Taking suggestions for new diseases

I could absolutely see gating realistic diseases behind a “realistic diseases” mod, possibly even off by default, but I also think there’s sufficient interest to make it worthwhile. (yea, yea, I need to make diseases moddable, I know)

In general, I think adding some irritants rather than killers is a good idea. Actually, a mix of irritants and killers is ideal: getting a stye is annoying, but are you prepared to take your antibiotics to clear it up, knowing that more serious perils lurk? Ditto athlete’s foot and fungicide.

Gingivitis, toothache, and dental problems would require implementing toothpaste, toothbrushes, and floss (all of which can be improvised), but mouth disease is a notable omission.

Kuru seems like something that could become a real problem with a zombie apocalypse. It is highly contagious between species, so bestial zeds could also be vectors…

why do not make motion sickness maybe this will be trait efect will be like this:
morale hit bigger speed = bigger unhappiness
chance to threw up if speed is higher than 40 km/h
if plater is in sealed car (walls and windshields everywhere) is higher chance to threw up (less fresh air)
gasoline engie will increase chance to threw up too and stack with sealed car debuff
weak stomach increase chance too but just after exiting vehicle player still can threw up

player will be warned before acident by comunication “you feel weak” or something like that and nexit big drop in morale player need to stop moving for 5 minutes and if car is sealed move outside too after waiting these 5 minutes all negative morale from motion sicknes will disapear

[quote=“Arek_PL, post:44, topic:6038”]why do not make motion sickness maybe this will be trait efect will be like this:
morale hit bigger speed = bigger unhappiness
chance to threw up if speed is higher than 40 km/h
if plater is in sealed car (walls and windshields everywhere) is higher chance to threw up (less fresh air)
gasoline engie will increase chance to threw up too and stack with sealed car debuff
weak stomach increase chance too but just after exiting vehicle player still can threw up

player will be warned before acident by comunication “you feel weak” or something like that and nexit big drop in morale player need to stop moving for 5 minutes and if car is sealed move outside too after waiting these 5 minutes all negative morale from motion sicknes will disapear[/quote]
I like. Mutations could add to it by making you feel ill when thrown or falling or in air pressure extremes, such as in deep facilities or strong weather systems or high buildings, which would have all manner of serious issues if their air-conditioning wasn’t working…
Another relevant thing would be open windows. Perhaps adding only partial weather protection when open. You are still getting damp, but definitely not being directly rained on when a window is open. This could also be applied to unsealed vehicles with a roof, more so if, perhaps, the roof were to extend beyond the player’s tile. This also raises the issue of air deflection, a motorcycle with a well-designed windscreen should be able to, when above certain speeds, keep a rider largely protected from weather, by pulling the air from below and pushing away what is falling from above…

Maybe a full continuum of organ disease.

[ul][li]Lung disease[/li][/ul]

Caused by excess amounts of smoked drugs. Gives you asthma.

[ul][li]Heart disease[/li][/ul]

Caused by insufficient amounts of salt or excessive quantities of junk food. Makes you go unconscious when running away from zombies for long periods of time.

[ul][li]Liver disease[/li][/ul]

Caused by excessive consumption of tylenol and alcohol. Makes you heal slower and reduces your overall health. Detected by yellowing of skin.

[ul][li]Kidney disease[/li][/ul]

Caused by excessive thirst. Makes it so that you get less sleep than normal by sleeping, and if you fall unconscious due to lack of sleep from this, it kills you.

[ul][li]Pancreas[/li][/ul]

Causes the diabetes we’ve already mentioned.
[/list]

Atrophy: If you do not leave your house for six months, then your physical stats get penalised…

I like the idea of genetically modified parasites/bacteria/viri that increase stats for a short time. Maybe even have the player able to use a switch and swap system of benefits and disabilities on their Buff Sick[sup]tm[/sup] to create their ideal infection!

What about Headaches and Migraines? Both could be easily represented as a pain-based effect. Headaches seems like the sort of thing that could crop up with poor nutrition and diet, and could be irritating without being debilitating (although having painkillers handy for it would probably be a good call), and could also be inflicted by the environment or certain attacks. Migraines would basically be a headache’s bigger brother, inflicting heavier pain along with perhaps nausea and reduced perception, with a duration lasting anywhere from 12-72 hours; they’d probably only be acquired either by the attacks or effects of certain monsters (such as getting the evil eye from a Flaming Eye), or by a trait which would cause them periodically (some environmental effects might cause it as well, but I’m not far enough in the game to suggest specifics).

Viral good fortune.

Hope it’s ok to bump this thread again.

How about joint pain and atrophy (temporary strength loss) as chance conditions when you have low health.

While new threads are probably preferred, effects.json has since been made. Might come in handy re-visiting this topic, considering that.

Is there a way for diseases to temporarily (until healed or cured) limit the max health a body part can have? I could see some diseases not disabling you from work, but leaving you very fragile in this way. It might go a long way in mimicking bugs where you’re really quite alright sitting and reading, but risk overdoing it just trying to go outside for a walk. Heavens forbid you run into something normally manageable with what amounts to a bodily glass jaw trait.

Not sure what disease could benefit from such a form of frailty, but it’d be a different learning curve from what we have already.