Temperature insanity

Just had my character wait 24 hours inside of the starting shelter in spring.

End Result:
Cold Head!
Chilly Arm
Chilly Arm
Chilly Leg
Chilly Leg
Hot Head!
hot Arm!
Hot Arm!
Hot Torso!
Cold Torso!

Highest Temperature: 15C
lowest temperature: -13C

There were too many frostbite messages to count, so I can’t really give an accurate number of them, so lets just go with “a lot”.

the core issue still seems to be that Spring is still incredibly cold, and autumn is just as hot as summer.

Just had my character wait 24 hours inside of the starting shelter in spring.

End Result:
Cold Head!
Chilly Arm
Chilly Arm
Chilly Leg
Chilly Leg
Hot Head!
hot Arm!
Hot Arm!
Hot Torso!
Cold Torso!

Highest Temperature: 15C
lowest temperature: -13C

There were too many frostbite messages to count, so I can’t really give an accurate number of them, so lets just go with “a lot”.

the core issue still seems to be that Spring is still incredibly cold, and autumn is just as hot as summer.[/quote]

Huh. Possible format-conversion issue, since I tested in Fahrenheit, had 21F-64F, and only ever encountered Chilly bodyparts. Sleeping didn’t seem to have any substantial issues; slept underground using a rollmat and unfolded emergency blanket. (Was a Football Player with pants and briefs torn up by a moose; otherwise in starting gear.)

Daidalon, you had a hot and a cold torso at the same time? And chilly arm repeated itself? Did you just stand in the shelter for one day, or more? I might try and take a crack at this tomorrow.

The hot was the temperature flux thing kevin added (i’m so cold I’m boiling… thing).

I literally moved my character to a bench next to the npc and waited for 24 hours. By the time the npc died to a moose outside, I already had the working of frostbite and sever hypothermia.

Seriously, guys, if you don’t have time for this, can you point me to a guide to getting this to correclty compile for windows 8.1? I’m out of practice with non-shady c++, but I could probably hammer out a patch if the error vomit would go away.

Arm and leg messages are doubled since the change that separated left and right limbs.

As for frostbite, yeah, message spam. I got the same in 2 days - highest temp 16 C, lowest -3 C, and now I’m frostbitten everywhere.

There’s an issue I am working on where getting a disease (frostbite) on a body part that you’re not supposed to makes you get the next disease on the list. Also, frostbite was supposed to set in after 2 hours, it was setting in after 0.2 hours. Oops :smiley: I am also fixing the message spam and anything else I notice!

edit: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/8457

Those are the things I’ve fixed. What’s next?? :smiley:

The next, and most annoying, part of this bug is the insanely low temperatures in spring, and the ridiculously high temperatures in autumn and summer.

That bit about the extent I went to be comfortable in these temperatures was NOT a joke. I did indeed like a character on fire while he wore an emergency blanket, and I did spend a summer in game of my character wearing nothing at all. At neither point was my character in the comfortable range for more than a few in game hour.

Strange, i didn’t get anything THAT extreme. The only thing i noticed is below-freezing temperatures all summer, what is not supposed to happen according to the guy (sorry, i don’t remember the nickname), who reworked weather patterns. My character never taken off his army jacket and long underwear top.

As soon as i will have at least some free time I’ll continue my testing on the subject.

Ten or fifteen below zer0 during night, and those exact figures above zer0 when the sun comes out. I’m (also) playing an experimental build; and I didn’t have any overheating issues mainly due to the springtime setting. It’s mostly raining and drizzling, with a few thunderstorms. I like how it (naturally) lowers the temperature treshold.
However, I just HATE the game won’t let me plant any seeds early on, especially during rainy season. It’s common knowledge that sprouts need few sunny hours, but lots of water and frost harms them only if it forms in the soil (crystals of ice are formed during night) - which is, to my knowledge, just about 10 degrees below zero air temper.
Yet another nuisance is having frostbites on your face throughout the day, because you can’t put your head under the blanket. It’s a simple solution for a common problem and I can’t perceive any point in favor of one bodypart being left unprotected.

The only things that can protect the face at all are a scarf(s) and a balaclava. Its surprisingly limited, honestly.

So, I just downloaded and started up the latest version.

Its been one night of me sleeping on a rollmat with a cloak on the same tile.

Results for this spring:

Highest temp: 12C
Lowest temp: -13C

My character sheet says both arms are frostbitten (they have 75 warmth each), and I’m being constantly spammed about hand frostbite. Also, I have the fully on Hot Head! (not the one about frost bite), as well as chilly head.

[quote=“Daidalon, post:31, topic:6865”]So, I just downloaded and started up the latest version.

Its been one night of me sleeping on a rollmat with a cloak on the same tile.

Results for this spring:

Highest temp: 12C
Lowest temp: 13C

My character sheet says both arms are frostbitten (they have 75 warmth each), and I’m being constantly spammed about hand frostbite. Also, I have the fully on Hot Head! (not the one about frost bite), as well as chilly head.[/quote]

Uh, your highest is lower than your lowest there. I’m not sure whether high/low reflects bodytemp or it’s a typo.

And I’ve seen a 30-degree shift in Fahrenheit temps in my tests, so there’s gotta be a problem with the conversion. Celsius isn’t THAT coarser than Fahrenheit.

the lowest was -13.

Freshly merged a pile of fixes. During testing, I sat around in the evac shelter (staying fed/hydrated/non-Tired) for 48 hours; was wearing a suit and dress shoes, only ever got Chilly. Temps fluctuated between -3C and 16C.

Sounds cool, I’ll give it a quick spin and see how it goes.

I can confirm that, at least for the time being, Spring is not frozen, summer is brutally hot but being naked is fine (don’t wear a trenchcoat unless you wanna die), autumn is actually cold, and winter kills with frostbite when you’re naked (but a raging fire is enough to be fine).

Danke guys, however, I’m going to keep asking this, where is a working guide to getting cata tiles to compile on windows 8.1?

You’re the second person to saying they got their arms frostbitten. That’s not a thing in the game, I only coded hands/face/feet to get frostbite. Other than that, the bugs you mention should be fixed! :smiley:

The game could stand to have more face warmth, I agree. “Face wraps” or something. Also, blankts should probably cover all body parts. I also wondered if beds should spawn with blankets on them, and not deconstruct into sheets any more.

[quote=“Shoes, post:37, topic:6865”]
The game could stand to have more face warmth, I agree. “Face wraps” or something. Also, blankts should probably cover all body parts. I also wondered if beds should spawn with blankets on them, and not deconstruct into sheets any more.[/quote]

I approve of beds spawning with blankets–probably 15-20% chance per, though, as evacuating folks might well have grabbed 'em on their way out. Free blanket on every bed is an excellent source of rags/thread/string etc.

I was just going to look into the cold summer issue, but I don’t remember if I downloaded the savefile and the link is dead now.
Can you reupload it or give proper reproduction steps?
I still can’t reproduce freezing temps in summer in experimentals.

The freezing temps in summer no longer occur, though they happen every night in every other season. You can test this by just waiting for 24 hours.