Turrets

how do turrets work? specifically, how do you mount them on a vehicle, and then use them?

also. is it possible to equip them with brass catchers so you don’t have to go back and pick up after them?

You can mount M249 machine guns, flamethrowers, and plasma rifles. As for the machine guns, you drop the required ammunition onto the tile it takes up (.223 I believe) and toggle it by pressing ^ on a seat with controls. I’ve never gotten a flamethrower to work on a vehicle, but the way you load it and the plasma turret is once you install it, select it in the vehicle construct menu and hit refill, provided you have gasoline or hydrogen, respectively. You toggle them the same way. They basically fire until they run out of ammo, which makes sense considering they’re…guns.

what about the brass catcher for the m249s?

I am not sure but try seeing if you can install a brass catcher onto the gun before putting it on the car. Might work, if it does tell us.

lol probably gonna be awhile before i find an m249, i haven’t even gotten into my first town yet!

Head for military outposts/bunkers then, the droids you’re looking for are that-a-way anyway.

yeah i explored one bunker and found a crapton of turrets and manhacks, but i haven’t found a single gun in any of the other bunkers i’ve explored.

i did just discover a small town nearby with about a half dozen gun stores, so i’m thinking my luck is starting to turn up.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:7, topic:2576”]yeah i explored one bunker and found a crapton of turrets and manhacks, but i haven’t found a single gun in any of the other bunkers i’ve explored.

i did just discover a small town nearby with about a half dozen gun stores, so i’m thinking my luck is starting to turn up.[/quote]

Remember, always bring your all access key card (a truck/mini-nuke).

don’t worry, i’m busy armoring up my flatbed :wink:

Flamethrowers draw fuel from the same pool as engines do, so you just have to keep the gas tanks filled and they will be able to fire.

Flamethrowers draw fuel from the same pool as engines do, so you just have to keep the gas tanks filled and they will be able to fire.[/quote]

You know, now that I think about it maybe testing with an electric mobile bunker wasn’t the best idea. I’ll have to try with something a little more based off of fossil fuels. Thanks!

You don’t have to have a gas engine to have gas tanks, in fact I would recommend using electric engines so that you don’t suddenly run out of fuel when you have your flamethrowers going.

Also, don’t put flamethrowers on the front of your vehicle.

On this subject, where is it best to install non-flamethrower weapons? I have an M249 and a plasma cannon that I’ve been considering adding, and I didn’t want to put them right on the front in case they got badly damaged by running into things - but if I put them further back, will they blow holes in the vehicle parts between them and their targets?

Also, is it possible to craft hydrogen? It seems like something that could be crafted with high-level Cooking - you can do it via electrolysis of water IRL.

it seams like half the stuff here could be solved with a little debug mode.
[size=3pt]which i am too lazy to use .-.[/size]

is there a way to transport a motorcycle or fourwheeler in the back of another vehicle?

I don’t believe so. It would really only make sense for semi trucks if they are ever able to hitch on their trailer. If you want you could test out and see if modifications made to the fold up bike maintain it when changing to and from an item. If so you could a. Technically do what you wanted to do b. Fold up a solar powered tank using your newly found knowledge of turrets.

Modifications to the folding bike other than repairing it and changing its tires are disabled for technical reasons.

Eventually I’d like to make a generic system where you can fold up arbitrary small vehicles into an item and stash them in your trunk, limited only by your ability to lift them, but that’s going to be some kind of hairy coding, because you have to pack all of the data about the vehicle into the item somehow.

But yea, eventually a little go-kart thing you can fold up into a suitcase and stash in the trunk of your main vehicle should be a thing you can do.

Right now it’s restricted to the specific definition of the default bicycle, and it just stashes the damage levels of the various components.

cool! i look forward to playing Cata-Mario cart! :smiley:

so once you mount an M249 on a vehicle is it possible to operate it manually, or will it only fire automatically?