Trial and Error modding (A wandering updater encounter and adventure)

I’ll test it rn, real quick 1 min

That fixed it, it loaded right past it, and stopped at the other smokey bear issue. You must have forgot you changed it. I’ll fix the other problem tomorrow with a clean install, I sleep now. thanks for everything!

Np, thanks for checking that out. I’ll fix it in the OP.

edit: Made some changes to OP, hopefully it’ll be more clear what’s being downloaded and what isn’t included.

So, this morning I got everything freshly installed, double checked everything, and hit that error again with mon_bear_smoky.

I downloaded grepwin like you said, and searched in the CDDA directory and moused over each file it listed until I found the culprit.

mapgen_overlays.json in Dorf_Life

There’s your badass ruining my day. I have very little experience in messing with this stuff, but, from what I can tell if I remove

{
“type”: “mapgen”,
“method”: “json”,
“nested_mapgen_id”: “breach_spawn_smoky”,
“object”: { “mapgensize”: [ 5, 5 ], “place_monster”: [ { “monster”: “mon_bear_smoky”, “x”: [ 0, 4 ], “y”: [ 0, 4 ] } ] }
},

everything should work again. I think basically telling the game to spawn a certain monster around some event or location. If it’s not told to do this, then I won’t have to worry about. Testing now.

Success! Almost…

I then got this error (I didn’t make a new world so maybe thats why)

DEBUG : invalid monster type id “mon_bear_smoky”

FUNCTION : const T& generic_factory::obj(const string_id&) const [with T = mtype]
FILE : src/generic_factory.h
LINE : 352

But I was able to skip it. Who knows what this will do, but, I could skip it so w/e. I got another error as well when the game went to load items

DEBUG : item id technician_pants_ltblue is unknown

FUNCTION : virtual void Single_item_creator::check_consistency() const
FILE : src/item_group.cpp
LINE : 116

But it was skippable so onward I went until monster groups went to load and my old pal mon_bear_smoky came around again.

DEBUG : monster group GROUP_FIELD contains unknown monster mon_bear_smoky

FUNCTION : static void MonsterGroupManager::check_group_definitions()
FILE : src/mongroup.cpp
LINE : 443

With a buttload of related errors that I could skip. Then big river freaked out, skipped that too, and then too many mandatory overworld, skipped that, and VIOLA! I am at character creation screen. YAY

Sidenote: Yesterday I browsing the forums and researched this too many mandatory overworld error and found that Kevin had commented on how mods should not add things to the mandatory generation and suggested a better way to handle it: Link

Edit 1: Found out whats causing the technician pants error when scrolling through professions;

DEBUG : Missing item definition: technician_pants_ltblue

FUNCTION : const itype* Item_factory::find_template(const itype_id&) const
FILE : src/item_factory.cpp
LINE : 1108

appeared again when I went over Winter Scoundrel; it’s skippable but it kinda breaks the UI until you TAB over.

That error is from not creating a new world, but you should only see it the first time you load the world, the bad entries will be cleared next save. I forgot about the dorf_life fix, I’ll have to let chaosvolt know so he can fix on his end. Deleting the entry is a good solution.

The ltblue pants issue is from the old version of Oa’s Additional Buildings unless I’m mistaken. The version in my pack should be fixed, try replacing this file in M_Oa’s Additional buildings\json: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fzAFIh63EOynw9_-PNwbiCm7LTJXMbj8

Sure thing, I managed to get into a sewer AND download the maps, pretty awesome! I’ll save and create a new character real quick to see if that fix’s the ltblue pants

Edit 1: Tested, and sitll has the error.

DEBUG : item id technician_pants_ltblue is unknown

FUNCTION : virtual void Single_item_creator::check_consistency() const
FILE : src/item_group.cpp
LINE : 116

Maybe a latest game version broke it?

This was one of the first errors I fixed, it’s been like 2 weeks and I’m totally drawing a blank…I basically just used grepWin to track down the entries in mod’s directory and deleted or replaced ltblue with gray (“technician_pants_gray”,). If yo have to do something like that, let me know which files needed changing. I’ll bet I revamped a default mod and forgot again.

Ok, let me grep it, get back to you in a minute

Edit1: That did the trick. It’s the SD_winter mod again. just swapped the ltblue pants for technician_pants_gray like you said. No more issue.

Ah…Shadow dragons winter professions…I guess I’ll be adding it to the pack, I don’t think SD is still around. I changed a file in SD_wintercloth: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VAThIdbkminyYBtghgfAzbfLWUlEE-ZE
That should fix that one.

edit: so to recap, Dorf_life and sd_winterclothes had issues. I’ll add winterclothes to the pack, I don’t think that’s being maintained, but I’ll have to just post a fix for dorf_life until he gets it fixed.

1 Like

Yea. I get a ton of smoky bear issues, but you can just skip them. Also, something worth noting, I did a random character, which has been pretty fun way to play, and I was working my way to a sewage plant when I found myself in between like 50 opposum and 50 soldier ants. Luckily they ignored me, but, damn that could have gone bad. Posting screenie.

rockandahardplace

any idea why there is so many? lol

Edit1: You can’t see it, but, theres an ass load more ants to the right

theres so many…

Well…the ants are just being themselves, but the opossum thing…I’ve never seen so many of those spawn at once. My bane is lemmings, but they only spawn in packs of a dozen or so, nothing like this screen spanning mass of opossum. I want to say the ants have crowded out the spawnlists for everything but group_safe, hence the opossum…but I’m just guessing. I’ll need to try going on a road trip once I get the warhammer 40K fiasco sorted. Don’t install that mod unless you hate your survivor.

hmmmmm :thinking: good thing my survivor was just eaten alive by a Graboid. I’ll remove that 40k mod for now, I didn’t run into anything that’s in it yet. Time for another random smuck to die! Onwards!

1 Like

Oh yeah, it’s super broken right now. Some fool gave the orks guns which rapid fire 200 damage, 20 pierce bullets. My knight took 257 damage to the head through full plate armor. I’ve got a partially nerfed version done, but not uploaded yet. I should do that before people start cursing me lol

edit: super nerfed dakka version I only worked on the ork dakka, so I can’t vouch for ANYTHING else in the mod…I’m still listing it as broken in the OP

1 Like

Hey man, I may be missing something obvious but are you sure you uploaded the right file? I don’t see anything about orks in that mapgen_overlays.json

1 Like

lol, my bad. I don’t know what I did there :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: fixed
The nerfed version is also in the OP download. I probably overdid it, but they pissed me off :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll revisit it shortly.

1 Like

I discovered why you have such massive opossum spawns:

Kevin broke it. It’s been reverted, we are waiting for the compiler to do it’s thing so we can update. Until then, enjoy the crazy spawns or revert your install back to like…8166? Check the change logs in launcher to find out when that vector member change went in, use the build before that.

1 Like

haha lol, I’ll just deal until the update

or it will deal with me. WOWZER xD

Damn, what a bad A mofo my chika npc is

Edit final:believe it or not, I survived that and ran off into the field below with a SIG552 since ol’ chica got shredded. Well. At least I have a gun now.

Heh, yeah it affects zombie spawns too. Looks like 50x spawn kinds of numbers for a horde in the woods. It took me a minute to make sense of your tileset, my dwarf fortress foo is rusty. NPC’s get massive boosts from the npc mutations mod if they get a lucky mutation set. My favorites are sabertooth tiger morphs and insect types with a stinger tail.
Be very wary of picking fights with random npcs, lest you get eaten. There’re vampire NPC’s running around too, though the one I found was too lightly armored to survive, even with level 20 skills :wink: