Can shopping carts be upgraded?

In the newest version i feel that the volume and the weight that shopping carts can hold has been reduced. Is there a way to make a shopping cart hold more?

They are vehicles, so I think you can actually replace the cart basket for something else.

Since they’re vehicles, you can charge their basket onto something else.

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Vehicle#Storage_volume

Check allowed volumes by the link.

I don’t know about the latest version but I made a lighweight vehicle with 2 steel frames, a box, electric motor and foot cranks (solar + manpower) and I could drag it around with me through houses and shops.

I think casters are key, as well as the amount of stuff you load onto it + wight of the carrier (box, trunk) which will dictate if you can drag it or not.

[quote=“dovla, post:4, topic:5675”]I don’t know about the latest version but I made a lighweight vehicle with 2 steel frames, a box, electric motor and foot cranks (solar + manpower) and I could drag it around with me through houses and shops.

I think casters are key, as well as the amount of stuff you load onto it + wight of the carrier (box, trunk) which will dictate if you can drag it or not.[/quote]

Could you post schematics? How would different caters affect it? I’m kind of new to building vehicles so it would help a lot :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s this thing.

I haven’t thoroughly tested it yet but it worked pretty well for me. Low electricity consumption and it falls back to foot cranks (and speed goes from 64kmph to 32kmph) when the battery dies. You can [G]rab the front end and drag it with you just like a shopping cart. Should probably have installed a trunk instead of a box since both use a steel frame and a trunk holds more.

Also it seems the cranks + engine combination is a little buggy since I get a lot of “Engine dies” messages but it still works as expected.

Also I ran down a zombie dog while riding it for some light damage but wouldn’t risk hitting anything bigger than that.

The only thing missing is the possibility to put it into or attach it to a larger vehicle. Like a bicycle holder on cars, or an attachable fork lift holder for trucks and so on.

still messing around with 4 wheels, huh?
Come back when you have a mobile death-machine/fortress-Luxury-RV unicycle.

I usually stick a welding rig and the powering capabilities onto a shopping cart. Then you can stuff car parts into the basket, and wheel it to where you need it, and weld with it.

This is a neato idea too.

Remove the box and re-assemble it as a trunk. Done.

1 Like

A much, much easier solution would be to make a separate class for bicycles and carts; since they’re all bolts and screws now - you can make them “Packed” with a wrench and a screwdriver. This way, you can end up with your shopping cart in the trunk of your Beetle, and your mountainbike’s part safely stored in the back of a flatbed.
Sincerely, I’m not a fan of 200mph “one-keystroke-ready” solutions, since the vehicles in CataDDA aren’t of the stock variety, but adapted.

O.O I have not even made a shopping cart ingame, how the fuck do you guys make peddled bi-cycles of ice-cream vendors?

People have way too much time on their hands… also i could imagine alot of people are insane

This wins the simplicity award.

[quote=“dovla, post:6, topic:5675”]Yeah, it’s this thing.

I haven’t thoroughly tested it yet but it worked pretty well for me. Low electricity consumption and it falls back to foot cranks (and speed goes from 64kmph to 32kmph) when the battery dies. You can [G]rab the front end and drag it with you just like a shopping cart. Should probably have installed a trunk instead of a box since both use a steel frame and a trunk holds more.

Also it seems the cranks + engine combination is a little buggy since I get a lot of “Engine dies” messages but it still works as expected.

Also I ran down a zombie dog while riding it for some light damage but wouldn’t risk hitting anything bigger than that.[/quote]

Oh man, this is awesome. I think your survivor will lose a lot of post-apocalypse street cred riding around on a shopping trolley welded to the back end of a bicycle, though.

If its stupid and it works it aint stupid. :smiley: this thing makes sense.

First zed that laughs at me gets a bolt of lightning up his arse. :wink:

[quote author=dovla link=topic=5974.msg105287#msg105287 date=1396261321]

imagine vehicle like that IRL :smiley: