Stronger platings for cars?

I’m thinking of making a metal plating even stronger than the hard plating, due to its inability to hold up when driving through forests…and other cars.

Say.

What if I quintuple the stats of hard plating and rename it “Mega plating”? Five times everything.

Is that overpowered, or do it sound right? Think of like, five foot-thick plate of nothing but steel.

Op.

What should I do to make it “right”? More metal needed, etc?

I’ve pinpointed your problem right here. It’s not reasonable to make a vehicle that is simply ok to ram through forests and other vehicles.

Mythbuster did something alike to what I’m thinking of.

It seems reasonable to me. Which’s stronger, steel or wood?

Here’s the difference, those cars aren’t attached to the ground. Trees, on the other hand, have a very large root system that one of its main functions is to stop the dang thing from being knocked over by stuff. If you want an example of what happens when cars meet even small trees, just google “tree car crash”. Even little trees tend to leave most cars looking like this:

So far I’ve seen exactly one car that could go through trees, and it did so by literally mounting a chainsaw blade on the front of the car and driving very slowly up against ones small enough to ensure that they fell in the right direction. (It was a Red-Green episode if anyone was wondering). In any battle of trees vs. cars, trees win 99.99% of the time.

That said if you really wanted to do this just copy the hard plating json entry and change the durability.

I’m starting to become convicted that my idea’s OP.

What do you think of this? A tank driving over trees.

My mobile house’s about heavy as a tank, 60,000 pounds. If I add even more engines, platings on the front and drive slowly, do you think it would make sense for me to be able to drive through forests easily?

Also note this comment in the youtube.

"flappye
6 years ago

we’ve crushed trees twice that big with mt-lbv’s. being in a mortar squad, we sometimes had to clear the area from trees to be able to fire :p"

Your videos don’t show what you seem to think they do.
The mythbusters shows a ram purpose-built for flinging cars out of the way, it’s not just “stronger plating”. If you were asking about a ram we’d be having a different discussion.
Also look at the ram at the end of the video, it has taken heavy damage.

The tank video shows a tank running over a small tree.

1. You don’t have a tank, there’s a very big difference between something that’s “as heavy as a tank” and an actual tank.
  2. You’re not talking about small trees, you said “driving through forests” which would also imply large trees and not just a few at a time.

Oh…I’m an idiot. I was using hard plating as rams on the front of my mobile home, didn’t realize that I should had called them rams. Ram= Angled, sharpened, etc. Big difference, yes.

I’m not sure about the ram becoming damaged in the video I linked. There’s no clear view of the front of the tank. Maybe you heard it being crushed or something, I wouldn’t know, deaf. If you’re referring to the mythbuster one, also not sure too. It don’t look dented, just that the tape and paint’s scrapped off.

I didn’t say that my mobile house was a tank, just very alike to one. I took apart two road rollers to make the front area of my mobile house. I would assume that due to the…rollers, it’s just good as a tank in terms of armoring, in the front.

If there’s big trees, might just as well build them bigger than the trees. Go big as this!

Not possible now, I get that part. But a stronger Ram is possible right now. People seems to believe that it’s overpowered, so I’ll not mess with that for now. I don’t want to be spoiling my fun just yet, this game, Kevin, is too awesome.

…I’ll be honest when I was fucking with the vehicle durability stuff I… knew very little of what I was doing. Unless someone replaced it later, the “standard” strength plating is kinda weak.

I do want a tank in the game. Can I have a tank in the game?

The two things I was stuck on were how to tank turret and how to treads.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:8, topic:8014”]Your videos don’t show what you seem to think they do.
The mythbusters shows a ram purpose-built for flinging cars out of the way, it’s not just “stronger plating”. If you were asking about a ram we’d be having a different discussion.
Also look at the ram at the end of the video, it has taken heavy damage.

The tank video shows a tank running over a small tree.

1. You don’t have a tank, there’s a very big difference between something that’s “as heavy as a tank” and an actual tank.
  2. You’re not talking about small trees, you said “driving through forests” which would also imply large trees and not just a few at a time.[/quote]
    Its not a tank, its APC, which are ingame, though… Tanks crush trees easily without damage, i mean, usual trees that are encountered in most of the New England (no primal forests with huge very old trees, most of it is not older than 100 years). APC such as that in the video would do the same to the shrubs and small trees (ingame 1s).

But the difference in weight and plating between tank and a car is absolutely huge.

I know that I said that I wouldn’t mess with those settings…

I changed my mind after repairing my mobile house for the thousandth time, I added a zero to all of the plating’s durability. Much better right now. I still have to repair everything pretty often, I can’t just ram into something at like, 500 MPH without EXPLODING into a mess of metals. Or having my avatar to explode into a mess of guts and broken bones from the force of the impact.

