Suggestion: Bullets

Hello, everyone. This is my first thread, so let me just begin by saying that I dearly admire the work that is being done by the developers of this amazing game, as well as that of every other contributor. Communities like these honestly warm my heart (which is a rare thing in the apocalypse).

Moving away from the ooey-gooeyness, I do want to open my appearance here on the forums with a suggestion: realistic field medicine, specifically with bullets. It seems simple to me, and maybe it has been mentioned before, but I would really love to see bullets get stuck inside of your @, and have to be removed with a high skill in first aid. Or even implement a new skill called ‘Field Medicine.’

Just a quick thought. I’m now headed over to the kickstarter page to pledge you all a hefty sum of $20.00. Ha. If I could afford to give more, I would. Truly. This is a much deserved game, and I will be doing my best to spread word of its greatness.

Take care, all.

I my self have been pushing for a more realistic medical system right now we just have magical health points that go down from any sort of damage (got to love healing my damaged lungs from smoke inhalation using bandages :P) however the most recent big plans by the core devs is for combat to greatly improved so I doubt we will see anything for a while.

Adding a ‘Field Medicine’ skill would be redundant, but I do like this! Pulling things out of your body with low first aid skill would likely cause a fair amount of damage and no small amount of pain. I mean, it probably would cause a little of each no matter how high your skill was. But you’d be a lot better off letting your doctor buddy remove stuck-in objects then simply tearing it out and hoping for the best.

Problem: NPCs still buggy. :-/

Another quick thought: listing the bullet lodged in whatever part of your hero’s body as a disease ( shrapnel, even), along with whatever serious stat penalties. Personally, I haven’t taken a long gander at the code, but being a programmer myself, I feel that this feature shouldn’t be too difficult to implement. At the same time though, I have never seen this in a game before, so maybe there is a reason for that.

Well, that would be neat. Bullet could either fly clean through some bodypart, end up in flesh, or in worse case, hit a bone and render limb harder to use for some time, or cut a vein and cause bleeding. Same damage could be applied to melee, breaking bones, deafening blows on ears, blinding shots on one or both eyes causing perception going down, etc… This sounds like fun, especially when npcs get fixed and working in world as bandits and stuff.

Problem: NPCs still buggy. :-/[/quote]
Player gets shot in the leg,
asks NPC for help,
NPC says Sure
NPC Bugs out,
removes players eyes.

Problem: NPCs still buggy. :-/[/quote]
Player gets shot in the leg,
asks NPC for help,
NPC says Sure
NPC Bugs out,
removes players eyes.[/quote]

Nethack has blindedness and stuff like that. I’m a little disappointed I immediately forget my surroundings when it gets dark, instead of them appearing as I last saw them. What would be more fun is a key-combo which lets you ‘snapshot’ your surroundings, and degrades to ‘unseen’ over time based on your intelligence and perception.

yea, that’d be cool. As pointed out, NPCs would be the main source of this, but don’t forget turrests and other robits.

Also other enemies might have spines or something that you’d need to extract in the same way.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:9, topic:2192”]yea, that’d be cool. As pointed out, NPCs would be the main source of this, but don’t forget turrests and other robits.

Also other enemies might have spines or something that you’d need to extract in the same way.[/quote]

It’d help to have critters able to retreat, too. Otherwise, Spines/bleeding/infection and other persistent-damage become/stay one-sided: it drains player resources when critters inflict them on the player, but…maybe…kills the critter one turn faster if the player manages to inflict them on a critter. That can get annoying.

Tameness, blindedness, etc would be fun, especially when sound is more fleshed out. A bakery could have cakes/pies you can throw like Nethack to blind things. Turrets could either go into a sound-based detection mod or just fire crazily if blinded, most enemies would stagger around, blobs would gain health, you’d get a morale penalty from blinding a flaming eye.