Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!

X-files!
let me recall the events to the car.

1. Been keeping the car for months.
  2. Been setting corpses of beezombies on fire to clean them.
  3. Turns out the walls of beehives are flamable.
  4. 9 overland tiles of the hive is on fire.
  5. Been making trips (walking) between my shelter and hive.
  6. Fire still rages on days after, I suspect fire is only burning when I am near hive and is suspended when I am at shelter.
  7. Car not used parked outside of my shelter.
  8. On waking up/returning from hive noticed car is partially destroyed with both fuel tanks gone.
  9. Repaired using spare parts, no extra fuel tank as they don’t spawn in garages.
  10. Sneaked into city at night and steal a car that I marked down.
  11. Repaired fuel tank.
  12. New car parked near old car.
  13. Suspect monster bashing old car, set up 2 turrets near them.
  14. Woke up to find the 2 turrets have been teleported very far away from where I left them.
  15. Continued raiding another hive near the one that is still burning.
  16. Came back/woke up and found both cars 90% destroyed.
  17. Reload backup save and check status of car before destroyed. Turns out it is partially damaged at one point.
  18. Suspect burning the hive might be the cause of this. Car is nowhere near the fire but is parked on the road near my shelter.

Solution: park car far away/sit in car near hive until it burns away.

It is a mystery

After a year of living.
Went on a road trip, explored such a great area that it broke the map, I lost my older maps. Savegame is over 60mb and takes a long time to load.
Found 6.5l engine in a wreck, couldn’t pick it up as it is over 1000 weight. Parked car beside the engine and replace 2.5l with 6.5l. 6.5l makes as much noise as a rifle and monsters kept spawning, ended up with 300+ monsters chasing me, the ground beside the road is covered with mounds of dirt caused by worms. Found shelter where the spawn stops and replaced it with 2.5l. But the 6.5l top speed is over 1000km/h. :o

My turn for a noob question.

Anybody got info on producing nails?

I can make every other thing I need to build just about anything I want, yet the only sources of nails seem to be from smashing household furnishings and from hardware stores of course.

I’m hoping that there’s some means of making them that I just haven’t uncovered yet.

Nope, no blacksmithing in the game currently. You can get them from dissembling or smashing furniture, walls, doors, and windowframes.

The fastest option is probably to light a house on fire and let it burn down, it’ll burn up all the wood but there should be significant piles of nails scattered about. Also you can find some boxes of nails in hardware shops. It’s actually better than it used to be, the only sources were hardware stores not that long ago.

Re making nails: It’s fairly time prohibitive in reality, 100nails/hour is very fast for making nails by hand (probably equivalent of a skill of 6 or even higher), and that assumes you have appropriate bar stock ready to go, I’d at LEAST double this if the input were raw ingots or similar.

Implementation-wise it’d require a blacksmithing skill, forge and anvil to have a decent approximation of a smithy setup. Of course then there’d be other things you could forge, so it might be worthwhile to do at some point, but probably not any time soon.

Right on. I was hoping for some sort of semi-arcane kludge involving welders and hammers or something but I can get by with that. Though I would still like to see them appear a little more frequently; perhaps we might find a box or two in houses once in a while? I know I keep some nails and screws on hand for household repairs.

That’s a good point, I don’t even build much stuff and I have a few hundred assorted nails/screws. Just a matter of sticking them on the appropriate spawn list with the right rarity. I’ll keep it in mind.

Just to second more nails, I think that they’re pretty much the most needed item once you get all of the standard stuff. Some of the recipes seem to use quite a lot of nails (probably a realistic amount) as well such as building a window needing 30, so possibly some of the recipes could get their nail value taken down a notch?

Also, I think this was mentioned before, but wood axes reallllly need to be upped in frequency, I never find any!!

My opinion:
Nails: more frequent
Woodaxe: spawn in outdoor sports and hardwareshops, maybe houses.
Petrol fuel tank: spawn in garage and roads
Flamethrowers: currently only in spidernest from searching the spawnfile
Pilot light: I only found this on npcs.
SMGs: gunshops usualy have shelves for handguns, shotguns, rifles, accessories and ammo. I’ve found smg in gunshops but it is rare.
Jackhammer: game has both english and french version of it.

