Version O.B / Recent latest experimentals - Damage protection

So i’ve been trying O.B and i’ve noticed that armors that previously had protection values of 30 or above for cut/bash are now not even 10. I’m talking about armors like the survivor suits and such.

So my question is: Are they doing a huge nerf of most armors and even some clothing like army jackets/pants other than powered armor and other similar kinds of armor not made out of a ton of metal? Because with if so it means you’re no longer an invincible god. I kinda like these changes but I do think it’ll throw a lot of people off when transferring saves. Will things like survivor armors atleast not require as many resources now that they’re getting nerfed?

[quote=“Pieroh, post:1, topic:7832”]So i’ve been trying O.B and i’ve noticed that armors that previously had protection values of 30 or above for cut/bash are now not even 10. I’m talking about armors like the survivor suits and such.

So my question is: Are they doing a huge nerf of most armors and even some clothing like army jackets/pants other than powered armor and other similar kinds of armor not made out of a ton of metal? Because with if so it means you’re no longer an invincible god. I kinda like these changes but I do think it’ll throw a lot of people off when transferring saves. Will things like survivor armors atleast not require as many resources now that they’re getting nerfed?[/quote]

0.B technically isn’t out yet. If you’re comparing current experimental/RC with 0.A stable, yeah, massive armor nerfage. I’m afraid the recipe costs were NOT altered, too.

So basically just ignore armor until you find a powered suit?

So basically just ignore armor until you find a powered suit?

Not at all. Firstly, you’ll need a good bunch of clothing only to not freeze to death on the first couple of days. Secondly, wearing decent, reinforced, fitting clothes is just as benefical as it was always; you don’t freeze, you can carry more stuff, and the damage taken is reduced. You can no longer charge into a military bunker and start bashing military turrets with your nailboard.

While I’m well aware that freezing to death still exists, at the levels of nerf described I won’t be putting any real effort into building a set of non-powered protective gear. I’d rather just take slightly more damage and not have to deal with the weight/volume/nusiance/etc.

You are going to die a lot because finding/making armor is even more important than before. A reinforced trench coat will not make you immune to normal z’s but it will save your life. Also there are some fun things in the game now that are capable of injuring even survivors wearing heavy power armor.

Survivor gear is still pretty good in the experimental, it is worth it to take the time to build a set. It is still more resistant to damage than regular clothing, and lets you tailor warmth/encumbrance as you see fit(light gear can be worn in summer for the most part, winter gear will be good in labs,etc).

Heavy survivor suit makes you immune to regular melee attacks from zombies. Add a helmet, mask, boots and gloves and regular (including tough and soldier) zombies literally can’t do any damage to you.

I wear full armor for convenience of not having to constantly bandage/disinfect scratches and being able to wreck brutes with no damage (including equipment damage).

If it was up to me, I’d nerf advanced armor bash protection even further and only nerf hulk smash to compensate.

I wear light survivor gear with a heavy survivor helmet. Underneath I wear thermal electric gear for warmth.

And is spring being cold in the beginning now intended?

yup

Speaking as somebody who lives in New England in real life, early spring is almost always indistinguishable from winter, so DDA is realistic in that regard.

Speaking as somebody who lives in New England in real life, early spring is almost always indistinguishable from winter, so DDA is realistic in that regard.[/quote]

Ah yeah I kinda forgot about that. But what about the kinda-hidden desert test world? I haven’t tested it very much but I think temps would be different on that world. Speaking of which, is the desert test map gen option gonna go out of testing and become finished any time soon?

Speaking as somebody who lives in New England in real life, early spring is almost always indistinguishable from winter, so DDA is realistic in that regard.[/quote]

Ah yeah I kinda forgot about that. But what about the kinda-hidden desert test world? I haven’t tested it very much but I think temps would be different on that world. Speaking of which, is the desert test map gen option gonna go out of testing and become finished any time soon?[/quote]

Not unless you or someone else does it, and AtomicDryad (who wrote the thing) left the project almost a year ago now. :frowning: