Wiki is outdated; Also its version looks like more fun

I am still a relatively new player, so I do not know all of the balances this game has been in before the current version. However it appears that many items have been nerfed. Cata seems to be a relatively easy game if played cautiously, especially if one is experienced with more serious roguelikes like Nethack. However the nerfs that I am seeing between the wiki version and the current 0.B seem somewhat severe.

This may make the game more challenging but it detracts from variety harshly.

I only today replaced the combat knife that I found in the second house I looted, the same leather armor I made after the first month and overall have not had much reason to change up my starting equipment. The forged sword, for an item that has as many skill, material and tool requirements as it does, it is a worse weapon than the combat knife. I found a suit of SWAT armor that is allegedly kevlar plated and it is significantly worse than a suit of literal patchwork armor. Comparing the statistics on those two items it would appear whoever made these changes just halved the values for them, even though that makes them garbage items.

The SWAT Armor would only be useful to a very new character as its stats are right now and even then only until it is replaced by craftable gear.

0.B stable, or latest experimental? SWAT has been formally nerfed once.

But if its weaker than light survivor armor, perhaps it could be buffed. (Or the light survivor suit nerfed)

I am using the latest stable version as far as I know

Current stats on SWAT Armor in my version:

95% Coverage
35 Warmth
Encumberment: 3
Protection Bash: 7
Protection Cut: 15
Protection Enviroment: 0
Storage: 20

Which makes it only useful to characters who cannot craft leather armor. I was really excited when I found this item on a drop and immediately disappointed when it was worse than what I had crafted almost a year ago in game time. It is not even superior at stopping bullets even though it has kevlar plating?

[quote=“razor, post:4, topic:8360”]I am using the latest stable version as far as I know

Current stats on SWAT Armor in my version:

95% Coverage
35 Warmth
Encumberment: 3
Protection Bash: 7
Protection Cut: 15
Protection Enviroment: 0
Storage: 20

Which makes it only useful to characters who cannot craft leather armor. I was really excited when I found this item on a drop and immediately disappointed when it was worse than what I had crafted almost a year ago in game time. It is not even superior at stopping bullets even though it has kevlar plating?[/quote]

Rivet’s buffed it a bit and I’m gonna throw in some environmental protection as well as part of the merge. Thanks for reporting, though I’d point out that the SWAT gear includes 20 storage, which the leather stuff does not.