New Player Here!

Hello there everybody!

I’ve recently got into computer gaming and happend to stubble upon this game and another roguelike (cough[size=5pt]Dwarf Fortress[/size]cough) from TheZemalf’s and Avaak’s YouTube channels.

I think I’ve got the basics down, but I could definitely use some help. As a new guy I decided to turn off special zombies and skill rust, but I plan to turn special zombies on when I get the hang of things. I’m not sure about skill rust though, I just feel that it’ll hamper what I can do a little too much. But, I’ve kept skill points the same, as I feel it to be a little bit cheat-ey.

I am really interested in building a character that uses bows and lives mostly of the land. Probably build a house and fortify it before moving and doing somewhere else. Hell maybe a few excursions into towns to get some unnecessary equipment.

wink wink I hear guns and vehicles can be pretty fun.

With jokes aside, I was wondering what a good build would be to do this. Also what should be my first steps should be to get some decent starting equipment? As everytime I try to get some, I am brutelly maulled to death with no mercy.

I am here just to greet you, because i have never actually made a bow!
So, welcome!

For decent starting equipment, if you start as the bow hunter profession, you get a combat knife, which is very useful. Leather gear tends to have more protection if you’re just starting out. Military surplus stores and metal wreckage generally have intact army gear, which provides good protection + storage.

Builds are pretty straightforward, especially if you have skill rust off. If there’s something you want to do, you just level up the skill until you can do it. Books give you recipes and help you level up combat skills in a less dangerous way.

Tips: Don’t leave corpses lying around, they attract wolves. Avoid wolves. Dig spike pits, easiest way to keep unwanted guests out of places.

Also, feel free to ask any more questions in the Tips, Tricks, and noob questions topic, or scroll through it, chances are someone’s had a similar one.

And welcome to Cataclysm. Have fun!

Alas, it bothers me greatly that I have but this advice to give:

-Git gud.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you won’t die too much!

[spoiler]But in all seriousness, the wiki, while outdated, can be of some help when you are starting out, especially this pages:

-How to: Survive your first day
-Beyond the first day

But if something crops up and you don’t know how to handle it, feel free to ask us.[/spoiler]

Wait, wolves get attracted by bodies?

OHOHOHOHOOHOHOHOHOHOHO

OHOHOHOOHOH

OHOHO

Welcome newb, you call call me Ninja. Or the J-9 beater. One look at my stats, and your one day survivor will look pitiful! Muhauhauhha!

Anyway. I wish you luck in surviving a year.

Welcome! A few starting tips:

Intact zombie corpses will eventually (usually after a few hours) resurrect. You can prevent this by butchering them (easy survival skill training!) or smashing them with “s”, though the latter has a chance of damaging the tool/weapon you’re using.

You can convert either a single gallon jug or several plastic bottles into a Funnel with no or very low skill req. You can then place this over a container to collect a whole bunch of water when it rains. The larger the container the better, an aluminium keg will generally be completely full after a week or so. Keep in mind that for whatever reason (probably related to the fact that it RAINS ACID) cataclysm rainwater is NOT safe to drink, and has to be purified first.

If you’re looking to focus on archery, the Bow Hunter profession is an obvious, though not critical choice. You’ll want 12 strength if you want to use the higher tier bows. As with any character you absolutely MUST get 10 perception, to be able to spot buried landmines (and the accuracy bonus doesn’t hurt either. Dex is nice, but fairly low priority. 8 will do fine. How much Int you want depends on your playstyle, though i’d recommend at least 10. Ingame, you’ll want to put a high priority on Sporting Goods Stores, which often have archery supplies, and libraries, which can contain the books The Fletcher’s Friend or The Bowyer’s Buddy, which contain all the high-end archery recipes.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:4, topic:6952”]Alas, it bothers me greatly that I have but this advice to give:

-Git gud.

[spoiler]But in all seriousness, the wiki, while outdated, can be of some help when you are starting out, especially this pages:

-How to: Survive your first day

I’ve already made what seems like 30 characters.
-Beyond the first day

But if something crops up and you don’t know how to handle it, feel free to ask us.[/spoiler][/quote]

Eh,

What just happened to my last post?

A few tips off the top of my head. Heed these well, for they are from a 1337 pr0! Seriously.

Keep all skill books. They have recipes, if you didn’t know already. But you can use the book as a reference if you have one near by so you don’t have to memorize them.

Always keep a flashlight.

Some swords are fake.

Keep some water on you at all times.

Keep a crowbar at all times.

Find a hairpin and wear it. You don’t know when you’ll need it, plus picking locks scale off of mechanics.

Don’t do drugs.

[quote=“Nikht Revan, post:9, topic:6952”]Eh,

What just happened to my last post?[/quote]

[quote=“Nikht Revan, post:8, topic:6952”][quote=“John Candlebury, post:4, topic:6952”]Alas, it bothers me greatly that I have but this advice to give:

-Git gud.

-How to: Survive your first day[/quote][/quote]

I’ve already made what seems like 30 characters.

Fix'd. Put yer text after the [./quote]

Unless you’re installing bionics. Then doing drugs can be a healthy and wholesome activity!

welcome to the forums.

Holy shit, Keyreper? Didn’t I know you from the FLCE mod, years ago? I went by Nightrogue then, I believe.

If a museum/antique store is nearby and you’ve put a dent in the zombie population then go for it!

Swords are awesome weapons,though check it’s description to see if it’s fake or legit first.

Unless you’re installing bionics. Then doing drugs can be a healthy and wholesome activity![/quote]

shrug

Holy shit, Keyreper? Didn’t I know you from the FLCE mod, years ago? I went by Nightrogue then, I believe.[/quote]

A hint of memory is evident in Ninja’s eyes

I have completely forgot to mention that I play with static spawns on. So I believe incursion into the center of town right off the bat might not go so well.

sorry, I really have no idea what your talking about.

It could. You just need a 1 tile window. Lure the zombies into the windows.

Wait, have we told you about bushes?

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:18, topic:6952”]It could. You just need a 1 tile window. Lure the zombies into the windows.

Wait, have we told you about bushes?[/quote]

I know about bushes, but wouldn’t fighting all of those zombies one after the other kill my character?

Nope. You need a one tile window for it to work flawlessly, or any window in general when facing a huge battalion of zombies.