It don’t even fit onto the roads anymore, it’s too big right now (Yes, I built it even bigger.). I need more engines, more solars, more fuel, and stronger plating to plow though the houses in my way. More nuclear fuel too.

I’m wondering if there’ll be more energy sources. Like something that’ll let me to grab zombies and drag them into my…Mobile town and throw them into a burner or something to turn them into fuel?

Maybe…Maybe, a opening along the sides with myself at the center as a lure, zombies enters those openings to try to get to me, end up into the fuel burner core of my tank and be turned into fuel! Some kind of mouth that shallows up everything and burn everything up…yes, yes, ashes floats on molten metal, so it might be possible to build some kind of system that can turn anything burnable into fuel and shit very pure blocks of steel.

A…hmmm. Yes! Yes! What if I, or someone was to make like, a stove that can be welded into a car, drive up to a forest and start cutting down trees and throw logs into the stove to burn to turn into power that’s stored away into the batteries!?

I changed my mind after repairing my mobile house for the thousandth time, I added a zero to all of the plating’s durability. Much better right now. I still have to repair everything pretty often, I can’t just ram into something at like, 500 MPH without EXPLODING into a mess of metals. Or having my avatar to explode into a mess of guts and broken bones from the force of the impact.

It don’t even fit onto the roads anymore, it’s too big right now (Yes, I built it even bigger.). I need more engines, more solars, more fuel, and stronger plating to plow though the houses in my way. More nuclear fuel too.

I’m wondering if there’ll be more energy sources. Like something that’ll let me to grab zombies and drag them into my…Mobile town and throw them into a burner or something to turn them into fuel?

Maybe…Maybe, a opening along the sides with myself at the center as a lure, zombies enters those openings to try to get to me, end up into the fuel burner core of my tank and be turned into fuel! Some kind of mouth that shallows up everything and burn everything up…yes, yes, ashes floats on molten metal, so it might be possible to build some kind of system that can turn anything burnable into fuel and shit very pure blocks of steel.

A…hmmm. Yes! Yes! What if I, or someone was to make like, a stove that can be welded into a car, drive up to a forest and start cutting down trees and throw logs into the stove to burn to turn into power that’s stored away into the batteries!?[/quote]

[spoiler][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:15, topic:8014”][quote=“DrNightmares, post:14, topic:8014”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:10, topic:8014”]…I’ll be honest when I was fucking with the vehicle durability stuff I… knew very little of what I was doing. Unless someone replaced it later, the “standard” strength plating is kinda weak.[/quote]

A…hmmm. Yes! Yes! What if I, or someone was to make like, a stove that can be welded into a car, drive up to a forest and start cutting down trees and throw logs into the stove to burn to turn into power that’s stored away into the batteries!?[/quote]

[/quote][/spoiler]

Fine, fine, slowing down a few breaths.

To keep the steam stove from being OP, I would start here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

See Gas’s energy density compared against wood. 44.4/16.2= 2.7

So, each kilograms of wood makes about a third of each kilograms of gas’s energy output. Good place to start. Steam machine. Burn wood, turn fans. Add water. How much?

Name it the steampunk mod and slap on some brass goggles!

What about making guns that fires highly pressurized hot steam! Boil zombie’s flesh from their bones! Yes! Yes! Backpack, throw logs in, boil water, spray out of a power washer! Values on backpack to keep pressure from building to dangerous level, near red zone, steams comes out to lower the pressure! Hiss. Noise level, bring more zombies to boil away!

Why doesn’t we have power washers? Those would be damn awesome to use as weapons!

Ladies and gentlemen, we are reaching Dwarf Fortress levels of contraptions here xD

Since it reached this point, can i ask if one little thing is possible? Expandable/contractable car parts, so a bigger car could pull itself inwards, becoming smaller(but more dense), or a blade attached to its sides could be pushed forward to attack zombies and other creatures.

[quote=“Wanderer, post:17, topic:8014”]Ladies and gentlemen, we are reaching Dwarf Fortress levels of contraptions here xD

Since it reached this point, can i ask if one little thing is possible? Expandable/contractable car parts, so a bigger car could pull itself inwards, becoming smaller(but more dense), or a blade attached to its sides could be pushed forward to attack zombies and other creatures.[/quote]
To be honest, with all that crafting it already plays like DF :d

[quote=“Wanderer, post:17, topic:8014”]Ladies and gentlemen, we are reaching Dwarf Fortress levels of contraptions here xD

Since it reached this point, can i ask if one little thing is possible? Expandable/contractable car parts, so a bigger car could pull itself inwards, becoming smaller(but more dense), or a blade attached to its sides could be pushed forward to attack zombies and other creatures.[/quote]

So… a transformer?