Vehicle Show and Tell

I don’t. The mobile base stays some distance away from built up areas, and I use a smaller vehicle for raiding. Quite fond of the humble bicycle tbh. Any movement of the base is carefully planned, and a route scouted and if necessary cleared beforehand. I really think of it more as a house than a vehicle, with the bonus that I can move it to more “interesting” areas when I get bored :slight_smile:

Edit: It would be ideal if we were able to park smaller vehicles (3+ tiles wide) inside larger ones; whenever I’ve built a raiding vehicle I become reluctant to abandon it, which leads to (sometimes very) long cross country walks to fetch it. I don’t dare to rely on the “auto walk” function for this as it’s gotten me into serious trouble in the past!

Edit 2:

3 Likes

I found it preferable to ram everything at low speed. ~20-30 mph tops, and it shoves things out of the way without inflicting too much damage on the old Sun Wave.

3 Likes

There are now tow cables in game but I haven’t had a chance to use em.

So you could, in theory, tow a smaller rig that could be used as a tow truck, with a bike rack or folding vehicles for small excursions.

…You’d think after adding folding vehicles I’d actually remember to use them, but I tend to go for overpowered motorcycles to avoid hauling problems.

2 Likes

yeah i was gonna say, there are tow cables that exist

that aside, you can also build a bicycle rack on the side of your base, you ‘attach’ the bike to the rack and it moves along as if it were one with the vehicle (i believe this also works for motorbikes… 1xwhatever vehicles, but i haven’t tested it either.) its likely someone could make something similar for vehicles! just bump the front to the back, hook it up and go

… hmm… mabye someone needs to work on a trailer hitch…?

3 Likes

it even work with canoe

1 Like

Hello. I’m back! Some of you may have wondered whether I ever finished the gargantuan death-mobile I posted about nearly a year ago. The answer is no, I didn’t. I realised I had used too small city size, and too high city spacing when generating the world, and got bored; there simply wasn’t enough interesting stuff around to warrant the effort of its construction. I looked into transferring the Ursa III into a new world, but it seemed really complicated to do and I got bored again. Then 0.F came out and I just had to get back in the cataclysm - not just to check out the new features, but to finally complete the Ursa III. And this time I think I nailed the world settings with city size 6, city spacing 5, and item spawn factor 0.5; three seasons in and I’m super excited about all the interesting things I’ve spotted through my binoculars.

TLDR; I have amassed all the basic material for building my massive 11x30 tile mobile base, including:

• 213 Heavy duty frames
  • 140 Extra light frames
  • 74 Steel frames
  • 110 Military composite platings
  • 115 Steel platings
  • 6 Hard platings
  • 37 Sheets of reinforced glass
  • 264 Metal sheets
  • 22 32" Armored wheels
  • 20 Heavy wheel hubs

I need to make another 120-ish steel platings for the roof, but that’s easy with over 2000 lumps of steel on the shelf. I’m generally finding it much easier this time around, not least because I have the perfect base in a military bunker surrounded by forest, and get far fewer interruptions by hordes than I did during my last attempt. I’m also earlier in the zevoultion, because I had the goal in mind from the start, and not in my second year. I’ve learned the value of the “metal compactor” which (if you can find one) lets you instantly transmogrify (for example) a large quantity of unwanted heavy steel frames to other more useful forms of steel - I happen to have one a short drive from my base and it’s proved immensely useful. I’m better at controlling my food and sleep; without proper rest work slows to a crawl, and rising with the sun helps with everything. Reparing is far quicker than making; whereas I used to frown upon an \. Extra light frame I now collect everything and repair as needed. It is still quite a challenge to build a vehicle this big, but this time around…

2 Likes

Winter has arrived, and it never seems to stop raining, but I carry on whatever the weather.

2 Likes

Winter, day 58:

The fit-out is 90% done, but I have a problem: she now weighs in at a massive thirty tonnes, and the two enhanced electric motors I’ve fitted are not enough to make her move more than at a snail’s pace - just 1km/h off-road :frowning: And while all this work has brought my fabrication skill to level 13, I’m only 30% of the way to level 10 mechanics. IIRC I need mechanics 12 to fit more than two engines, but I have no idea how to get there!

