Trenchcoat torso vs body

I know it might present balancing issues with encumbrance, but trenchcoats seem like a full-body kind of clothing, not just torso/arms. You don’t tuck them into your belt after all.

Trenchcoats kinda hang ABOUT your lower body, though, and don’t really get in the way, whereas something like, say, a robe, would wrap around your lower body and make it a bit more difficult to move.

So do dresses…

When I think trenchcoats, I think something that goes below the knee. Do we have this in-common?

Yes, but I agree that they shouldn’t encumber legs.

Or should they? They would also provide protection.

They and their encumbrance can be tweaked, so here’s a question: Should trenchcoats protect to the legs? If so, it should cover them.

Hmm, looking for pictures, it’s hard to put something like this:

Into the game because it stops at the bottom of the knee.

Ya can’t have it provide the 95% coverage for the torso and the 50% coverage for the legs. :confused:

I don’t think the current armor system has the capability to have values for encumbering torso/arms while maintaining a separate value for the player’s legs. I don’t believe it has the ability to have a separate coverage set for specific body parts, either.

But I do agree that a trenchcoat should provide some amount of protection to the legs. The way they’re designed they hang rather loosely around the legs so I don’t think it should encumber them that much if they do at all. My vision of the trenchcoat has always been one that goes down to about knee level, though other styles do end a few inches past the waist line.

Although for a current solution we could have some form of “military trench coat” reminiscent of the German, WW2 era style. Those were long enough to cover down to the ankles, so the coverage/encumbrance issue would be moot.

The difference between a trenchcoat and a robe or dress (I assume, I don’t have experience wearing dresses) is that your legs are still free to move without any restraint.

Trenchcoats are split in the back up to the waist and don’t button all the way down in the front to allow your legs freedom of movement. When you stand still they drape down over your legs, sure, but if you lift your leg up (to kick, for example) the coat doesn’t get in the way of that. You don’t have to shuffle your feet in smaller steps when you walk, you’re free to make full strides.

Forget encumbrance, should it provide protection if a dog tries to nom your leg? As-is, it doesn’t- we’re wearing these:

A stiff breeze blows a trenchcoat open below the waist. I don’t see any reason why a zombie or an explosion would have any more trouble getting at your lower body.

He’s got a point, maybe a zombie will hit it just right and the lower part of the coat will provide some additional protection but even closed I doubt it’ll help much.

[quote=“An0n3, post:7, topic:3337”]The difference between a trenchcoat and a robe or dress (I assume, I don’t have experience wearing dresses) is that your legs are still free to move without any restraint.

Trenchcoats are split in the back up to the waist and don’t button all the way down in the front to allow your legs freedom of movement. When you stand still they drape down over your legs, sure, but if you lift your leg up (to kick, for example) the coat doesn’t get in the way of that. You don’t have to shuffle your feet in smaller steps when you walk, you’re free to make full strides.[/quote]

Hah, tell that to my ~30lb leather trenchcoat :smiley:

Yes we’d ideally have accurate coverage, encumbrance, warmth, etc values broken out per part, but it seems like a lot of work for a very small amount of value.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:11, topic:3337”][quote=“An0n3, post:7, topic:3337”]The difference between a trenchcoat and a robe or dress (I assume, I don’t have experience wearing dresses) is that your legs are still free to move without any restraint.

Trenchcoats are split in the back up to the waist and don’t button all the way down in the front to allow your legs freedom of movement. When you stand still they drape down over your legs, sure, but if you lift your leg up (to kick, for example) the coat doesn’t get in the way of that. You don’t have to shuffle your feet in smaller steps when you walk, you’re free to make full strides.[/quote]

Hah, tell that to my ~30lb leather trenchcoat :smiley:

Yes we’d ideally have accurate coverage, encumbrance, warmth, etc values broken out per part, but it seems like a lot of work for a very small amount of value.[/quote]

That might be the problem right there: leather trenchcoats are thicker and bulkier (and heavier) than fabric ones.

/KA101, whose insulated fabric trenchcoat doesn’t get in his way, and isn’t split up the back either :slight_smile:

Nah, me having a big coat isn’t the source of the problem, if there is one. I have a wide assortment of trenchcoats, and more importantly, I never even touched the trenchcoat definitions.