Towns:TOWN HARDER, now with 100% more names!

Now, I live in New England, the setting for this game as I recently learned, and I though, that maybe the towns in Cataclysm should have names, and some of the more well known ones would be slightly less randomized. The way this would work, is your survivor is following a road, and he sees a road sign, which say, for example, 5 miles to Boston, or Exit 2A for New York. Something like that. Speaking of specific towns, Very well known ones such as Boston, and the other various capitals of New England should have a slightly less random placement. All of these would be very large towns, and have a certain condition for placement. For example, Boston is guaranteed to start near the “Ocean” when it is implemented. The town itself would still be random, just the location would be slightly less. Buildings could also have names, such as a apartment tower being called Boston apartments or something like that.

tl;dr Read the thing, its not that long.

Welcome to the forums, Werty.

I think there was something about having towns get names in dev, but I’m not sure what came of it (maybe you need to read them off a map?).

Re oceans, etc: Unfortunately, there’s currently no “Ocean” terrain, nor any hard boundary. You can go east as far as you like and you’ll not hit the Atlantic.

Re multi-city highways: Right now I think the mapgen is fairly limited in its ability to string multiple towns along one highway. It’s gotten much better from when I first picked it up (02Feb) but it’s still not Interstate yet.

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:1973”]Welcome to the forums, Werty.

I think there was something about having towns get names in dev, but I’m not sure what came of it (maybe you need to read them off a map?).

Re oceans, etc: Unfortunately, there’s currently no “Ocean” terrain, nor any hard boundary. You can go east as far as you like and you’ll not hit the Atlantic.

Re multi-city highways: Right now I think the mapgen is fairly limited in its ability to string multiple towns along one highway. It’s gotten much better from when I first picked it up (02Feb) but it’s still not Interstate yet.[/quote]
Just seeing the name on a sign on the outskirts (now entering Framingham(New England town) would work too.

Oceans are planned I believe.

The bit about highways is not necessary, but more complex highways would be nice. A cloverleaf or such, exits, maybe a well known interstate, such as the I-95, the interstate that goes north-south through New England, with 4-8 lanes, lots of cars and zombies every now and then.

Also thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

The towns have names, and they are taken from the list of town names in new england wikipedia page.

Erm… I just haven’t gotten around to adding a way for you to see the name… I was going to have road signs spawn next to the road into town, but I got distracted.

Great! I hope to see that soon.

adding some real locatons would be fun. Id love to go clear out foxborough stadium and kill zombie Tom Bradey (Im a giants/jets fan). Or possibly have zombie teddy kennedy coming after me.

Oceans/shores being added his heartening, I expect loads of interesting encounters from that environment… in an ‘entirely unrelated’ I may just hop on down to Dunwich or Innsmouth and wait for this whole ‘Resonance Cascade’ nonsese to blow over… I say people there know what’s what, hold to the good old ways they do!

If you go south enough, banjos, shotguns, chewing tobacco, and casual racism. Far enough south, and you start finding kilos of coke.

Come down to scenic Florida, see the Rocket Ranch, over-run by dead scientists. Come on over to Wally-world, and see Mr. Walt Wisney’s reanimated head in a tankbot.

I like the idea of regions.
Currently, the Aero-evaporator is the cure-all to dehydration. If we had desert regions, like Arizona, or as it’s more commonly known as, Hell, it’d give it the nerf it needs.

Problem: the Blob only reanimates stuff that got infected whilst living. Ted Kennedy’s already dead, so it can’t raise him. :-/