Due to the size of my exploration, the game takes over 5 minutes to load now. :o

SMGs: gunshops usualy have shelves for handguns, shotguns, rifles, accessories and ammo. I’ve found smg in gunshops but it is rare.[/quote]

Weirdly, I’ve got 6 SMG’s now!! I always seem to find them! However, I never find enough of the correct sort of ammo for the guns I’ve got for some reason.

My opinion:
Nails: more frequent
Woodaxe: spawn in outdoor sports and hardwareshops, maybe houses.
Petrol fuel tank: spawn in garage and roads
Flamethrowers: currently only in spidernest from searching the spawnfile
Pilot light: I only found this on npcs.
SMGs: gunshops usualy have shelves for handguns, shotguns, rifles, accessories and ammo. I’ve found smg in gunshops but it is rare.
Jackhammer: game has both english and french version of it.

Due to the size of my exploration, the game takes over 5 minutes to load now. :o[/quote]You can get Pilot Lights by disassembling Hotplates and Water Purifiers. Use the ‘(’ key to start disassembly.

And the Jacqueshammer is a joke item, but I made it work like the normal Jackhammer seeing as they’re pretty rare anyway.

You get them from gunshops? I suppose they are rare in gunshops as they are automatic. The rifles in gunshops are mostly semi-auto.

[quote=“The Darkling Wolf, post:70, topic:42”]You can get Pilot Lights by disassembling Hotplates and Water Purifiers. Use the ‘(’ key to start disassembly.

And the Jacqueshammer is a joke item, but I made it work like the normal Jackhammer seeing as they’re pretty rare anyway.[/quote]
I get heating element from hotplates.
The Jacqueshammer puzzled me. :confused: I was wondering why I have both versions of them.

Yeah, I derped there, pilot lights are from disassembling lighters.

I’m bored and I think I can share my standart tactics with you and maybe even help some newbs.

First I would like to tell you how I create my character.
Stats:
I usually go with 14 int and everything else on standart.
Traits:
Quick, Parkour Expert, Lightfooted, Night Vision, Fast Reader and Fast Learner are the most important traits to me so if you think you can take a few negative traits then be sure to get them
Skills:
Never really bothered with them. You can learn anything in-game.

Now after you spawn in the world you should search the basement of the evac shelter for something usefull like a backpack and then go to the next town.
Important buildings for me are:
Mil surplus (backpacks and other storage items, food, water, books, armour and other usefull stuff)
Sport Shops (binoculas, backpacks, tents, tools, baseball bat (really good melee bashing weapon) and so much more I can’t even list them all here :D)
Garage and Parking lots (cars :P)
Gun stores (not that important as I rather play melee but it’s good to have a rifle or handgun)
Hardware stores (get yourself a crowbar and steeltoed shoes and you are good. I only take more from it if I intend to build a base)
Zombies spawn starts at 9:30am but if you:
-only fight at fences and other terrains that hinder movement
-run around houses so the zombies loose your track
-don’t get cornered
-find a molotov (:P)

You can easily search a few extra hours.

So now after we got ourself some equipment I usually decide what I do next either I build a base or travell around by car or by foot.
As a base I always take the evac shelter as long as it is far enough away from the town it’s sufficient and has many exits where you can escape if things get difficult.
When it’s day I usually:
-Read (you decide what you think is more important to you. For example if you have some nice bionics you should focus on electronic, mechanic and first aid)
-Explore the surrounding area (if possible stay on roads, have your autosafe on and watch out for worms. Once I didn’t had my safe on and I got slaughtered in like 1 second)
-Craft and reinforce the hideout (if you found a shovel then make pits around your windows this can get really handy if wolves decide to “siege” your base xD)
-Train my melee skills (Ideally if you find a beehive wait for a lot of scarred zombies to come, drop everything that encumbers your torse and kite them through obstacles or if you are really badass like me you go into the town and slaughter some zombies. :smiley: In my last playthrough I killed over 100 normal zombies only by using windows in 2 days.)

At night I:
-Raid towns or military outposts (somehow those turrets glow in the dark… if you manage to bomb yourself a way in stay from turrets 1-2 tiles away or they will shoot the shit out of you)
-Sleep without raiding to heal wounds (Happens really often after I have trained my melee skills :D)
-Read at candle light (beehives are your friends if you can kill the bees and zombies)

Raiding towns at night is actually the easiet way to get supplies.
At the beginning it is a little bit strange not to see anything and that’s the reason I never did it at the beginning but if you explored the map with your binoculars you can orientate with the minimap. Never use flashlights in the open street though! You should remember to make a note when you scavenge a building so you don’t waste your time when you forget that you already visited that house the day before. Also don’t panic when you get chased by zombies and just simply outrun them. With the quick bonus and maybe some stimulants they loose your track soon.
When you enter a store you can flick your flashlight on and off to speed up the scavenging but remember: Even if you don’t see them, they can see you!
Aim to be home at about 0:00 so you can wake up at 7-8am.

