Very Loud Guns

Stop shooting that thing! I’m going deaf over here!
Every time I fire a gun, the sound is so loud that my character goes deaf temporarily. This has consistently happened with the Glock 19 (starting weapon of Gangster profession) and I find it very inconvenient. Is this some sort of bug, or are gunshots somehow magnified by the eldritch horrors that have taken over Earth?

Probably shouldn’t modify gun loudnesses until we get some form of volumetric dissipation of loud noises going on if it isn’t already.

Maybe we should use dB instead of whatever the current scale is and give the ammo its own base loudness and then give the guns themselves dB reducers for things like barrel length and silencers to make it realistic.

Eventually it’d be really cool if we had patterned loudness projections, too, but I doubt that’s feasible soon.

Haha no. “Hmm, I’m deaf, there must be a turret around here somewhere…” is not realistic.

Are we seriously going to have to suffer with this until someone gets around to coding a gradated hearing loss system?

I wrote a graded hearing loss system and sent it as a part of PR here: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/12239

The idea is like that: deafness status won’t result in actual deafness until it stacks heavily. Instead it will cause short term hearing impairment and slight pain first.

Double check: do you have mutations allowing for better hearing? This needs to be ruled out for simplicity.

Sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of my tankbot main gun.

They’re teaching me through the universal medium of interpretive dance.

Also yeah, I would say being instantly, completely deafened by most guns is a bit absurd. Indoors, absolutely. But outdoors…

There’s also no buildup to it. You don’t have tinnitus or any other form of minor hearing impairment. It’s binary, either you can hear or you can’t.

I’d suggest implementing less severe hearing damage, mainly reduced ability to hear things, alongside potential for permanent damage mimicking, for example, the effects of the Poor Hearing trait.

I would also suggest that ear protection shouldn’t be binary either. It should reduce the apparent volume of sounds, depending on how well a given item reduces noise. Reducing gunfire’s apparent sound level down to tolerable levels would work. The possibility of conversation being muddled by hearing protection or damage, or reducing the maximum range at which you can enter conversation, would work as well.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:8, topic:9509”]Also yeah, I would say being instantly, completely deafened by most guns is a bit absurd. Indoors, absolutely. But outdoors…

There’s also no buildup to it. You don’t have tinnitus or any other form of minor hearing impairment. It’s binary, either you can hear or you can’t.

I’d suggest implementing less severe hearing damage, mainly reduced ability to hear things, alongside potential for permanent damage mimicking, for example, the effects of the Poor Hearing trait.[/quote]

It’s already PR’d, waiting for testing.

Don’t forget, Noise Reduction Rating. <3

Have the Good Hearing perk and routinely seem to be getting ear pain from gunfire so far away I’m not sure where it is. At this point hearing improvements may as well be considered a debuff.

Was the game really so bad when you just went deaf from bombs going off and stuff?

Oh God, I never thought the Poor Hearing trait would be USEFUL.

For real, right now I’m up to 10 pain from an antimateriel turret two map squares away. It’s too far away to shoot me but not too far away to torment me with its sonic agony waves.

Such are the effects of having all distance linearly subtract volume.
May be fixable just by altering the power of deafness from a given source, but that will be a semi-hack.

It isn’t now. At least for listening - it is still useful when trying to sleep in a lab.

If it reduces the apparent volume of gunfire that you aren’t deafened as often, I might add Poor Hearing to my list of favored min–max traits. =w=

It did, but when I added the partial deafening, I made it stop (I liked the effect, but I don’t think keeping it was worth the effort). It makes sense that a negative trait is negative.

Positive hearing traits still amplify deafening, though. Until deafness reduces your hearing to regular, then they stop.

Ooh, that’s a thing now? I see the “NPCs can rest” got added recently too, yay. owo