Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

There were quite a few useful advices. Also, since then temperatures have been patched so ICC should be enough on its own.

(1) Is fuel exponentially used as you speed up your vehicle? Said differently, to spend less fuel, only use a reasonable speed if no danger?

(2) Should 5.56 turrets not give ammos if they never fired? Also, once you have it as a ‘broken turret’, is it possible to repair it (yes apparently) but can you use it as your or it will be foe again?

tl, dr: Yes, to spend less fuel, drive at reasonable speeds for your engine.

As long as you are under safe speed, fuel consumption varies linearly with engine strain. Engine strain at constant speed is the ratio of your vehicle’s drag deceleration to your vehicle’s acceleration at that speed.

Drag is usually roughly proportional to the square of speed (for slow vehicles with extremely high rolling resistance, like some tanks, its more proportional to speed since the linear rolling resistance dominates the quadratic air drag) and acceleration at speed is linearly inverse to speed.

For most vehicles, it works out that fuel consumption increases with the cube of speed and it’s never better than the square of speed. So yes, don’t go faster than you need to go in order to get the best fuel consumption, and if you need to go off-road, make sure your vehicle has good off-road performance (60+%).

One complication is that larger engines consume more fuel, but have better acceleration and have less strain at any given speed. If you’re routinely driving at 90+% of your safe speed, you may save fuel by using a larger engine. Alternately, if you’re routinely creeping along at only a few miles per hour, live a little you will probably gain efficiency by using a smaller engine.

4 Likes

Anyone know what the best armour for horses is? There isn’t any values in the menu and I’d like to keep them as safe as possible.

Can someone explain food rot to me? Is it fucked right now or what? I’ve had food jarred two days ago go rotten and food that was rotten become unrotten in the last 30 days of playing. I’ve already lost who knows how much food to this shit. It’s a bug, not a feature, right?

I can’t tell the exact stats of each armor, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it looks like superalloy armor is the best horse armor (I’m pretty sure that is unobtainable without cheating), followed by biosilicified chitin, then regular chitin armor.

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll have a look at those then.

What is the irradiation range of some uranium sludge on the road? Is 10 tiles sufficient? I would like to work on dismantling a car nearby.

Can a grenade breach a wall or metal door?

So I skipped about 1.4k posts in here but hopefully this one doesn’t have an answer yet. How can I lengthen the time when passing time? U know, when u touch and hold the screen in android version and the time pass a second and 5 in number pad on PCs and laptops.

You can use the | key to wait a while. Pressing that gives you a list of options on how long you’d like to wait.

You can also look through the keybindings if you’re looking for more things like |.

id like to my surroundings when i pass time. the | command have longer time than what I want tho so im leaning on for pass time manual. Hope there is a codevto change 1 second to at least 5

You can always manually interrupt waiting. Not sure what’s not working for you with “wait in 5 minutes increments, interrupt if needed”.

Never thought about it before, but “wait 5 minutes” was 50 turns when we had 6 second turns, now that covers a whopping 300 turns. It might be worth adding a “wait 1 minute” to the list to sort-of restore the old functionality.

1 Like

I’d say anything that "neigh"gates damage…

3 Likes

IDK if radioactive material has a radius like heat from fire, but you can check on the debug menu within the info sub menu, then the radiation level option.
Kind of had that same though with the waste sarcophagus but is only contained on the building, so maybe is the same for the slurry.

About the explosives, it depends of the amount of damage, i have tried fertilizers bombs for metal doors and one isnt enough, if you want to break in that way, is better to use a pickaxe/jackhammer

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I tried one grenade it did not work … BUT I wonder, do damages accumulate? If yes, then perhaps a 2nd grenade would have breached the wall?

Anyway, I used the most awesome trick I ever read on this forum. I fell a tree. Felling a tree within 3 tiles of a concrete wall and choosing the direction of the fall will reliably breaks a concrete wall :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. Works with roads too. I’ve used it to get rocks and rebar when push comes to shove. I once built a charcoal kiln entirely out of bits of asphalt.

Just wanted to control how much time it can pass before a monsters gets a block near me.

Is focus hardcapped at 162, or there’s something I’m missing?
cataclysm-tiles_2020_01_23_18_42_55_549