The Quick & Dirty Guide

I’ve noticed many people not being able to survive for longer then a few days or ones that would get killed by a z-dog or a moose even though they should be able to handle it.

So this is my attempt to enlighten you all with my meta knowledge.

The Start

Find a place with a lit console like a shelter or mine so you can read and dismantle rags or craft at night.
Lave flows can work as well, i’ve built makeshift shelters next to molten rock and i’ve even seen magma inside a house lol.

A secondary objective is to find a place with a fireplace/wood stove/brazier so you can light a fire inside without burning your house down.
Crafting a digging stick to dig a shallow pit outside the door or window will do as well in a pinch.
Burn a rag or skewer to utilize batch crafting since the fire doesn’t need to be on when you finish.

Get clothes, see if you can loot a backpack, trenchcoat/duster(lab coats are nice too) and cargo pants/shorts from somewhere, otherwise you’ll have to craft them later.

Dismantle rags and felt patches for thread and yarn respectively, leave the yarn/sinew/fiber on the ground for crafting and use the thread to load your wooden/bone needle or tailor/sewing kit.
Craft bandana’s till tailoring lvl 1, craft arm warmers till lvl 2(you need this for leather funnel), panties/briefs till lvl 3, boonie hat’s till lvl 4, then reinforce your equipment and grind up to lvl 5.

Get a decent knife with high butchering, preferably a hunting knife but a butcher knife is fine too and put it into your boot, a hatchet doubles as a hammer so that’s nice too.
Get a hammer(stone/makeshift is ok for now) and a screwdriver and dismantle every furniture or broken console you see for parts and lvl 1 construction, do the same for clothing and use the leather patches to craft a leather funnel and a waterskin(you need survival lvl 1, get it butchering or foraging underbrush quickly).
If you don’t have a screwdriver then just smash stuff instead of dismantling them, just be careful not to waste rare parts from electronics or ovens(or even lockers for that sheet metal).

Activate the leather funnel outside on the ground and drop the waterskin on it, you can use a sealed stomach/jug/jerrycan/gallon drum/wooden keg or whatever better container you have instead of the waterskin.
Then collect rainwater, you can safely drink rainwater or well water or water inside vehicles inside tanks, they are not contaminated.
You can transfer liquids from container to container(or dumping it on the ground like with jugs of rotten milk) using "U"nload, it’s nice to fill a canteen or waterskin from the container on the ground, just stand next to it.

Eat some food, eat the blue stuff first as that will rot with time, but try to keep it as long as possible so you can make vegetable sandwiches later when you can craft flour(with a quern) and make flatbread(although flatbread is filling on its own).
Eat & drink your cans of soda and food(you will need the cans later to make shitloads of batteries).

If you don’t have enough food lets continue on with weapons and hunting and foraging.
Craft a sling and cudgel, craft some pebbles for the sling from rocks.
See if you can kill some squirrels or other diminutive woodland creatures and check every shrub for eggs and wild vegetables, a single trip should gain you enough food to sustain your nicely for a few days up to a week.
If you get attacked by an aggressive enemy like a zombie/cougar/moose/bear then soften them up with the sling and then switch to your cudgel and lure them onto a shrub(you can set it on fire if you want) and then just attack(the cudgel has rapid strike/precise strike/block and should be able to kill a moose but maybe not a bear)
After a while you should have bashing lvl 2 and can craft a quarterstaff which can rapid strike/block (and later with niten ichi ryu style can do some special attacks).

Now you should have enough water and food to start crafting and reading.

Get a wrench & hacksaw and start dismantling broken cars to train mechanics, then dismantle the seats and the stuff you don’t need to get springs/rope/string/flashlights, you can dismantle seat>rope>string>1000 thread, get wrist watches from clocks lol and flashlights come loaded with 100 batteries!
At this time you might have enough electronics materials to craft a lightstrip, this should help if you don’t have a console with unlimited light.

Wear survivor runner packs and carry a duffel bag with you to loot places and then go back home, sometimes you can wear 2 duffel bags filled with loot albeit overburdened and slowly gaining pain or a single survivor duffel bag.

I might expand the guide based on feedback.