Now I repeat this until I either die or pimp my ride and then drive away to build a new base in an other town.
I’m still working on the second goal though. :smiley:

But if I decide to be a lone wolf I have no actual plan and only try to learn from my mistakes in my previous lifes.
Some important items are:
-A tent, cot, rollmat (if you don’t have a car)
-lighter (to cook food)
-sharp item (to butcher corpses)
-pot (to boil water)
-a weapon of course
-first aid and painkillers (you will get hurt a lot… at least I do)
-binoculars
-“crowd control” items like molotovs and grenades
-crowbar
-flashlight (always carry a fleshlight with you. Hehehe…)
-food and water (humans have to eat and drink)

That are only the most imporant in my opinion and you can also take books and other stuff with you. Especially if you have a car.
Now there are some things I noticed that can increase your survival chance by a lot though most of it only applies when you haven’t a car.

Always stay on the road:
Worms… they are everywhere.
Wolfes are deadly:
If you have no firearm. If that’s the case I first look at how many wolves there are. A single wolve will stay passive until you get too close from him or start running away. NEVER run away from them as it/they will 100% get you. Throw stones at him and use underbushes or other obstacles to your advantage. With some proper melee skills you can one hit a wolf.
But if you encounter a pack you should focus on killing one of them. Plan your movement so you only have to fight one wolf at a time. If you have stimulants use them now as wolves are really fast and you won’t be able to do it midfight. So after you finally manage to kill a single wolf the other will start ignoring you. And when I say that they ignore you then I mean it! Hit them, kill them, they don’t care! That’s basically free experience and food.
Never travell at night:
There are so many things that can kill you and you can’t even react fast enough because when you see them it’s already too late.
Caves are a no-go:
You’d think bears are fluffy and not too aggressive. Well, this only applies when you don’t enter their caves.
They are fast, they are strong, they are deadly.
Stay away from swamps:
Ok, if you feel lucky you can pass them and hope no monsters spawn but if you stay there too long you’re fucked.
Beehives are your friends:
As I mentioned befor it’s a good way to train your melee skills and get some delicous honey combs.
Avoid NPCs:
They either kill you or crash your game. And even if they are friendly and you ask them to teach you a skill they will lead you into a forest. I think they rape you there…
Drop your backpack and other torso encumbrance items when you fight:
Those negative effects are really overkill in my opinion.
Don’t forget your backpack and other torse encumbrance items:
Happened way too often to me…
Mound of Dirts are evil:
They explode. Do I have to say anything else?

I guess that’s all for now.
Please excuse my bad english and have fun in your apocalypse. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ygdrad, post:57, topic:42”]If you leave your headlights on when you park your car in the evening, chances are you’ll be out of battery before morning and unable to start the engine.[/quote]That happened to my dad and I once when we were out camping a few years back. Our van’s doors automatically turn on the lights when opened, and apparently said lights don’t turn off until the doors are closed. We left the doors open the whole night… He had to borrow my aunt’s car and use jumper cables to restart the van in the morning.

Real life tip: NEVER leave your vehicle doors open overnight while out camping (or anywhere else, for that matter). It might not work out in the morning…

Here is a long thread of questions I asked on the old forum. This was very helpful. There is a ton of info on the old forums.

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1911.0

Hi folks, can someone tell me what size usually have the maps of the game, I’ve traveled the initial map and find no way out to other places, I found only a initial big city, that’s it? or traveling a long way across the field I can get to other cities? All roads are blocked, rivers without bridges or large forests…

Maps are technically infinite, more area will be generated. It is just a matter of time…
But save files can become very large, thus maps are technically infinite. If you have infinite storage space.

gta is correct naps are technical infinite but the maps might just crash before they can get to big

Theoretically I have too much storage space (+200 gb), but when I start to get away far to one side the game freezes …
Is this normal? I wait for it to generate more amount of territory? When taken to generate? Sorry for so many questions that I have many doubts…

When you travell far enough the maps will have to generate first and then it freeze.
How long depends on your CPU.