Survivor suit expansion package

Git!

Survivor armor comes in all kinds of cool flavors, but there’s only the one type of boots, gloves, helmet, and mask. This changes that, as well as giving us a couple new clothing flags to work with and a couple new bonus items as well.

All craftable survivor armor now has matching headgear, gloves, and boots. Many have a special mask that goes with them, and all survivor masks have XL variants for heavily mutated survivors to wear.

The craftable survivor vest has been transformed into the survivor harness, and two new survivor-built backpack-type variants have been added to round out the list of survivor-built hauling gear.

There are also new craftable survivor clothes in the form of a lightly armored trenchcoat and cargo pants.

yay

It seems overpowered.

If zombie movies had a disapproving man who stood in a corner and protested against every extra stitch and pouch that survivors adorned themselves with, they would be a lot shorter.

WHOOP WHOOOOOP

*Me being a huge user of the suits

[size=1pt]Never mind that I haven’t had a game that I got far enough into in weeks where I got to use the Survivor gear XD[/size]

Get out of here, mutie Stalker.

I like it, and appreciate the work but I gotta ask:

I like having difficult choices to make in games (especially rogue-likes). Is there a risk of these “best-in-slot” type items becoming the thing everyone ends up wearing no matter what? Does it simplify things down too much, I guess?

I already would rush a library as early as possible in new games for Tailoring books so I could layer survivor items (1x … sometimes 2x Survivor Vests + a Light Survivor Suit + Survivor Boots, Gloves, Helm) and I’d never touch my clothing again. It basically made looting or looking for clothing and armor items pointless and my character a walking armored & pocket-covered killing machine. lol

Well, that’s the purpose of those items.

Once you’ve got the high-tier skills and vast quantities of materials required to produce them, you can replace your multilayered raincoat/utility vest/cargo pants/body armor costume with stuff like the various survivor armors. They’re supposed to be awesome like that.

[quote=“Rivet, post:10, topic:4507”]Well, that’s the purpose of those items.

Once you’ve got the high-tier skills and vast quantities of materials required to produce them, you can replace your multilayered raincoat/utility vest/cargo pants/body armor costume with stuff like the various survivor armors. They’re supposed to be awesome like that.[/quote]

I don’t think the materials are that vast, if you look at survivor pants you just need cargo/army pants, kevlar/modular/plate armour, 12 rags, a holder of some sort (purse/vest/rig) and some duct tape. That’s hardly difficult to find or ‘vast’, and it’s only level 4 to make.

I definitely think there is a place for high level armour and great work on it, but it needs to be a bit more demanding than this to make in my opinion, especially if it is supposed to be end game stuff.

One suggestion is to make it require some sort of electronic components (think heat diffusion packs or something); this would then require two skill sets to be used, which is more of a challenge?

[quote=“Binky, post:11, topic:4507”][quote=“Rivet, post:10, topic:4507”]Well, that’s the purpose of those items.

Once you’ve got the high-tier skills and vast quantities of materials required to produce them, you can replace your multilayered raincoat/utility vest/cargo pants/body armor costume with stuff like the various survivor armors. They’re supposed to be awesome like that.[/quote]

I don’t think the materials are that vast, if you look at survivor pants you just need cargo/army pants, kevlar/modular/plate armour, 12 rags, a holder of some sort (purse/vest/rig) and some duct tape. That’s hardly difficult to find or ‘vast’, and it’s only level 4 to make.[/quote]

Yep.

Right now all you need is a tailoring book or two, a sewing kit & a crash site or military zombie/corpse or even a lucky drop on a cop zombie (they’re everywhere) for the MBR/Kevlar.

The holders for these recipes can often be “pouch” or “leather pouch”. Those require, literally, rags and/or leather squares that you get from any and all clothes. Three dead Z’s or a house’s dresser and you’re done.

BOOM, you’re rocking a full set of survivor gear by the end of the week if you’re unlucky with drops.

-> Actually the holdup for me was Duct Tape. For some reason with 0.5 I can NEVER find any damned duct-tape. The stuff is like sticky gold for me.

I’d hate to say it but … maybe instead of “XYZ or ABC or HIJ” for the storage items you need … make it require a BUNCH of them. Have it directly replace multiple layers of items with one best one. Remove “pouch” and “leather pouch” from them as they’re insanely simple to make.

For instance: Light Survivor Harness gives 24 volume. So require 1 utility vest -or- 1 chest rig & a tool belt -or- fanny pack, or whatever. Force the player to go on a shopping spree to piece it together instead of just cranking out 4, 6, 8 “a pouch” and sewing together “end-game gear” by day 3.

Oh and BTW - I think “survivor pack” shows up under ‘Torso’ in the crafting menu, and not ‘Storage’ with the rest of the packs :slight_smile:

How about some scavenger gear next? More storage, less protection.

I wonder if there’s a way to integrate a water storage compartment into the suit itself, so you could carry around an emergency store of water in the suit. From the description, it seems like there should be.

Wearable containers have been an idea for quite some time now.

As soon as one of us comes up with the basic framework, you’ll see a lot of them.