Walking and Running modes

i guess i’ve just missed it, but could someone please remind me why implementing distinct walk and run modes has been rejected?

yeah, i know about the “run mode” we have now, which is basically a monster proximity notification, not properly a run mode. what i am thinking about is pretty much a standard through the gamescape:

[ul][li]walking — slow but relatively quiet (also calories-efficient and stamina non-taxing wherever those stats exist);[/li]
[li]running — fast but noisy (and taxing on stamina or calories pool etc).[/li][/ul]

of course this is not an essential part of a gameplay, cdda is gull of fun stuff. but for me the decision to walk or run in game can be part of the specific atmosphere.

…I’d thought about using the ‘mutation’ menu for this, but I’m stuck on how to make only one activatable at a time. (EG an invisible “run” and “sprint” mutation that tire you differently, but provide more speed while active.)

I believe Kevin said he wanted to work on that.

Ultimately, an additional stat (Constitution), the ability to improve stats and different movement modes are intended, IIRC.
Also Stamina as a replenishable stat was considered.

Personally, I’d really like to see all of those things in the game, yet it is upon Kevin (or anyone else who icapable/willing) to see if he has time and/or motivation to implement that.

Running would also affect a ton of things, like body temperature, fatigue, hunger, thirst, you would need to add stamina probably, it would create noise, you would become smellier, you would sweat and your body would get wet, etc.

New features are typically required to be properly coded too, not just hacked extensions of other things. And then if they would work really well as a hacked extension of something, then that something would need to be generalized.

wait a bit… so there’s some use in the game for all the soap bars that i keep ignoring? o_O

back to the topic. glad at least this walk/run thing has been considered and not entirely discarded. we jut have to sit tight and wait for it to maybe get implemented when we run out of other brilliant ideas for experimental builds =)

Nah you can eat soap bars! DELICOUS! They do like nothing apart from basically kill you but OH WELL. I’m sure it’ll clean your stomach nicely?

But walking/running sounds like a good development gap. Maybe there could even be an option for sneaking/going prone, which in both cases would make you stealthier and harder to spot and such.

I just can’t stop my survivor sprinting like Usian Bolt everywhere they go. Even just to go and grab a can of cola from the locker - they must get so sweaty and disgusting! Eugh!

If you want to add an increase in body temp and getting sweaty, consider the impact this will have in winter seasons. Heat is good, but sweat (wet penalty?) would theoretically lead to rapid loss of heat. Very bad. Very real-life concern if lost in the woods come winter.

My thoughts? This is going to make deciding on ‘realistic’ temperatures even harder, though for nice potential game-value gain.

How about the current speed we walk at now be considered jogging? Little affect on your character, faster than walking, little louder, etc, meanwhile it is however slower but less taxing or intensive as running. And while less realistic I would hope that if something like this DOES get implemented I would hope there is an option to enable whether or not it affects OTHER things like accuracy with guns, bows, even melee weapons to a slighter extent (from running so you’re tired and out of breath, affecting aim).

I’d also think weight might be a factor but if we made weight a factor (not just being overencumbered but your weight value at any value whatsoever) then people would be driven mad.

Nah you can eat soap bars! DELICOUS! They do like nothing apart from basically kill you but OH WELL. I’m sure it’ll clean your stomach nicely?

But walking/running sounds like a good development gap. Maybe there could even be an option for sneaking/going prone, which in both cases would make you stealthier and harder to spot and such.

I just can’t stop my survivor sprinting like Usian Bolt everywhere they go. Even just to go and grab a can of cola from the locker - they must get so sweaty and disgusting! Eugh![/quote]

I remember stealth being a dev goal for itself. Perception will play a major role in stealth. You will be able to duck behind counters, buushes and other obstacles. Crawling under cars would be neat, too.

Or have a hotkey bound to it? I feel like jury-rigging it like how carcoal kilns work would be eh.

Yeah, he is working on that

Built on top of Reaper's stamina/running mod. The general outline is: You can toggle on running, at full stamina it doubles your move speed (technically halves move cost) at the cost of burning through your stamina rapidly. The speed boost decays as your stamina drops, until it disappears entirely when your stamina reaches 0, at which point you're moving at walking speed regardless. The stamina drain scales with your encumbrance level, so carrying a lot of stuff makes you get tired faster. You regain stamina slowly while walking, and rapidly while inactive. Throwing things, firing bows, and using melee weapons also drains stamina, and if your stamina is low (under 25% currently) they gain move penalties.

TODO:
Adapt winded disease from #8888 for when your stamina becomes critically low.
Add more actions that drain stamina. Dragging vehicles
Smashing things
Riding bicycles.

Integrate with diseases and mutations.
Make reaching 0 stamina automatically turn off running.
Add move mode indicator to UI.

Yeah, he is working on that

Built on top of Reaper's stamina/running mod. The general outline is: You can toggle on running, at full stamina it doubles your move speed (technically halves move cost) at the cost of burning through your stamina rapidly. The speed boost decays as your stamina drops, until it disappears entirely when your stamina reaches 0, at which point you're moving at walking speed regardless. The stamina drain scales with your encumbrance level, so carrying a lot of stuff makes you get tired faster. You regain stamina slowly while walking, and rapidly while inactive. Throwing things, firing bows, and using melee weapons also drains stamina, and if your stamina is low (under 25% currently) they gain move penalties.

TODO:
Adapt winded disease from #8888 for when your stamina becomes critically low.
Add more actions that drain stamina. Dragging vehicles
Smashing things
Riding bicycles.

Integrate with diseases and mutations.
Make reaching 0 stamina automatically turn off running.
Add move mode indicator to UI.

[/quote]
this is going to be fabulous! can’t wait to test it =)