Ok guys I need help

I am actually planning on building an actual vehicle. Should I build it from another vehicle and just add parts? I never was one to use vehicle travel but I have decided that it may be useful. One of the things I fear is coming to a dead end and not wanting to drive back, so just ramming the forest. What do you recommend? I need something that will be quiet enough to drive around the country side and not attract zombie from three miles away. Also need something easy to edit/enough space for food.
Also what about starting traits? Should I put points in driving or mechanics (Or whatever it is called)
And any tips on where to find things that can edit cars? I know hardware stores should have welders and the like.

Unless you want a really long term vehicle then edit an existing one, a Car will do just fine. Get it, drive it back to whereever you’re holding up and go into town to find parts in garages and along the road. Noise really isn’t a problem because you’ll be going fast enough to ignore anything that aggroes to you. Don’t bother with any driving skills, survival comes first. A single trunk or box should be enough for all the food and water you’ll need.

Driving through a forest is a very bad idea. Your vehicle will get damaged even if you put armor plating everywhere. The damage itself isnt all that bad, but repairing a vehicle consumes a LOT of batteries (we’re talking 1000s here).
If you are reckless with your vehicle and just drive into everything you see, you’ll run low on batteries even if you scavenge everything from hotplates, flashlights, etc.

You can easily make a vehicle your base - no need for any hideout whatsoever. Install a small cabin surrounded by boards, frames and such and build a bed in it (dont forget the roof).
Making a small room with no line of sight to the outside is also useful for crafting to not be disturbed by anything. Add a buttload of trunks and boxes and you’ll be living on the road.
A semi-truck is a very good example of a mobile base and comes with everything you need - try to find one at parking lots in the city, mines, sewage treatment plants…

You could always build a little bike with a few boxes, a solar panel and an electric motor
Maybe the best kind of car if you raid during day time.
The same formula but different motor for night raids.
And yes, building a vehicle from an existing one is the best idea, but probably youll find that most cars are badly damaged. Thus wasting batteries

Also, don’t take the first vehicle you find especially if it’s too small, like a quad or too large like a bus, vehicles are relatively common.

I just finished tuning up a Military truck with a new engine, a fitted out cabin along with hard plating and an M249, chests full of MREs and clean water cantinnes, extra weapons and ammo ect in a barn on a farm, only to find you need to preemptively slow down around 30 squares before normal, it has extermely major problems turning in towns, needs an extreme amount of fuel and cannot manuever through basic impedements.

With a small vehicle like a quad you can’t use it as a base on the go. Chances are all you’ll ever need is a quad.

EDIT: Woops, I meant a car, my bad.

[quote=“Jaginun, post:5, topic:401”]Also, don’t take the first vehicle you find especially if it’s too small, like a quad or too large like a bus, vehicles are relatively common.

I just finished tuning up a Military truck with a new engine, a fitted out cabin along with hard plating and an M249, chests full of MREs and clean water cantinnes, extra weapons and ammo ect in a barn on a farm, only to find you need to preemptively slow down around 30 squares before normal, it has extermely major problems turning in towns, needs an extreme amount of fuel and cannot manuever through basic impedements.

With a small vehicle like a quad you can’t use it as a base on the go. Chances are all you’ll ever need is a quad.[/quote]
You can use bus parts to make a new vehicle

PARTY BUS

[quote=“Reservoir, post:6, topic:401”][quote=“Jaginun, post:5, topic:401”]Also, don’t take the first vehicle you find especially if it’s too small, like a quad or too large like a bus, vehicles are relatively common.

With a small vehicle like a quad you can’t use it as a base on the go. Chances are all you’ll ever need is a quad.[/quote]
You can use bus parts to make a new vehicle[/quote]

A new vehicle would be hard for someone who’s just getting into vehicles, and while you can get the bus for parts, it’s better to get the car you’re wanting to upgrade before you get a scrap bus for parts because you know what you’re looking for.

Agreed. Just find a good enough vehicle and get used to the interface and all the possibilities.

BTW, I expanded the vehicles page in the wiki a few hours ago. While it’s still definitely incomplete you might find it useful to get started. That page needs to be expanded further, so to anyone reading this, feel free to contribute.

Yeah, Trucks are a pain to manouvre. The amount of times I’ve totalled half the city because I can’t turn fast enough or a fumble…
Quad bikes, motorbikes are both nice and simple though I think quad bikes make way too much noise. I want to build a garage so my lovely rides don’t have to sit out under the acid rain.

As for modding them, I’m just getting into this myself. stick plenty of plating on the front and a little on the side, then stick on some spikes and blades… Is there any way to add a functional lawnmower to the front of something? because if so I’ve got a golf cart. The engine is busted (and the front left wheel is out… accidentally plowed it into a pharmacy-- but still the image of riding around in a golf-cart laden with spikes and lawnmowers is lolsome.

I made a 4 by 2 vehicle(excluding the wheels/doors) by combining 2 “3 by 1” vehicle and a few other spare vehicle’s parts.

I usually park my vehicle about 10 squares away from the city and walk in myself. I built mine from 4 garage that I raided but it really took a lot of batteries to do so. I used at least 2k of batteries to build and repair the vehicle. If you want to build a moving house(which is what my plan is), you will need to craft a lot of batteries, so starting early is good. Find flashlight and unload all of them. Find ammonia and start crafting all the batteries when you find them. You don’t really need any starting traits, just a few garages and parking lot so that you can gain some quick skill by removing all parts from the vehicle.

The buildings that you really need to keep a lookout would be garage and parking lots. Those are the places you need in order to have enough parts to make the vehicle.

Side question. What is the biggest vehicle made so far ?

http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=253.0

Not the biggest, but the most epic.