Tearing down curtain renders window unopenable

Noticed in the current windows console version (f77cb1c):
If you examine a window and opt to tear down the curtains, the window itself loses the ability to be opened.

i think there’s a PR that addresses half the problem, needs a little more work to finish it up.

Figured I’d just bump this instead of making a new thread – this bug still exists in Experimental Build 0.A-2076.

Or you could write up and PR the intermediate stage of window construction: making an openable one w/o curtains. >_<

Or you could write up and PR the intermediate stage of window construction: making an openable one w/o curtains. >_<[/quote]

I don’t understand, are you asking me to fix the issue myself? I’m afraid my programming knowledge doesn’t permit that. Not sure what “PR” stands for. All I’m doing here is submitting a bug report – which is the listed function of this forum. Not sure why you feel the need to give me an attitude, but whatever.

If you were constantly prodded about what people want implemented in a project, you probably would be peeved like KA101 tends to be. Don’t be offended, but understand that progress on Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead goes at the pace that community members make it go - that is, if you want anything implemented, you are going to have to submit a pull request that essentially asks your code to be merged into the main repository. Otherwise, all you can do is hope that someone gets around to doing it.

Another note: it does not necessarily require a “certain level” of programming knowledge to help out and contribute. Just some patience and time is all you really need - you can easily add new items and recipes using JSON, and I’m certain given enough time looking at the project code on GitHub, you could figure out how to code the intermediate stage of window construction.

Or you could write up and PR the intermediate stage of window construction: making an openable one w/o curtains. >_<[/quote]

I don’t understand, are you asking me to fix the issue myself? I’m afraid my programming knowledge doesn’t permit that. Not sure what “PR” stands for. All I’m doing here is submitting a bug report – which is the listed function of this forum. Not sure why you feel the need to give me an attitude, but whatever.[/quote]

Since Ka is a main developer (and a dear friend to me), expect snapping from time to time from the devs. Coding is hard, outside life is hard, and Ka might have been having a bad day or something.

In your words, but whatever, right?

NINJAED BY SAGE WTF

[quote=“sagethor, post:6, topic:6406”]If you were constantly prodded about what people want implemented in a project, you probably would be peeved like KA101 tends to be. Don’t be offended, but understand that progress on Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead goes at the pace that community members make it go - that is, if you want anything implemented, you are going to have to submit a pull request that essentially asks your code to be merged into the main repository. Otherwise, all you can do is hope that someone gets around to doing it.

Another note: it does not necessarily require a “certain level” of programming knowledge to help out and contribute. Just some patience and time is all you really need - you can easily add new items and recipes using JSON, and I’m certain given enough time looking at the project code on GitHub, you could figure out how to code the intermediate stage of window construction.[/quote]

This.

What it needs is another (several) points written in the construction.json file. MisterFox already PR’d the terrain asset.

So yeah. “The bug’s still there”, absent us asking about it (say, if we merge a fix), isn’t helpful. More information on it can be helpful, but this wasn’t hugely informative.

So you prefer a new thread to a bump? Its the same problems its there two three months later, so someone bumped to say its still there and gave a recent experimental as the example. As someone whose ISP won’t allow access to github I can see how someone would not be up to date on issues like this one. So how about the customary, thanks but its been reported. I mean make people scared to report bugs and where are we then? From what I read most of the people putting in pull request don’t have time to code and play so who’s to say it hasn’t been supposedly fixed but in practice isn’t?

I don’t see any harping or consistent and repeated bug reports from megagenesis so why the hate?

No one wants to scare people from reporting bugs. But bumping already acknowledged bug report is generally unnecessary, unless you have some new info to add.

It was acknowledged the same day it was posted, two months ago, with just a saying that it was supposedly fixed. Since there was nothing after the supposed fix for so long was it better to bump the thread to report two months later it wasn’t fixed or start a new thread with “hey this was reported but it was never fixed and it was said to be in the works but its still happening?”

1. I am not saying which variant is better, I am just saying that it is generally unnecessary.
  2. Kevin said he thinks there is PR which fixes half the problem and it needs some more work, not that it is fixed.
  3. Nobody should expect anything to be fixed in any timeframe unless it is said it will.

This is not paid software with contract where developers are obliged to make a fix in given time. Order and priority given to each issue is up to developers, if none of them want to work on this issue, that is up to them. Anyone who feels that it needs to be addressed now, can make the fix himself, as KA101 pointed out.

That said, I don’t think bump is a big deal, if it is done once and in non-demanding fashion.

[quote=“Robik, post:12, topic:6406”]
That said, I don’t think bump is a big deal, if it is done once and in non-demanding fashion.[/quote]

Exactly, if its still a problem thank you for reminding us/them. I certainly don’t expect anything fixed right away or in any paticular order. But to say a month ago a fix is being pulled, to remind someone that said thing is still not fixed seems like a reminder, not an unnecessary post. And I’m tired of “newbs” being flamed for simple stuff. Our whole community is based on new players and I’ve seen a steady lean towards “oh you didn’t read the last 100 post so you get told” attitude.

Not quite sure why this thread suddenly exploded into replies. Hell, if we spent less time making replies and more time working on the PR we’d have this done. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s very simple: I found a bug within the game. I used the forum’s search function as well as Google, and found that the only thread on this issue was three months old with only one reply. Finding no other discussion of the issue, and reasoning that this is the “bug reports” forum after all, I decided to bump the thread in an attempt to return it to active discussion.

Apparently it was incorrect to do so. Lesson learned, I’ll not submit bug reports anymore. I’ve been playing Cataclysm for nearly two years, since before “Dark Days Ahead” was even part of the title, and for some reason I’ve always avoided getting involved in the community. I guess I should have stuck to my instincts. Cheers.

[quote=“MegaGenesis, post:15, topic:6406”]It’s very simple: I found a bug within the game. I used the forum’s search function as well as Google, and found that the only thread on this issue was three months old with only one reply. Finding no other discussion of the issue, and reasoning that this is the “bug reports” forum after all, I decided to bump the thread in an attempt to return it to active discussion.

Apparently it was incorrect to do so. Lesson learned <—[/quote]

See the arrow? That is the place where your post should end if you didn’t want to look like crybaby. Cheers.

Also, this is still open issue, so no worries, it didn’t get lost. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/8165
You can find the link via Google http://www.google.com/search?q=cataclysm+dda+curtain

It occurs to me that adding another stage to the window construction sequence will make renovating certain buildings more difficult- mansions in particular come to mind. I mean they spawn with unopenable windows, so to add curtains will now be 2 construction stages rather than the existing one; this means more time, and presumably more materials required (unless the intention is to scale back the time required for adding curtains when this is done?).

So, once this has been implemented, could the mansion (and other buildings affected by this) windows be made to spawn openable but uncurtained please?