Something must be wrong, then.

t = 30e3 * (10/3.6)^2 / 2 / 400000 = 0.3

It should take only 0.3 seconds to get to 10 km/h with a 30 ton vehicle propelled by a 400 kW motor.

You can edit CDDA’s code to let you install more motors. But I doubt you need any additional ones.

Yeah, something’s definitely up; I swapped the enhanced electric motors for a 1350HP gas turbine I happened to have lying around, but even with this I can only get to 8 km/h on roads and 2 km/h off-road.

Ok, it’s not the handbrake - I checked :slight_smile: Any other ideas? I also noticed that my focus dropped to 1 after driving it just a short distance, does the loss of focus from driving scale with the size of the vehicle?

idea: parse this

int vehicle::max_ground_velocity( const bool fueled ) const
{
    int total_engine_w = total_power_w( fueled );
    double c_rolling_drag = coeff_rolling_drag();
    double max_in_mps = simple_cubic_solution( coeff_air_drag(), c_rolling_drag,
                        c_rolling_drag * vehicles::rolling_constant_to_variable,
                        -total_engine_w );
    add_msg_debug( "%s: power %d, c_air %3.2f, c_rolling %3.2f, max_in_mps %3.2f",
                   name, total_engine_w, coeff_air_drag(), c_rolling_drag, max_in_mps );
    return mps_to_vmiph( max_in_mps );

at a quick glance, I would blame rolling resistance

1 Like

Ok, yeah, depending on what simple_cubic_solution() does. But a 30-ton vehicle with 16 wheels doesn’t seem unreasonably large and heavy with a 1350HP engine - plenty similar sized real-world examples around, such as the Kharkovchanka which weighed 35 tons, could tow another 60, and could reach up to 56 km/h with a 995HP power plant.

It solves c_air_drag * v^3 + c_rolling_drag * v^2 + c_rolling_drag * 33.3 * v - engine power = 0 for v. You’ll need to post these constants.

The Kharkovhanka was tracked, not wheeled.

Of course, but

On roads the rolling resistance of tracked vehicles equals four percent of their weight, on average, while that of their wheeled counterparts (fitted with cross-country tires) equals only 2 percent of their weight.

From Lutz Unterseher - Wheels or Tracks?, On the ‘Lightness’ of Military Expeditions

Edit:

Ok, how about the Belaz 75710, capable of hauling a 450 ton load, on eight wheels fitted with pneumatic tyres:

Mind you it does have two 16-cylinder diesel engines driving generators which power four electric motors, delivering nearly 5000HP - but it also weighs over 800 tons fully loaded… twenty seven times heavier than my Ursa III.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Does it have an alternator/generator? They can sometimes have unintended effects. Maybe switch to a weaker one.

Try increasing the number of wheels/doubling the current ones, to distribute the weight more and reduce rolling resistance.

I’ve had heavy vehicles get stuck a few times, and apart from unloading cargo, these were how I solved the issue. (Only vehicle I’ve built as big as yours, though, was a boat. Arguably amphibious, but not really.)

1 Like

I have not fitted an alternator, and I have 16x 32" armoured wheels, evenly distributed in two straight lines along the length of the vehicle, with only the front pair steerable. I don’t think it’s possible to add more wheels; not only due to lack of space but because nothing can lift such a heavy vehicle. Still hoping for a solution, but it appears it might not be possible to build this big; the formulas used to calculate rolling drag won’t allow it - I just wish I’d known this before I started!

Might have to tear down and rebuild or something. I usually double every wheel except the front ones, and generally do 2 axles then a space. Like:

---------
   |         |
   0         0
   00       00
   |         |
   00       00
   00       00
   |         |
   00       00

Haven’t built any land vehicles quite as big as yours, but some of mine have been well over 30 tonnes when loaded with cargo, and still able to move. The aforementioned boat was pokey on land, I think max 4km/h, but it didn’t have a lot of wheels…I believe it was 15x28 tiles or something like that.

1 Like

Thanks, I just realised that the boom crane has enough “jacking” to allow me to lift the Ursa III, so I will try doubling the wheels as you suggested. Just need to find another dozen or so armoured wheels… What would happen if the steerable wheels were also doubled?

1 Like