Vehicle questions

So after 3 seasons(currently winter) I finally constructed my home on 4 wheels … from an ambulance. The thing is i searched for security vans , SWAT vans , or any other vehicle with heavy duty frames and armor but didn’t find one. And after i finally started my V8 beast, and started the road to the refugee center, what do we find?
An APC, humvee and a SWAT van (and a tank, but i wont use it…ITS diesel + 4 engines)… at least they were a good distance away from the starting spot so i didn’t commit suicide (in game suicide not irl).

The questions here are (keep in mind that my ambulance has steel rams in front ALL reinforced glass in front and an armor plate on the engine block + every part green – it took a lot of time to make reinforced panels and reinforced glass for 5 tiles)(also the SWAT van is the most interesting to me right now…it has 4 wheels so no need for lifting tools!!!):

1. Is it worth the time to move all the items/equipment (cargo spaces, fridge and other) to one of the other vehicles ?
  2. Dose it make that BIG of a difference to have steel plates/composite armor and heavy duty frames(, and if yes then in what situation)?
  3. Is it worth having 2-3 vehicles and making a base (-without 4 wheels) ? Whats the point in having a roamer vehicle and a big mobile base if you have a permanent base?
    AND the most important one!
  4. Will my ambulance (in its current state : Steel rams at the front an armor plate on the engine block and full reinforced glass) be enough? ( also pls no spoilers :D, but if you can’t explain without spoiling it then put it in a spoiler box so i know what i am getting in to.)

depends what you are planning to do with it. a Mobile Base needs to be big enough to carry all your loot and strong enough to survive a serious accident. i personally start with a vehicle with regular frames in a 5 wide 6 tall. then surround that in heavy duty frames by backing into a swat car or something and basically consuming it. giving you a car that is 7 wide 8 tall, then i attach a real ‘ramming grill’ t the front. the actual ram objects are okay but are completely destroyed if you hit anything too tough, a ram grill is another line of heavy duty frames with military composite on them. also move your engine back some, i put mine under the windshield so you have your guarterpanels and your ram in front of them, you do NOT want to even CHANCE they could hit something nasty. and yes, armor will, more often then not, taking the damage first, my ram grill can easily kill a hulk and it often turns the armor on that section red, without the armor the heavy duty frame would probably be destroyed.
also gives you room enough for a 3x3 square of cargo spaces and room for your installed devices (welder, fridge, chemistry set)
next is engine and wheels, a monster truck like this needs monster engines, and of the engines the most powerful (that doesn’t use really exotic fuels) is the V12, found on a Sports Car. as for wheels, i have 4 near the front (still under the windshield layer) 2 on each side, the armored wheels from military vehicles. strongest and widest so they are the best. and then i have 12 near the back, clusters of 6 on each side
||-||
||-||
||-||
like this. this is because being huge means you need a lot of wheels to have good offroad friction.

anyway, to sum it up

1. no, just merge them.
  2. yes, plated parts will survive many more hits then armorless parts but you only really need to armor your outer most layer, go for 2 layers on the front since it;s the front.
  3. it is upto you, you only really need 1 raider vehicle if you make a regular base and 1 ‘power’ vehicle that you use to power your base with. (a bunch of frames with solars and a battery for night lights and powered crafting stations and UPS) while my design is for a big rig “take it all with you on the road” machine.
  4. no, by itself it will not be enough, steel rams would crumple really fast if you run into any real resistance. by that i mean anything more then a handful of basic zombies. and your carry capacity is far too low for it to be a base.

TY, so i just need to use the other vehicles to armor this one up, put more cargo spaces, place the engine somewhere else so its not in danger and generally work on it and place wheels so its better off-road.

And i get that 7 wide vehicles aren’t that bad? I only driven 5 wide because I didn’t like getting stuck while crossing a bridge or a city… but then again a 7wide 8 tall vehicle is heavier so it will just push the other cars away …hmmmm ill try it!
TY again!

if you’re playing with vehicle additions keep an eye out for tank tracks too, they’re heavy as fuck, but worth the effort and redundancy once installed, why worry about 4 wheels when you can have 6 tracks on each side of your vehicle.

When ill get a boom-crane or something to lift my rig and the new tank i just found ill get them.

Oh and what is the best item for lifting vehicles?

[quote=“TeSparg, post:5, topic:13908”]When ill get a boom-crane or something to lift my rig and the new tank i just found ill get them.

Oh and what is the best item for lifting vehicles?[/quote]

you’ll probably literally need a bottle jack to take off wheels and treads of tanks and armored stuff, don’t think there’s anything better.
for most vehicles you can actually take off every part except wheels if you have good strength to lower the weight until you can remove the wheels, but it’ll still be around 40 something strength required so even hydraulic muscles won’t let you jack a tank by hand.

Boom crane is what you need for tank treads. You got to attach it to a wheelbarrow first.

yeah, a boom crane works like Rams, you install it next to a frame instead of on a frame. and it gives crazy levels of Jacking. so unless your vehicle is absolutely ridiculously massive and heavy it can handle it.

do you actually need a boom crane for tank treads? i’ve not actually went after those recently, but the last vehicle that used heavy duty frames (APC, i think?) i was able to manage just with a bottle jack by stripping almost literally everything else off first, if i really wanted to waste CBM power could leave some parts still attached as without hydraulic muscles i clocked in at 21 strength while drunk.

How good is the telescoping… thingy I found in a garage?

It’s got lift 1 and jack 7

Usually, yeah. Something like a main battle tank is way too heavy, and removing parts to lighten it can prove futile and time consuming, compared to the short amount of time you have to do when setting up a boom crane.

Anyway, only vehicle wheels/treads require a jack for removal (or ludicrously high strength). Every other vehicle part you can chop up with tools.

Usually, yeah. Something like a main battle tank is way too heavy, and removing parts to lighten it can prove futile and time consuming, compared to the short amount of time you have to do when setting up a boom crane.

Anyway, only vehicle wheels/treads require a jack for removal (or ludicrously high strength). Every other vehicle part you can chop up with tools.[/quote]

well… but ludicrously high strength could be my character’s middle name, i can boost it up to 41 with bionic power (and alcohol) as needed, although it’s a huge drain.

Anyone have any idea what the different between a vehicle turret and an automated weapon is in game?

I believe, and I could be mistaken because I don’t muck about with turrets much (bad experiences when turrets would shoot THROUGH the vehicle and driver to hit targets) that turrets currently are manual fired weapons. Put one on the driver square for maximum effect, press F to allow hilarity to ensue. Automated weapons on the other hand are just that-autonomous, self firing mounts. Keep them fed and they’ll blaze away at everything.

Could be and probably am wrong here but it’s always worth finding out.

From what I can see they both are the same thing. Both will go to auto mode. It’d make more sense if the turret was a more stable base I guess…

the turret base allows any weapon to be mounted. you can’t mount glocks without it.