An option to turn off random zombie dogs and zombears

Can we please get a freakin option for this? Or can someone tell me how to delete them from the wilderness spawns because I’m getting tired of sleeping/crafting/walking around and having to deal with a zombie dog or a zombear every time.

Remove them from the forest groups in monster_groups.json. You may also be interested in removing the ends part of the statement in the dog, bear an moose entries (to ensure you an go do some good ol’ fashioned hunting once in a while).

Its literally the first change I make every time I download the experimental, the zombie animals are just annoying, not hard, just incredibly annoying.

Zombears annoy the piss out of me, the dogs on the other hand i dont hardly notice, probably cause i just kill all animals i see as i have the negative trait that makes all animals want to tear my face off.

Although I share your annoyance, I think this is going into the realms of ‘having an option for everything’.

If zombears and dogs are annoying, why don’t we make them better or lower their spawn rate?

Zombear and Zomdog spawn rates /do/ seem a little high to me, personally. That said, there should be tons of zombie dogs in the cities. I mean, how many people have dogs or multiple dogs in their homes? I’d love to see packs of roving zombie dogs. :smiley:

That said, I had a character one who, in the first day, was attacked by 21 zombie dogs just in the immediate area of the shelter she spawned in, and it was kind of silly.

There already are roving packs of zombie dogs. And they are rather obnoxious.

I haven’t seen them yet. :slight_smile:

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:2, topic:5688”]Remove them from the forest groups in monster_groups.json. You may also be interested in removing the ends part of the statement in the dog, bear an moose entries (to ensure you an go do some good ol’ fashioned hunting once in a while).

Its literally the first change I make every time I download the experimental, the zombie animals are just annoying, not hard, just incredibly annoying.[/quote]

Hell, yea!

Thanks for the info. With Zooses, Zolves and Zougars, I am pretty annoyed already. You can’t do 3 steps without dealing with some form of z-animal, and as you said, they are not hard, just annoying.

Also, I am pissed they are cutting in my meat diet :frowning:

This is beginning to sound like a bad Dr. Seuss knockoff.

Zombears and other Zom-wildlife should give more pelts for once, and maybe even sinews and bones. Not valid for zombie dogs of course.

Then at least there would be some value to them.

I think it’s a general problem of how DDA deals with rarity/spawning. It always seems to go way too high until someone cuts it back. I think it’s mainly that people have tested to see if it works, and then not cut it down enough. I imagine you’d only see a zombear once ever 3 weeks or so in ‘reality’.

Someone dev like take a look?

It’s because people who rejigger the spawn values are pretty bad at rejiggering, and the spawns in general are always too damn high.

Zom bear,moose,dog whathaveyou spawns don’t bug me so much as the fact that they home in on you like a player seeking missile.

Exactly that.

They are hostile and spawned where they are seeing you most of the time… how exactly should they react if not like homing missile?

I don’t like to complain about free stuff, and the game is super fun, but I have a gripe on the zombie animals and animals in general.

here goes…

My recent long game has seen between 6-10 zoose, zombear & zombie dog spawns PER DAY in the vicinity of my base in the starting shelter, and I’m set up over 200 squares from the nearest structure or woods. It’s past annoying as I can kill them easily now, but, for instance I tried to repair a car parked just outside my base and mid crafting a zombear wanders in and mauls open my gas tank.

General wildlife spawns are super high too, and since normal sized tiny spiders and super cute friendly puppies are all “monsters” it makes safe mode super painful. IRL Bull Moose are notably aggressive animals, but not spot you welding in the back of a windowless cube van from their maximum visual range, climb through the open drivers door, through the cab and into the cargo area to maul you aggressive.

And that’s with the animal empathy trait

So there’s possibly some re-balancing to be done.

I think that there is plenty of challenge for those who want it, just go to town to find it. Being able to carve out a corner of the countryside that is not overrun every day with the same creatures is important too though for the purpose of preparing for the next level of challenge.

Another concern is that this constitutes a daily food and supplies delivery that outstrips my ability to consume. Each day I’m presented with creatures providing me with about 10-20 each fat and fur, 20-30 each meat and bone, uncounted heaps of tainted meat and occasional chitin and feathers. I can’t kill and cook and eat fast enough.

By year two, the acid rain and loyalty mismatches mean that the ground is littered with animal corpses I didn’t even kill. Once I was trying to craft and found I had run out of superglue. I had not been collecting bones, but I didn’t have to go more than 20 steps from the shelter to find enough to brew up a couple batches.

So yeah, I love the game. It’s not even finished yet :wink: