Tips, Tricks, and Newb Questions!

So I’ve got a character survive longer than just 5 minutes and he’s full of cocaine and shit and I really need a car. Do they appear on parking lots only?

Garages also.

I installed headlights on my car but died shortly after. (There should be two “Do you really want to jump out a moving vehicle?” messages…)
So do I have to activate the headlights manually or do they work at night automatically?

There is a button to be pressed, but I won’t tell.

You use the $ key to toggle them, and they currently don’t use any fuel or anything.

Psssst. I didn’t tell him because I didn’t know eighter.

I don’t think they really should use fuel, car batteries last for years after all, you could probably even use them for an advanced bionic energy storage slot, or to refill other batteries, or you know, since welders use batteries for some weird reason and not an oxygen welder, have them for long-life welder batteries.

Using car parts to fuel a device for attaching car parts?

What is this madness?

Noob survival rule # 417 : As awesome as it sounds on paper to kill zombies using a flamethrower and chainsaw, it typically does not work out as planned.

Hi! Just registered here after checking on Cataclysm’s development after a hiatus, got the new version and I’m having a blast again with it.

However, I didn’t get much in-depth with the game and I’m finding myself at a loss as to how to fix broken limbs. An NPC accidentally shot me and instakilled my right arm. I’d love to be able to use my two-handed weapons again, so what do I need to fix the arm and where do I find it?

Sorry for any typos/incoherency, posting from my phone. Thanks for the great game and the help I’ve already gleaned from the thread.

Your character is mega boned (that’s a technical term). There is currently no way to bring a limb back from being brought to 0HP.

Would a CBM:prosthetics make sense? That’s the only thing in the game I can think of that would reasonably restore a limb.
Possibly just add it to CBM: medical if there is one.

Wouldn’t that just heal the arm back from 0 hp? Make it not take up space in the CBM GUI so I can have thousands with it flooding the pages.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:52, topic:42”]Your character is mega boned (that’s a technical term). There is currently no way to bring a limb back from being brought to 0HP.

Would a CBM:prosthetics make sense? That’s the only thing in the game I can think of that would reasonably restore a limb.
Possibly just add it to CBM: medical if there is one.[/quote]

Oh, damnit. This was going really well too besides that. I’ll try to see how long I can last if that’s the case, hopefully something will be implemented soon to remedy that, I’m not too familiar with C++ (hopefully that’s what Cataclysm uses and I’m not sounding like an idiot, I think that’s right at least) or I’d do it myself. I guess repair nanobots off a CBM:Medical won’t help either?

Edit: On an entirely different topic, is it a bug that when a vehicle collides with some static surface (walls, doors, railings, fences, etc.) with enough force to stop the car, the speed-holding feature breaks? Like normally you’d press [UP] a few times and it’ll hold your speed close to 50mph or whatever, but after this bug/feature/whatever occurs you press [UP] you accelerate 2-3mph immediately and if you wait one turn you’ll start slowing down. It’s rather frustrating to have to worry about holding my speed manually rather than just being able to focus on planning my exact route through the city. It’s rather difficult to describe, I hope that made sense. I’d create a bug report thread for it but as it’s been in Cataclysm back when Whales had the reigns, I think this is either some weird feature I don’t fully understand or it’s just a result of code limitations or something.

It’s cruise control, it flicks off after hitting something. I think it’s ^ or something to turn it on.

Wow, after all my driving about I never knew that menu existed. Thanks a ton.

A car’s headlights DO use fuel indirectly, that car battery is FAR from lasting a year. Cars have a built-in system which recharges the battery while the engine is running, kind of like a generator. If you leave your headlights on when you park your car in the evening, chances are you’ll be out of battery before morning and unable to start the engine.

If your using a debugger, such as gdb, you could always fix your health during loading.

Under gdb it would be something like
[tt]gdb ./cataclysm
break player.cpp:518
run
[/tt]

The when the game pauses when you load your character:
[tt]p hp_cur[3][/tt]
Should give 0 as the result, this is the unrecoverable limb (use 2 instead of 3 if it was really the left arm). And finally:
[tt]set hp_cur[3]=hp_max[3][/tt]
Will fully reheal it.

Woke up to find my car destroyed.
Any idea what happened? Lightning storm set it on fire?
I was sleeping underground in the shelter.

Lightning is turned off in DDA, so not that, and I can’t think of anything else that would wreck a motionless car.