Voxel Cataclysm

The discussion starts here.
Here is some demo video.
Screenshot:

I have changed the code in Cataclysm DDA so it sends map around player to Unity Engine, which renders it with voxel tiles made in MagicaVoxel (check it out, it is free and very easy to use editor).
It is in a very early state, there are only terrain and furniture tiles.
A lot can be done: rain, snow, lighting depending on game time etc, but I’m pretty lazy, so I don’t know :slight_smile:
In the video, you can see tiles made of just 4x4x12 voxels, but even now I like how it looks. Later I will paint more detailed version.
A great disappointment for me was an absence of color bleeding for dynamically created scenes in Unity (if there are some Unity pros, please share your ideas).

1 Like

This is really neat!

1 Like

That really looks beautiful. I can’t wait to see some more locations and some enemies, so keep up the good work!

1 Like

PTW

nice, i was expecting mostly just still images, pretty cool to see it working in realtime.

i wonder, for items that are symmetrical, maybe the currently used tileset could actually be doubled on the diagonal so your visualizer could use that instead of having to make voxel tiles by hand, at least for ISO tilesets like chesthole and such.

I have tried 15x15x45 voxels, but it looks more like pixel art)

I was surprised that it runs pretty fast with such detail.
And some simple water:

[quote=“TooDAMNMuch, post:5, topic:13837”]nice, i was expecting mostly just still images, pretty cool to see it working in realtime.

i wonder, for items that are symmetrical, maybe the currently used tileset could actually be doubled on the diagonal so your visualizer could use that instead of having to make voxel tiles by hand, at least for ISO tilesets like chesthole and such.[/quote]
Voxel tiles are much easier to draw than iso pixel, you should try MagicaVoxel yourself!
Here is tiles folder used for the picture above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/24zz8be5czmi1xf/tiles15.zip?dl=0.
I spent just about 20 minutes to make it all. You can open .vox files in MagicaVoxel.

I would totally make a voxel tileset if we could play it in game.

1 Like

[quote=“tyomalu, post:7, topic:13837”][quote=“TooDAMNMuch, post:5, topic:13837”]nice, i was expecting mostly just still images, pretty cool to see it working in realtime.

i wonder, for items that are symmetrical, maybe the currently used tileset could actually be doubled on the diagonal so your visualizer could use that instead of having to make voxel tiles by hand, at least for ISO tilesets like chesthole and such.[/quote]
Voxel tiles are much easier to draw than iso pixel, you should try MagicaVoxel yourself!
Here is tiles folder used for the picture above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/24zz8be5czmi1xf/tiles15.zip?dl=0.
I spent just about 20 minutes to make it all. You can open .vox files in MagicaVoxel.

[/quote]

that’s pretty cool, i just thought maybe it would help reduce the effort for you if they could use existing ones.

i want to play the game with this mod way more than i really should. :slight_smile:

Release early, release often.
We don’t want this goodness disappearing all of a sudden. :slight_smile:

Oh, I thought everybody already forgot about it :wink:

No gone, growing :wink:

I’ve been helping out the past couple weeks, it took some effort to get input flowing from Unity to DDA but now we can move the player around from Unity.
I’ve also started getting together a UI… I’m no artist but I should be able to put together something passable :wink:

The project is slow going atm but should pick up steam as we work through the backend.

Yes, Ioncloud helps me really a lot. If someone wants to join, write us. Generations will shape a song about you.

did you guys get anywhere with this?

1 Like

Pretty sure the project died.

1 Like