Hi all! New guy here with kinda long rant and a shorter question. Also my english is far from perfect so my apologies in advance (grammar nazis consider yourselves warned).
Last time I played Cataclysm DDA was a while ago (can’t remember which version it was). Anyway I remember that during that playthrough getting enough food was, at least in start of the game, a bit of a challenge. I settled in the starting shelter which was conveniently placed on the edge of a forest so there was enough animals to hunt/butcher and get some food. But I did need to hunt to get food, and search around to find some animals. Ok there was always a squirrel or two by the shelter but you wouldn’t get much meat from them so occasional search for a deer or even a bear was necessary.
Now lets jump to present day and the latest version (By latest I mean latest stable since that is what I am playing and not experimental). Similar situation like in the last example. Living in the starting shelter on the edge of the forest far enough from nearest town. However this time when I run out of food things are quite different. I need to get some food so I open the door of shelter, step outside on the first tile, press “Shift+v” to get list of monsters and this is what I get. 3 rattlesnakes, 2 dogs, coyote, opossum, moose and a jumping spider. While its not always that “bad” I would still say that number of spawning animals is way too high and getting enough food is not a challenge at all, even at the start with survival skill at low levels.
Another thing that bugs me is animals killing each other. This sounds good at first glance since it adds to immersion but now there is always few corpses around the shelter. There is no need to attack animals for food now since you can simply circle around the shelter and butcher corpses just lying around. This also affects fishing and farming. Why should I fish or farm when I can just scavenge meat from corpses littered everywhere.
So here’s few thoughts
- Number of peaceful animals (or semi peaceful since average moose is an ass) should be reduced
- Could devs implement that predators actually eat their pray? That coyote killed that squirrel because it is hungry, not because he wanted vengeance on squirrel for killing his family. I feel this would add to immersion and more importantly make game a little harder since you couldn’t just run around and grab meat from dead animals.
Anyway here’s a few questions
- When playing on static spawn mode. Does spawn rate scaling factor affect both monsters spawned at the start of the game (e.g. zombies in towns) and monsters/animals spawned later in the game or only those spawned later? I want to reduce number of forest animals but I feel like number of zombies in town is about right and wouldn’t really want to reduce zombie numbers.
- Whats a good number of spawn rate scaling? I was thinking about setting it to 0.5.
- Is any of this changed in experimental version? Also how stable is latest experimental and would you guys recommend switching from stable to experimental.
TLDNR: Too many forest animals, getting food is too easy.