~The Flesh Forest~

Pretty similar to Terraria. The “Flesh Forest” is a new biome with odd creatures in it like WTF!

wow this idea is getting support… but sadly my knowledge of JSON is still on “items adding” level…

but nonetheless this is awesome… can’t wait to see the prototype.

1 Like

Egg Sac = immobile / speed = 0
“if” death = replace graphic of live mob with dead mob and spawn x(where x is the random critters, or set amount)

I don’t code. But I kinda grasp the concept of how to think to program in a path. Not sure if this helps or makes it more confusing. I dig the tree thing and the Bash damage idea that Invalid mentions. Grabbing can be strength based and it could hold you tight enough to hurt or a punch or a pull apart attack or something. The Taken faction idea seems reasonable. Have them get X damage and then Turn them into the Taken faction?

Creeper mutations. Hmmm. Ok. I only had thought of an organ of regeneration. But I think that could be a little extra perk to getting your ass handed to you lol

Haven’t looked at Terraria since…I dunno a few years now. If the idea is not new. I’ve seen it in Carpeter’s The Thing film and from there the story was Who Goes There? I believe. So the idea seems pretty old. I just wanted to make all those ideas into one big creature thing that makes you $h!t your pants when you explore a basement and find yourself in a monster belly lol
(or a messed up forest space)

1 Like

Twisted. I like it. Poor Maxwell =/
(wait…are YOU Maxwell’s ghost? 0_0)

Anyway. There is a way around the beast feeling to much pain. The beast Forest mob could simply have no pain receptors or have them and not be as acute enough to be sent into agony. But this doesn’t expressly mean the original creature before it was absorbed is completely gone…MUWAHAHAHahahahahaaaaaa…cough cough >_>
(the mind of the creature before it was absorbed…maybe they say stuff or bark if it were a dog? I dunno)

eggs sacks are better to be monsters with very limited vision that have a suicide “explosion” attack that comes in three variants - spawning swarms, infant spooders or releasing toxic contents

annelids i think must work like fungal spores, when they attack a creature it turns into a corrupted/controlled variant

creep itself must be not limited to forests, homes, mails, labs, all make perfect place for it, just imagine getting a basement downstair for ez loot and find this

biology warning

1 Like

Reminds me of zarnovitchs circus from Montreal by night. A tzim vamp

Well, The Creeper idea is actually part of the beast. Really difficult to kill and if the basement is small. You will have greater difficulty in using explosives to kill it :wink:

You would have to run to one end of the basement to the other after planting an explosive to kill it. Hope it won’t catch the place on fire and kill your character trying to kill this creature. The regeneration parts of the Creeper are from the Flesh Forest Beast. Perhaps it cannot leave the area it resides in because we can say it is attached to an umbilical cord? =D

(nice image of System Shock)

Use to be really big into White Wolf. Partially why I like this idea. I really liked their stuff. Sold all my books except one. Eternal Hearts. Decent and pervy short story :wink:
(with pictures…gotta dig the pervy pictures lol)

Ahhhh yes. Sasha vykos…burned into my young mind forever

regen benefits must not overweight taking damage, maybe a heal burst when a nearby ally unit dies to make their tactics about swarming so bringing a flamer would be actual idea

en combat they better have more ways for ambush scenario like eggs only in corners to prevent erupting them without taking damage, this includes invisible arachnids/zeds that simply wait until you damage them or come closer, ss2 was pretty rich on panic moments like a trapped sam console that on activating releases 3 spiders around you

human enemies must have names on them in manner of that shocker zombie in refugee center quest for better effect, bonus if they would speak irrational crap

non-gibbed/critted mobs on death may release a annelid

hidden/hibernating annelids that are invisible, mainly on bodies or furniture for more panic effect

1 Like

Also make sure that flesh forest enemies never leave their overmap territory, and prevent spawning too much fleshies in that area.

So… What happens to the non-biological stuff like rocks and guns? do they just “disappear”? OR sinks underneath the forest?

Nope. Those stay where they are and if it could be programmed similar to the Fungus/Mycoid mob behavior. A “Flesh” variant could grow over those objects.Not much different really. Except a different faction and instead of white like fungus. It is a pinkish and brownish hue.

I also imagine creatures similar to these guys / TURN THE VOLUME DOWN, sorry I cannot change this as it isn’t my video.

Silent Hill film clip

The flesh is dirty-ish. Instead of spore clouds dropping and proliferating fungus floor growth. The flesh can just creep around the general area around the anus cave(sorry couldn’t resist this idea lol).

Would the creatures really need to be culled though? What would the reason be? Last I recall. Mycoids can travel just about everywhere without limitation. Destroying everything in their path. I imagine the Flesh would do something similar. I tend to play around these areas. I run like hell as a noob and light them all on fire when I have moderate skill and resources =D

I really disagree with you on this part. None of the creatures should be invisible. That would defeat the point of egg bursting sacs.
New idea: Egg Sac has proximity timer(x turns before sac bursts open; similar to revive proximity of reviving zombies). Egg sacs however, may be destroyed by fire if you can light them before they burst open. How about this for a balance compromise?

Bringing a flame thrower in a confined area seems like a really bad idea. For getting a regeneration body organ and small mutation limbs is worth the difficulty of killing the Creeper. You can use this to heal 25-45% of your character damage and mend broken limbs. 25% = cured organ / 45% fresh(before rotting). If you carry this and eat it in a future battle. This makes the battle with the Creeper balanced without being over powered.

…plus you may have to use explosives or a .50cal or many shotgun slugs. Something powerful = powerful benefit item =D

Also, lighting the Creeper on fire may lead to “Scorched Creeper” = the cooked body is beyond salvaging. Tough luck friend lol

Containment Breach

2 Likes

Jesus, that is some good stuff. Read all 6 installments.

I’m gonna bring up my suggestions in a more ‘artistic’ format. Seems like a fitting idea to me.
I didn’t read everything since that’s a lot to read in one sitting.

Cataclysm Research Notes - Flesh Lands
I came across a strange, fleshy land today. The very ground is made of skin, muscle, and sinew. While disgusting, digging up this ‘dirt’ would provide an infinite source of food in case of an emergency. But it’ll somehow need to be cleansed first.
There are some strange pits scattered about. I dare not go to close, as they are lined with seemingly hundreds of crooked teeth. I hope to never find out whether this truly is a mouth or not.
I just barely managed to avoid some odd spiders too. I would have fallen into their trap myself if it wasn’t for another survivor. A slight change in the ground hides spiders made of a thousand eyes and coated in human bones. Just before their screams fainted away, I saw yellow-green pustules inside. I can only guess that to be the spider’s eggs.
The occasional pile of bones mark the territory of Puss Bears, as I’ve come to call them. On them are pimple-like objects that, when ruptured, explode out in acidic puss.
There are many ‘trees’ about, covered in various limbs. They tried to grab me earlier, thank goodness I escaped.
Another survivor managed to pick some strange fruits from the trees. They supposedly have great healing properties, but taste like vomit. If you grind them up, you can put them in bandage, that can slowly heal a shattered bone. Although the process is more efficient, it is also slower.

1 Like

I like this one :slight_smile:
Generally because what’s inside that pit is the thing that made me interested to come down (ffs, not to fall for death, but to discover more)