What are some things that should be in the Cataclysm?

Oooh, sorta like the smell vision for cbm’s?

A bit like it, yeah, with the obvious exception that it wouldn’t leak through windows, doors, etc. The ‘ping’ would stop at any solid surface and end there (with exceptions for things like metal bars, trees…) revealing everything else in a radius around you.

1 Like

Trainable then ride-able Horses. Fueled by feed and go at the slowest vehicle speed.

4 Likes

I would like to get some time to implement animal engines and rideable horses, but I keep getting too busy with other projects.

If some programmer new to CDDA likes horses and wants a good learning project, I can probably walk someone through the necessary code changes.

8 Likes

I think “prone to headaches/migraines” would be a killer negative trait to implement.

Could you imagine trying to survive whilst suffering a massive pounder of a headache? Give it something like -1 STR, -1 DEX, -2 INT, -2 PER for a headache, and -2 STR, -2 DEX, -4 INT, -4 PER for a migraine, and we’d have a really challenging negative trait to deal with. Throw in more distraction from mounting pain…

Yeah. Keep that aspirin handy.

I like that idea very much. Migraines are truly debilitating and it would be interesting to play a character that had to work around it.

Would it be C++ or JSON to implement such a thing?

Edit: Animals as engines, I mean.

2 Likes

Probably C++, very likely

50% of it is straight JSON - defining the animals as vehicle parts. Fairly straightforward.

There’s a couple of things that would need to be changed in the code:

• the vslot_engine would need to take an optional max speed
  • the max speed code would need to respond the engine’s maximum speed if any
  • a new function, fairly similar to the current function that captures animals, would need to be written. It would need see what kind of animal got captured, free it if it’s the wrong kind of animal, or install the animal engine.

I’m familiar with most of the code, and can mentor someone, but I don’t have time to test and debug it myself.

3 Likes

Well, let me get my JSON sea-legs, and we’ll discuss this again in a month or so, because I’m very interested in contributing.

4 Likes

Add a spaceship in large caves with multiple “things” but with some kind of high tech gear payoff.

1 Like

A controlled way of removing concrete/brick floors would be nice, I try and avoid using the Debug menu but when I found out the pickaxe and jackhammer just come up with a message saying they don’t work and I actually damaged my sledgehammer trying that, I ended up debugging the floor to dirt.

And No, I don’t consider explosives and fire as “controlled” :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Custom chainmail sets and individual parts for mutants, not something that drops but something you have to craft for yourself since you’d have to make it with your own peculiarites in mind. Extra sleeves for extra arms, wing holes for wings, tentacle wraps for tentacles etc should all be craftable if you can already craft the basic stuff and/or have slightly higher tailoring.
Maybe even a revisit on all items like this with the question in mind “Would we REALLY not be able to craft something for that?” Looking at you gasmasks and beaks etc, sure it would stop you pecking but I don’t see why a gasmask with a beak shape in mind wouldn’t be possible.

3 Likes

Plague doctor masks come to mind.

6 Likes

Exactly what I pictured actually.

1 Like

a blanket XL modifaction in the tailor kit menu would be a fantastic solution

1 Like

I can see it not working for somethings, full plate comes to mind as that is surprisingly intricate but a lot of things should be adpatable if you made it with your own mutations in mind.

1 Like

Or XL gasmask/survivor mask…

1 Like

Train tracks and working trains.

1 Like

Was just looking on the gas mask wiki page and saw this:

It’s a gas mask designed for horses during WW1, they also mention having them for dogs (but there isn’t a picture) so it isn’t like there isn’t precedent for making them for animal muzzles, I don’t think a beak would be that much more difficult to design for.

2 Likes