Unpowered vehicles

In Cataclysm we have an excellent vehicle system for all kinds of vehicles that the player rides inside, but what about stuff like shopping carts, sleds, travois, or skateboards? Things that are powered by pushing or pulling, and allow you to carry heavier weights than normal. In NeoScavenger, these are used to great effect: in the early game when you don’t have a backpack, a plastic sled is a great asset, and in the late game a shopping cart is a great way to haul your loot around.

Shopping carts would be awesome for looting.

And outside of looting you could do some fun stunts with one like the boys from ‘Jackass’ used to do.

Not that there’s any good reason to ride a shopping cart down stairs, but it would be fun.

I like the idea.

Always wanted to see shopping carts in the game. And if we’ll be able to ride them… My name’s %survivor_name%, and welcome to ‘Jackass’

You can always do the “gypsy” thing, and upgrade the bicycle with some boxes and trunks in front.
So to say, I think that’s what all those single cylinder engines were all about from the beginning. (idea!)

Hell yes.
I just had a flashback to some zombie movie where they’re looting an abandoned supermarket with a trolley. Do want.
Modding them into vehicles would be fun as hell too. Add a small engine, a fuel tank, a flamethrower and spikes everywhere… hehehe…

Modding these storage vehicle-likes should not be possible IMHO.

They could be coded as 0 weight 0 encumbrance clothes which spawn a ‘cart’ on another tile…

[quote=“Zireael, post:7, topic:2628”]Modding these storage vehicle-likes should not be possible IMHO.

They could be coded as 0 weight 0 encumbrance clothes which spawn a ‘cart’ on another tile…[/quote]
I think it’s plausible to modify a bike or shopping cart considering the kinds of vehicles we’re currently capable of making.
On the other hand, there should be more effects to adding weight to vehicles.

Welding a dozen steel frames/plating to the front/back of a motorcycle or car ought to really mess with how easy it is to drive or turn.

When you’re going 190MPH during a rainstorm carrying 50 steel frames in your truck you should probably be sliding around any time you try to turn or slow down.

Also I assume most tires aren’t made out of adamantium and rated for a thousand tons, so maybe give tires a weight limit so you need more tires or better tires if you want to pack up an entire city and haul it off in one go.

I’m thinking about making pushable/draggable things be a kind of furniture. Basically you’d grab the furniture, and then just start walking around with it and it’d either follow you around, or you’d follw it around when appropriate.

We have rough plans for giving structural elements of vehicles strength limits, so there will be a strength/weight tradeoff for what components you use. E.g. bicycle frames/tires would be super-light, but only be able to carry the player and a bit more, but car tires/frames would be much heavier but much stronger.

In practice this would be a “strain” score that would be generated based on acceleration and vehicle weight, and applied to vehicle components, which would take damage and eventualy fail if overloaded.

Please note, this is not a plan to make vehicles wear out when used normally, you should only run into it if you strip down the frames excessively, or overbuild on a weak frame.

I don’t believe you, when I have a 2000kg of stuff in trunks and you say you’re going to make changes, I have reason to be paranoid.

I don’t believe you, when I have a 2000kg of stuff in trunks and you say you’re going to make changes, I have reason to be paranoid.[/quote]

Note I said “when used normally”, I don’t think having two tons of stuff loaded into your vehicle is in any way “normal use” unless the vehicle is a heavy truck or similar, and if it is, you’re fine.

If you have 2t of stuff loaded into a station wagon, yea, it’ll break it :stuck_out_tongue:

Necromantic double-post go!

This is implemented now and in the latest experimental build. You can 'G’rab* adjacent vehicles, and if you’re strong enough you can drag them around with you when you walk around. The primary drawback is that it slows you down based on how heavy the vehicle is. Also I keep forgeting to make it make noise, so be warned it’ll do that at some point. Along with that, I added a special shopping cart vehicle that spawns on some roads, parking lots, and in a few shops. It’s just a set of wheels** and a box. It increases the weight you can move around by roughly 5x.

*‘G’ might be already assigned to “center view” in your keymap, so you might need to manually map a key to Grab.
**I actually had to add a new “caster wheel” that doubles as a wheel and a frame to make it fit in one tile.

So, to match real-life shopping trolleys, about a quarter of them need to have one really squeaky wheel, and a similar percentage should constantly pull to either the right or left when you move them. :slight_smile:

Oh - new monster idea: Zombie Bag Lady. Just like a normal zombie, except it’s pushing a cart full of canned goods. Maybe have it start throwing them when it gets close.

You fire your reflex bow at the Zombie bagger!
Good hit! 25 damage
The Zombie bagger throws its tin can of corn at you!
It hits you in the head!
You fall to the ground, unconscious.

You fire your reflex bow at the Zombie bagger!
Good hit! 25 damage
The Zombie bagger throws its tin can of corn at you!
It hits you in the head!
You fall to the ground, unconscious.[/quote]

Loll pwned! Male it happen!