Personally for anyone that isn’t skilled enough yet to survive at a decent rate…

• DO !!!NOT!!! fight Moose or Bears. If you spot a Moose, then go around them in an arc. Same goes for Bears. But Moose in particular will FUCK YOU UP BADLY, they’re big mean and crazy fast/agile so if they want you dead you wont outrun them on flat terrain… So whatever you do, don’t go around pissing off Moose. Even experienced players know that you don’t want to mess with Moose unless you have a way to quickly kill them (a shotgun to the head)

Beasties you should avoid early on (and even later on): Moose(!!!), Bears(!!), Giant Bees (!!!), Cougars(!), Wolves(!/!!! (they’re dangerous in packs), Giant Wasp(!!), Giant Worms (!!), Soldier Ant (!!), Mi-Go’s(!!), Antlered Horrors (!!!), Fungaloids (!!*)

In effect, if you can try to avoid any sort of enemy because fighting is always dangerous even against ordinary zombies. If you get unlucky they’ll bite you and infect you, and at best you kill them and just get some crappy clothing. If you have to fight, fight on your terms, and always be prepared to turn tail and run for your life if the odds aren’t in your favour.

• If you start in a shelter, grab a rock from outside, wield it, smash down one(!) locker and craft a makeshift crowbar. This will help you open doors and some windows whilst making as minimal noise as possible, and you don’t need any skill to use it on doors (windows can get broken and make noise). It’s also a pretty useful bludgeon for the early game.

• Obstacles are your friend, use them as much as possible. This game revolves around ‘movement’, and moving over a bush/shrub takes more turns than it does moving over flat terrain. This means that if you can lure a zombie onto a bush, counter, or other sort of obstacle, they’ll be significantly slower and you’ll be able to often bludgeon them to death without them ever getting a shot off. Even when you’re not fighting, they are still your friends because when you’re being chased by a moose (or anything else that’s quick as heck), you can zig-zag through wooded areas and cause the chaser to fall behind because they path in a straight line over all the obstacles you’ve avoided.
    Additionally, if you have the ‘Parkour Expert’ skill, you can just run over obstacles as you would flat terrain, so you can fly over chairs, tables, counters whilst the zombies get slowed down.

Moose is overrated.i find bear more challenging but even he is managable in beging with proper equipment.with rags in starting shelter you can craft good enough clothes so you can reliably take on them.2xhoodies with bash protection of 5 and 2 balalclavas with hats give you engouh leverage to survive most dangers early game.even one hoodie is enough and i go with backpack for extra storage.all this can be crafted till night in first shelter.but for it you must disasemble strings not rags.rags shoudl not be dissasembled except in emergencies as they take too much time.use strings instead.

only one natural monster i fear in begging and that is giant wasp and bees as they are not easy to hit and with poison can demolish you when you are not experienced.

[quote=“survivornaginata, post:3, topic:11879”]Moose is overrated.i find bear more challenging but even he is managable in beging with proper equipment.with rags in starting shelter you can craft good enough clothes so you can reliably take on them.2xhoodies with bash protection of 5 and 2 balalclavas with hats give you engouh leverage to survive most dangers early game.even one hoodie is enough and i go with backpack for extra storage.all this can be crafted till night in first shelter.but for it you must disasemble strings not rags.rags shoudl not be dissasembled except in emergencies as they take too much time.use strings instead.

only one natural monster i fear in begging and that is giant wasp and bees as they are not easy to hit and with poison can demolish you when you are not experienced.[/quote]

The problem with moose over bears is speed. If you aren’t prepared for serious melee combat, you might be able to escape a bear, but once a moose is on you, it’s VERY unlikely that you can get away, and they are strong enough to annihilate an unprepared character.

I do agree on the on the wasp/bee thing, though - they are worse because they are so much harder to hit (especially if you’re at all encumbered) AND they are immune to “traps” (which includes fire!) since they fly. I’ve managed to survive the early game surprise moose by starting a fire under it 2 or three times so that it flees from me, but getting a bee on you early, before you can hit them? You can try throwing stuff at them, but… yeah, you’re dead.

Once I saw a shocker, a spitter, and a brute. I drank some cola and ran to a wasp. Those three met the wasp, and all died. Seeing the wasp on : blood, I went to finish it off. Before I reached it, it killed a moose and a zombie bear.

Wasps are buffed compared to older versions, it seems, but fear not. If you can use a door to seperate yourself youll be fine. If you wander into one in the dark than you’re kind of SOL, but otherwise they are good distractions for you.

I suspect that sooner or later they will be nerfed again and/or given more numbers/respawn and also zombie poison that stops reviving. I long for the day where I can make zombie-eaters.

Wasps can also go at least 15 mph, One kept up with me on a bike.