Diabetes and other suggestions

a post on the cdda subreddit brought up the idea of having quadriplegic as a bad trait(which if it could be added would add and an amazing challenge.) This got me thinking, what about having diabetic as a bad trait. your character would start with insulin and related pills needed.

The character would have to take before eating or maybe take once when you wake and once when you go to bed. Could also add the chance of sugar spiking or dropping(like the asthma attacks)

Human waste and bowel movements
hear me out lol.
striving for realism , at some point in the cataclysm your hero is gonna have to take a moment to relive themselves. toilets would be best option but you would need to make sure the house was clear. or if you prefer all natural you can dig a pit do your business and fill it up. Also say you eat something rotten… it can make you vomit or poop yourself. With crap in your undies you either find a quick change or go commando, or don’t change and risk the zombies and other things smelling you.

Urine
it can be filtered in a worst case scenario to drink. it would be disgusting but it would keep you from dehydrating. Could also use it to lure enemies away.

Sewing kit, needles, and thread should be used as a way to stitch wounds.

character with very high medical and fabrication skills would be able to craft body modifications. for ex: character steps on a land mine and blows his leg off. once you get the bleeding to stop and you get the materials you should be able to fashion yourself a fake leg(out of heavy stick metal, etc.

another example on the extreme end of the spectrum. your character could construct spikes and secure them to the bones in the hands(wolverine) it would be extremely painful and risky. And it would require lots of skills and etc.

Pets
it would be cool if you could tame the dogs, and other regular wildlife. use chains to secure them to your place of residence or have them in the vehicle with you. or if the situation arises kill and butcher them for meat.(Animal breeding would be awesome and provide with decent food supply)

There should be a net type trap that zombies and players can get caught in. if a zombie get caught it would be cool to chain them up and have them tow along with you(walking dead obviously)

Dual Wielding
It would be cool for characters with right skills to dual wield weapons. Two swords,pistols, etc.

for the CBM fanatics it would be great to create powered limbs? arm damaged to the brink of death. get to a lab and get the gear to make yourself a robotic arm or the like.

Waste-processing has been suggested repeatedly and shot down every time. That’s not going to change today.

You can already feed dogs & cats to Friendly! them. Restraints or other such basing will probably happen around the time it’s worked out for NPCs.

Going Florentine/Akimbo/wev is unlikely.

We’ll probably see sword + shield before we see dual wielding. That said once we have each hand able to hold separate things we’ll certainly put it in, but don’t expect any dual gun wielding to be anywhere near what you see in movies (because really dual gun wielding is a horrible way to fight, it’s bad enough that so far there has been exactly one military organization that did has created a style around it [which they no longer use today] and it was more focused on laying down suppressive fire then it was actually hitting anything).

I am diabetic, and i don’t need insulin nor pills, luckily. It can be easily roleplayed too.

Dual wielding has been so overdone that I’d be quite content if I never had to see it in a movie or video game again. Toilet related stuff is such a terrible idea that it hardly warrants discussion. Diabetes isn’t that bad an idea and probably wouldn’t be very difficult to implement as a negative trait.

Yeah dual-wielding with guns becomes problematic when you consider how many hands you usually need to reload one gun. Dual wielding with sharp weapons is less problematic but your offhand is never gonna be as defensive as using a shield - and you can only do so much in a ‘turn’, is that extra little bit of stab going to be worth it?

I dunno! But yeah getting a second hand free to do anything in the first place will have to pre-empt using it for double the weapons, for sure.

I am not so interested in poopin’ and pissin’ in the woods with the bears, mostly because I do not forsee any way to make the fun of realism gained from it outweigh the micro-managy ‘oops, can’t do that thing I want to, gotta press P to Pee again’. Any integration of bodily functions beyond vomiting would need some means of adding to the gameplay without also being inhibiting imo. If there’s inhibitions, then it begins to bear more resemblance to a negative trait (see, taking medication to control diabetes). But I don’t really know where to begin working ‘has a digestive system with a hole on both ends’ into a functional trait to select at charactergen. Seems a janky way to do it.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:6, topic:5708”]Yeah dual-wielding with guns becomes problematic when you consider how many hands you usually need to reload one gun. Dual wielding with sharp weapons is less problematic but your offhand is never gonna be as defensive as using a shield - and you can only do so much in a ‘turn’, is that extra little bit of stab going to be worth it?

I dunno! But yeah getting a second hand free to do anything in the first place will have to pre-empt using it for double the weapons, for sure.[/quote]
Surprisingly there are actually a number of weapon based combat styles that revolve around wielding two melee weapons (knives, swords, etc.). It’s just guns that it’s silly to do it with.

Yeah, I got interrupted by a social crisis with another friend halfway through that part of my post - you’re absolutely right about dual-wielding!

I think the argument I was going for was something about the fighting style being more roleplay value than straightup character power. That, or that it wasn’t an issue to implement and would naturally follow once getting hand #2 into the game happened. (as opposed to programming it in specifically, separate from that route).

Still agree dual-guns is silly, unless you wanna pewpew and then run? I’d probably use such a tactic if I came across a second gun while in a combat situation, then simply use and discard gun #2 once it’s empty and go back to my one-gun-reload approach?

I’m gonna stop on this train of thought until my head’s clear again. Hahaha. I’m getting my thoughts jumbled.