Steroids

This is not a good idea because it relies on systems that are non-existent or poorly fleshed out. And it would be boring gameplay.

For one thing, much of strength would go away once you stopped taking steroids. For another, the amount of strength actually gained would be highly dependent on how activity you actually did. If your character is taking steroids and then sitting inside reading books all day, he’s not going to gain as much weight as he would if he’s running around throwing steel frames at zombies. Further, it should make you more vulnerable to diseases because steroids suppress your immune response. But we don’t even have diseases properly in the game yet.

Most importantly, taking vitamins in the game is already a boring exercise in routine. This game already has a half dozen things that are pure drudgery and not fun and have absolutely no challenge. Every single day I shave some skewers off a 2x4, set them on fire, and boil some water. My brazier is right next to a toilet so I have infinite water. A single forest tile provides so many hundreds or thousands of skewers I’ll never run out of fuel. Yet what do I have to do every. single. game. day? drop skewer. apply firedrill/lighter/matchbook. craft clean water. select waterskin/canteen. repeat x5 or so.

so yeah, adding another set of button presses you’ll do every day with no challenge? no thanks.

More drugs is generally a Fun idea, but the implementation doesn’t sound so great in this one.

I agree regarding the vitamins, but why would you boil water every single day? I fill up a few gallon jugs at the beginning of each week, or a jerrycan if I have an extra one, it isn’t like clean water goes bad.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:22, topic:1892”]More drugs is generally a Fun idea, but the implementation doesn’t sound so great in this one.

I agree regarding the vitamins, but why would you boil water every single day? I fill up a few gallon jugs at the beginning of each week, or a jerrycan if I have an extra one, it isn’t like clean water goes bad.[/quote]

oh yeah, if i find a jerrycan or something big i’ll do that.

i guess in theory boiling water doesnt HAVE to be every day, but if you can’t conveniently get some large container back to your base, it will be. in my current town there are no jerrycans.

either way, you have to boil the same amount of water, i guess. i suppose i could even craft a half dozen waterskins and just have 1 per day of the week or something.

but whatever - the point is that boiling water 1 drink at a time is pretty tedious, requires no thought, and provides no challenge.

There is a mod that adds the ability to boil more water at once, a different recipe for each size container.
Unfortunately it requires a recompile, but I’ve been using it long enough I forgot how annoying it was to hit the recraft button so many times: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=1225.msg14028#msg14028

[quote=“grisamentum, post:21, topic:1892”]For one thing, much of strength would go away once you stopped taking steroids. For another, the amount of strength actually gained would be highly dependent on how activity you actually did.

Most importantly, taking vitamins in the game is already a boring exercise in routine.[/quote]

The boost is permanent, once you gained it there is no need to keep popping pills.
There is no system worked for how physical you have been lately and who cares really if you are living the the apocalypse smashing zombies in the head, RUNNING EVERYWHERE and carrying guns+tools+spare clothes+food+crafting material 24/7, just being a lazy cunt would be a workout.

You say taking pills is a boring routine in the game? It is in real life too dude. Do you take vitamins and get an adrenalin rush? I sure don’t. Taking vitamins in RL is BORING as shit. It is boring and tedious to take steroids everyday, but you don’t do these things cause they are fun, you do them for the end result (otherwise it would be something everyone would do if it didn’t have it’s drawbacks).

Yes make it clear people: I AM TALKING ABOUT PERMANENT STAT INCREASES, not the temporary bonuses that are already available

Yes, eating is boring. Too bad fast food joint folks eat your legs nowadays. :slight_smile:
I don’t see a routine problem, really. Set apart one afternoon and add some variety to the supplies you’ve stacked; have a field trip and grab some wood, too. A large canister to hold water for cooking needs, to pose as a water tank sub to RV units; if you’re that bored, edit the game and build a gas stove, or wait until the working men agree on one.
On the other hand, I miss sloppy burgers ingame. Might suggest I, a meat-mincing mechanical device? :slight_smile: That beef jerky’s full of aditives, y’know? :stuck_out_tongue: