[suggestion] Digging Holes causes pain

Ever try to dig a hole in the ground? I tried to dig a small 3ft shallow pit for a small Koi pond, and my back / hands were killing me. Perhaps lower strength characters it causes pain? Just a thought.

[quote=“mouseturd, post:1, topic:11460”]Ever try to dig a hole in the ground? I tried to dig a small 3ft shallow pit for a small Koi pond, and my back / hands were killing me. Perhaps lower strength characters it causes pain? Just a thought.[/quote]I figure it’d depend on the rate that you work, how much bodily endurance you got, hand protection, posture, bone health, etc…

I got a countersuggestion.
How about: We retain current construction times and functions, however for physically labor intensive constructions, we have the option to work at double speed or faster, at the cost of mild leg/arm damage due to fatiguing your limbs and possible muscle injuries?

presumably stamina could determine construction ability.

i think stamina is based in part on stats

[quote=“pisskop, post:3, topic:11460”]presumably stamina could determine construction ability.

i think stamina is based in part on stats[/quote]I feel that stamina is too short term of a metric for construction, but sleepiness is too arbitrary as well.
Rather than implement an extra bar between the two, however, maybe long-term muscle strain and the like could be emulated by doing direct damage to the limbs, based on a small percent max health of such plus a tiny flat amount?

This will mean weak and fragile characters are capable of exerting themselves, but are not quite as good at it as stronger ones. This also means that a long hard day of body-wrecking work will not leave you in the best condition to be fighting zombies or getting shot at.
The idea on top of this, would mean that you would be able to work faster in a day an incur more damage per task, or work slowly and incur very little damage per task, and, assuming you are exerting your character a sane amount and haven’t been injured otherwise, you should be feeling right as rain the next day with the overnight healing.

It’s a good idea, but it can be expanded upon much more.

Say if you do work like crafting or construction without gloves, you have a chance of developing the debuff Blisters. They’ll cause a bit of pain overtime until they heal. If you get the debuff too often, you could develope the Rough Hands which allows you to work without gloves and the cost of being uglier to NPCs.

Possibly, Rough Hands could be a trait at character creation, and provide some cut and pierce protection on your hands.

But yeah, expedited working at the cost of exhaustion or overexertion is a great idea. I’d take that risk every single time.