cabin feels homey due to the wood structure. I usually burn down tree's to make a path for a vehicle to get to the cabin as well if I dont have an axe to clear a way of course. Besides you get a fireplace with it as well.

2. Farms - Soil already tilled for growing crops if you do not have a shovel, Barn and shed for storing tools and such. Forest nearby and such for wood, I also back up my vehicle in the barn if I have one when I am not using it.

3. Evac Shelter - Providing it's a good bit from town and away from water then this is normally my first base if none of the other two are close. I usually just build a fireplace in there and find a rollmat, cot or something similar to lay on. 

I used to stay in labs till when I would go explore them and come up but sometimes I would get followed by a hulk or a Mi-go. That and the fact it spawns random mobs down there if you linger in there long enough so kind of gave me the hint that it's not safe. 

I also like using tent's if I have a vehicle so I can just keep on the move and getting loot before returning to base. Only thing is it's not safe if something knows your in it and waiting outside the tent for you to greet you face to face haha...

The best base I had was in an evac shelter, had a bed made, fireplace, lots and lots of tools & loot for crafting and such. Tons of guns and ammo in the lockers. Turrets setup on the perimeter, Tons of food in the fridge even though I dont think they work I still have it as a touch and generally just drag one from a house to the shelter. Of course providing none of these are near anthills, groves or fungal towers.

I stopped favouring evac shelters after I got one nicely stocked with a bed, stove, about half a small town’s worth of loot, and then with one mis-keypress set light to the shelter wall instead of the stove.

That’s also when I started including fire extinguishers on my looting list.

1. Evac shelter - not the starting one, since I play with NPCs on and don’t summarily murder them once they stop being useful. It has plenty of material for furniture and is usually close to sources of food (woods as well as towns) and water. It’s large enough for all my storage sorting, and in case I decide to make my own rooms, but small enough that it’s not a pain to go from pile/cabinet to pile. (also, I make my fireplace outside c:)

2. Upper Lab - has a lot of the same appeal of evac shelters. Metal doors provide more security from outside, even with the perma-open entrance, but they tend to be remote and have little food.

3. LMOE shelters - I have only found a few of these in all my time playing, but they are nice. They also tend to be remote, but I like having a little bedroom. Simple pleasures, man.

Other places that are viable but not ideal for me include farms and public works.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:8, topic:2994”]pulsefrequency and Rookie, i’m guessing you guys are both new to the game, so here’s a hint:

Playing since 0.3 and never encounered anything dangerous near a river.

1. Public works.
  2. Outskirts house.
  3. Mansion. It’s pretty simple to board off the unused sections and clear it out.
  4. Sewage treatment.
  5. Apartment block. As Mansion, but it’s harder to clear out.
  6. LMOE shelters. Glorious, but the lack of light annoys me, so I fill them with lightstrips.

ROFL

You are the luckiest Cataclysm player ever.

Now if you don’t mind, I need to run away from these giant frogs, enormous slugs, humungous mosquitos, and hordes of dermatiks that have followed me home from the river.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:8, topic:2994”]pulsefrequency and Rookie, i’m guessing you guys are both new to the game, so here’s a hint:

Why?

You are the luckiest Cataclysm player ever.

Now if you don’t mind, I need to run away from these giant frogs, enormous slugs, humungous mosquitos, and hordes of dermatiks that have followed me home from the river.[/quote]
I swear, I’ve played this game for a long time now and never encountered ANY of those mobs. I read about them in the forums and the wiki… I doubt their existance!!!

Drive your unmuffled RV near a river bank and you’ll see (actually you wont see, with all those insects clogging your view)

A infantry fighting vehicle modified truck counts as a mobile ‘base’, doesn’t it?