The future of cataclysm dda

I’m curious about the future of cataclysm dda like will this game ever have be “complete” like maybe a house finished after years of hard work with nothing else to add other then the furniture(mods)?

There is always something to be done. The development will continue as long as there are people interested in bringing something new or fixing something old in this game.

but what the limit when it come to people interest and when it becomes boring

What do you mean by limit? This project is kind of a hobby. Kevin works on this project for more than 5 years with different speef. Some people put a bunch of huge PRs and then disappear for months or even years. Every person is different in their dedication and spare time.

I won’t be wrong if I say there won’t be such thing as “Cataclysm DDA had stopped to accept new additions”. And even if all of current project participants would somehow lost interest - anyone could fork and continue from where others stopped. It is licensed as CC BY-SA and open-sourced too.

Something that’s constantly evolving rarely becomes permanently boring.

I can’t speak for the game developers, I’m just a random player, but I hope that Cataclysm will continue to be developed. Angband and Nethack are still updated with semi-frequency. I’d like to think that 20 years from now there’ll still be patches and occasional new content for Cata, even if they’re not as frequent as they are now.

What I mean is like a ultimate lifeform

Will it ever be finished or complete? Probably not. Being open source there’s a good chance it will be sporadocally updated until the end of time or something definitively better comes along.

Current experimental version is ultimate lifeform - ever evolving and (rapdly) changing.

Yea game can sometimes get boring

I see no end of features I want to add.
Right now I’m focusing on expanding the combat system, making the world not immediately next to the player more lively, and expanding the area the game keeps updated near the player.
In the future I want to complete 3d interactivity, improve monster ai, support multi-tile monsters, work on npc ai, improve map generation, import real map data into the game, add working npc factions, and many other things.
A number of these features I’m offhandedly mentioning are multi-month projects, so just what I’ve listed is going to keep me busy for many years.

9 Likes

Good luck on your long journey!

1 Like

If only it was possible to magically add all that inevitably awesome content all at once. But alas, even if we were to make a true AI to do the work for us, C:DDA is ever expanding, and all the content you want to add now could be considered small to what the future holds.

1 Like

Well technically it can be worked on all at once. The problem is that Kevin doesn’t have a paid full time team to do all the stuff we want done.

So unless anyone generously donates 250k so he can hire a team. The game moves as fast as he does and the few devs that chime in once in awhile.

Kevin: You don’t do this full time right? I don’t mean to get personal. I’m just asking if this is your full time job?

Where would he get the money to do this full-time? The occasional 5$ bounty someone puts on Github?

I’m not sure the man even sleeps with the amount of effort he puts in this game.

I work full time as a software engineer at Amazon.com, I’m married and have a two year old.
So yea, you’re even more correct than you thought. On a typical week I have about 10 hours of time in front of my laptop to do dda stuff, though I sneak in about that much again on my phone reading emails and posting on the forums.
That might grow a bit as kiddo ages and gets more autonomous, but it’s pretty limited right now.

Interesting =)

Hope you and your fam are well. Maybe the kid will get all nerdified and help make the coding go faster lol

–No, he/she must be a geek! And ideally grow up to work with/next to/for Geek Squad. The great power of what is geek is insurmountable compared to that which is nerd. The great wonder of geek is only rivaled by that of God and Aspergers. I am a geek with Aspergers, thus, I am vastly superior to those cookie-cutter-clones you’ll see wandering the streets thinking that they are better. Yet, they do not understand some important fundamental facts of humanity:
-Everyone is different. Thus, to be normal, you must be unique.
-Brain before brawn; There can be no sword without the man or woman who thought of it in the first place.
-There is no point in shunning another being for his or her maladies and misfortunes, since you could have easily taken that place, and the loss of an arm or sight can happen to you later in life as well.
-There is no perfect, but rather there is the perception of such; One may think something to be perfect as it is, another may think otherwise.
-Geeks are, by definition, better than nerds. As to why, only God can say.

We must teach our young things such as this, and hope that tomorrow will be a better future with people less often thinking that someone else choosing suicide is their fault, when that is literally impossible. And also that suicide is a foolish decision to make, as it is a very rare case that ones life cannot get better.

I read ‘Greeks’ instead of ‘geeks’ and thought: what a racist post!

2 Likes

Another fundamental fact of humanity is that racists, sexists, and people of that ilk must be purged by righteous fire. Although I feel like I should mention that this is rather off topic and we should probably either make a new thread or stop talking. I also have no clue in the slightest of what we should dub said thread.

Nothing wrong with hating others. Having a reason is fine. Not having a reason is the culprit. Simply hating some other or group as long as there is reason to makes more sense outside of being politically correct than you would want to admit.

On that note. Go to youtube and type this in and enjoy!
Professor Elemental : all in together