Tailor Kit - Adding Storage Straps/Pockets

0.B/0.C - 14fea45
Curses
Windows 7

When selecting the “Add extra straps/pockets” (which i would assume adds storage) it doesn’t actually do anything. The fact that it is added is shown by the “§” added to the name, and the addition to the description.

I even checked if it was a hidden value by taking off a few items that had pockets added, but my volume only change by the base storage amount the items held.

And as far as i can tell, nothing else about the item changes.

It’s because of the (IMO really bad) decision to scale mod stats off item volume and covering.

It also scales down with previous storage ATM, so it will work better on low storage items and won’t really do much on things like backpacks.

As I’m one of those who never experienced tailor’s kit before the nerf I leave kit pretty much alone. I have sew pockets, fur padding and leather padding to many items with little to no effect on them. As it now stands it just feels overly complicated for minimal gain as you need to test out if enhancement has any effect on the given item before finally deciding what to put on your clothing.

It is really strange that the effects aren’t immediately obvious. For a deliberate action like sewing on extra pockets, you wouldn’t expect the outcome to be a mystery.

Right now pockets are disabled entirely thanks to all the problems. I’m not thrilled with it either.

Thoughts on pocketing:

1. Pockets on top of pockets don’t work as well as one might think. Stuff that already has a lot of storage should either not pocket well, or should take an encumbrance hit.
  2. You need room to put the pockets on your gear. A sundress might take several pockets no problem, but a skirt, not so much.
  3. Pockets make things look practical, so are directly opposed to FANCY/SUPER_FANCY.

I’m working on having that menu show how much an item’s value would increase from each modification, so that should at least help the no-gain issue.

Thoughts on pocketing: 1) Pockets on top of pockets don't work as well as one might think. Stuff that already has a lot of storage should either not pocket well, or should take an encumbrance hit. 2) You need room to put the pockets on your gear. A sundress might take several pockets no problem, but a skirt, not so much.

Agreed on both these points. There’s also the option of giving the player two ways to add pockets. Adding a lot of pockets to give you a lot of storage, but also an encumberance hit. Or sewing on smaller, out of the way, pockets for less storage gain, but no encumberance penalty.
On the limitations of FANCY/SUPER_FANCY clothing I’d prefer if it were an option to add on pockets anyway and lose the bonus, but I can’t find any way to remove an item’s flag.

[quote=“PropaneSoup, post:7, topic:8950”]I’m working on having that menu show how much an item’s value would increase from each modification, so that should at least help the no-gain issue.

Thoughts on pocketing: 1) Pockets on top of pockets don't work as well as one might think. Stuff that already has a lot of storage should either not pocket well, or should take an encumbrance hit. 2) You need room to put the pockets on your gear. A sundress might take several pockets no problem, but a skirt, not so much.

Agreed on both these points. There’s also the option of giving the player two ways to add pockets. Adding a lot of pockets to give you a lot of storage, but also an encumberance hit. Or sewing on smaller, out of the way, pockets for less storage gain, but no encumberance penalty.
On the limitations of FANCY/SUPER_FANCY clothing I’d prefer if it were an option to add on pockets anyway and lose the bonus, but I can’t find any way to remove an item’s flag.[/quote]

IME pulling flags like that crashed DDA when I tried having HUGE simply un-fit all your clothing, rather than having the PC hulk up and rip out of everything. :-/

You can’t remove flags from an item, what you can do is override them.
A mythical is_fancy() method:

bool item::is_fancy() {
  // Pocketed overrides fancy.
  if( has_flag("fancy") && !has_tag("pocketed") ) {
    return true,
  }
  return false,
}

Ohhhh… It never occurred to me to do it like that… This’ll be nice to know should pocketing ever get it’s way back in :wink: