Use for storage batteries

What are the uses for storage batteries? I assume they’re not like UPS’s, and I don’t really see a point in transferring batteries often from one vehicle to another.

Edit: I just checked the wiki, storage batteries have TWICE the capacity of truck batteries? Am I missing something?

Like the name suggests, they’re used for high-density energy storage, like what you need with pure-electric cars or vehicle-mounted energy weapons. If you think their storage capacity is overkill, you’re very wrong. A standard electric car will barely make it across five map tiles using a truck battery. Most of my endgame vehicles have anywhere from 6-10 storage batteries, and need every bit of it.

I know E-vehicles drain batteries like crazy, but under normal use, only a UPS charger will significantly drain a car that has a few solar panels (3 in my case).

How big are your vehicle and engines if you use 6-10 batteries? I just checked and saw you can install them under cargo spaces, hmm. How do you recharge them, as well?

I recharge them the usual way, with solar panels and alternators. I usually have solar panels covering the entirety of available internal space in my vehicle. I’m honestly not sure how you’re keeping an electric car running with only 3 of them, unless it’s very small.

As for how big they are, here’s my most recent one, with six storage batteries:

It’s not enormous, but I like my vehicles like I like my PCs: Heavy as all hell for it’s size. It’s decently armed with two laser cannons, a turbolaser, and a 120mm tank cannon.

Funnily enough, the things that drain the most power consistently are the three floodlights. I swear they use more battery power than a laser cannon firing nonstop.

(Also, those reddish rams are military composite covered in gore, not spiked rams. My OCDishness would never let me mix types like that.)

Just 1 storage battery is enough to leave the lights and fridge on all day.

Add 2 solar panels per storage battery/electrical device and never worry again.

A mounted welder will absolutely chew through standard car or truck batteries.

I’m using gas. I realized early on that my car had like 4% charge, and I was spending all my time around base while it could be charging. Put three solar panels on it, and it charged fine and suffices for my electrical needs (minus charging a dead UPS).

I was more curious as to why storage batteries were there, because I assumed they were like normal-car sized batteries (ala emergency lead-acid or real UPS batteries). Then I thought how you couldn’t use them as a UPS, nor had I ever seen anything that used them. It’d be nice if more stats were on the parts/install, so you could see what capacity batteries had. I also didn’t expect you could put the trunk and battery in the same spot. It’s weird how the game determines what is and is not viable room.

Similarly, neither wiki nor the game has info on how engine power + mass is determined. The wiki mentions loading, which I’ve witnessed from burning out electric motors on bikes, but there’s no calculation or guideline for what power suffices for what mass.

@solussphere I love that 5 across internal layout. Though moving stuff around to get items to the middle would be obnoxious. Do you have a trick to deal with this?

I hope someone finds a good way to make the track system for vehicles. Would make things SOOO much nicer to be able to have a moveable storage space on-board vehicles.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:7, topic:12039”]@solussphere I love that 5 across internal layout. Though moving stuff around to get items to the middle would be obnoxious. Do you have a trick to deal with this?

I hope someone finds a good way to make the track system for vehicles. Would make things SOOO much nicer to be able to have a moveable storage space on-board vehicles.[/quote]
What do you mean? You don’t have to put anything in a trunk you don’t intend to. I don’t understand what your question is.

For crafting, tiles within 3 or 4 tiles are searched for tools and components. At the most extreme, food could go towards the RV and Foodco units, and materials would go towards welder and forge.

well if you have a looting cart or something outside the Vehichle loaded with new loot you want in say… the very middle tile, how do you move your items all the way to the interior?

Thus my desire to see an install-able trolley system.

i move new stuff into back of cargobay of my vehicle, after further space from enterance is filled i put stuff into next space untill everything is filled

for power with enought storage solar panels are enought but flood lights drain a lot of power my mrct

is almost never using its gasoline and diesel engines while its armed with laser weapons and its mostly using electric engine not to mention some utilities and camera system

everything can go for days without draining too much power

but floodlights what are allways on when i use my car as sentry (to guard hospital or lab enterance) it quickly consumes a lot of power

[quote=“Litppunk, post:9, topic:12039”]well if you have a looting cart or something outside the Vehichle loaded with new loot you want in say… the very middle tile, how do you move your items all the way to the interior?

Thus my desire to see an install-able trolley system.[/quote]
Why would you take loot from the cart and then dump it into the center tile? What purpose does throwing it in the center tile serve if you have your stuff organized? Literally anything you can put into a vehicle is something you can already carry, so I don’t get why you wouldn’t just carry it to it’s proper place.

That is what I meant. But the VERY center tile has to be the organized spot for something. I was just inquiring as to what he did to make getting things outside the vehichle to obnoxious locations inside have as little tedium as possible.

What do you consider tedious? I normally have a duffel bag for the volume and packmule, and don’t carry any extra big things like RV units. There’s nothing really worth keeping that isn’t carryable, even 60L tanks can be wielded, emptied, and carried.

I might be a bad advice giver because I stack all the negatives I can deal with to get packmule, high strength, and other good things.

XD yeah I random, so sometimes I get some really weird combos. I just dislike using my own inventory for moving things, because I always lose and item or two in the tool category, or elsewhere and end up carrying a sledgehammer, or a toolbox, or some other random item that takes up space/weight I want when I jump back to looting. Man I would love to see a on-board trolley system get added.

To answer your question Litppunk, there are two cargo spaces I reserve for “transfers” to the rest of the vehicle, the one closest to the door, and the one two tiles above from that. As long as I’m adding less than a thousand volume to the cargo, this works pretty well for me, as I can do everything within the advanced inventory by just standing in the right place. I sometimes find myself getting lazy and just leaving certain junk in the transfer bays though :stuck_out_tongue:

My trick is to use the ‘v’ button - the ground will hold up to 4000 volume, which is 4 cargo spaces worth, so I can move stuff out easily en masse.

My trick is to use the ‘v’ button - the ground will hold up to 4000 volume, which is 4 cargo spaces worth, so I can move stuff out easily en masse.[/quote]

Wait, does that toggle between the ground and the vehicle?! Goddamit! This whole time I’ve been doing that by setting both panes to the same direction, and then switching away one of them. XD

Makes me wonder what other wierd and backwards habits I’ve accumulated over the years.

You can easily move piles from tile to tile with the advanced inventory menu.

Use ctrl/shift+m to move stacks of items instead of one by one(which is process intensive) with holding enter.

[quote=“X-PLODE, post:18, topic:12039”]You can easily move piles from tile to tile with the advanced inventory menu.

Use ctrl/shift+m to move stacks of items instead of one by one(which is process intensive) with holding enter.[/quote]

I just use the comma key to move all, personally. Unless you’re talking about a different functionality?

The comma works like enter, one by one which is slow.