Mod Request! Working Out!

Oftentimes I’ll find myself not tired before I’m ready to retire for the night, I was thinking why not apply some extra realism and add an option to do some light strength training, Working out pushups, situps, jackknives, burpees, etc. To train your strength stat. Thanks for listening!

Another feature I’d like to see added on is a “SKILL DECAY” system. so that if you workout to gain strength, you can’t cheese the system and you have to mantain certain amounts of exercise to keep your strength up over time!

Both of these are things I’d be interested in adding to the game, but some time after finishing this.
Basically I’d prefer to focus on fixing the existing skil system before extending it to stats. Plus the ideas in that thread would apply to stat building as well, so having them in place would cut a lot of the work out of adding stat levelling.

Thanks for your response! I really appreciate to hear that you’re thinking of some of the same stuff I’m thinking of! I’ve really fallen in love with this game and it’s community.

Now that someone linked me to this…I can’t see this ending in any way that doesn’t lead to a poorly-implemented muscular atrophy system. D:

Random_dragon, we do not need the unending complaints and negativity out of you, stop it, leave, or be removed, your choice.

Alright, sorry. I’ll admit that I’ve been kinda pessimistic about dev decisions, but it’s not like pointing them out in a non-snarky manner has worked very often. Once, so far.

And I do want to point something here. I have indeed been a bit leery of more realism-focused suggestions, because I’m worried they won’t be implemented in a manner that adds to gameplay. In this example, we’re talking basically Nethack-style stat modification through daily activities.

My snark here is basically the fear that stat RUST will gain higher development priority than stat BUILDING, causing stat loss to be a losing battle that requires the player to spend unrealistic amounts of time working out or wading into hordes of enemies just to maintain the stats they started with. There’s also the worry that, like a lot of features that weren’t complete on initial implementation, it’ll be mandatory when first added, and cause complaints because at least skill rust can be turned off.

See discussion on the “whining about realism” thread in The Bunker. Even Coolthulhu’s given his own example of a common realism suggestion, and how he fears it’d actually be implemented. I’ll admit though that he didn’t go full snark right off the bat, yes. For that I’m sorry.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:8, topic:13566”]And I do want to point something here. I have indeed been a bit leery of more realism-focused suggestions, because I’m worried they won’t be implemented in a manner that adds to gameplay. In this example, we’re talking basically Nethack-style stat modification through daily activities.

My snark here is basically the fear that stat RUST will gain higher development priority than stat BUILDING, causing stat loss to be a losing battle that requires the player to spend unrealistic amounts of time working out or wading into hordes of enemies just to maintain the stats they started with. There’s also the worry that, like a lot of features that weren’t complete on initial implementation, it’ll be mandatory when first added, and cause complaints because at least skill rust can be turned off.

See discussion on the “whining about realism” thread in The Bunker. Even Coolthulhu’s given his own example of a common realism suggestion, and how he fears it’d actually be implemented. I’ll admit though that he didn’t go full snark right off the bat, yes. For that I’m sorry.[/quote]
You aren’t thinking your arguments fully through and they can be easily overcome with this: You wouldn’t have to do push ups when you are bashing in skulls and the same with Intelligence, you wouldn’t have to practice it when you are reading a shit tone of books about building. By the way, if you do not like what the devs are doing than stop playing, because I personally find this game and how much time they are putting in amazing.

That’s assuming the implementation is balanced well. There’s an entire thread in The Bunker cataloguing a long list of reasons why I’m so pessimistic about whether how well it would be added to the game.

I’ve tried to quit this game. The only reason I ever even poke my head onto the forums and still occasionally play this game is to check on old mos of mine, and because now I’m having to maintain Arcana as a third-party mod.

You think I haven’t spent a lot any effort adding to this game and its mods back when I was a contributor? There were points when I was the most-active contributor as well.

I still love this game, but I’ve been increasingly concerned over a lot of dev decisions, and your shitposting here’s about as helpful as my snarking. :V

RD is right here.

Working out would require number crunching, good UI and proper automation (or just being implicit) not to suck.
And those are frequently skimped on when implementing features for realism.

Without a dedicated developer who playtests the changes, it would be like the vitamins system, except far more harmful.
Vitamins were initially supposed to be a way to balance food, which currently is very easy to satisfy. But thanks to bad choice of names (real life microelements), it quickly turned into worthless bloat that does nothing except annoy and concern players with warnings. And they still aren’t ready to get actual penalties, because all the “balancing” was about realism (“you should not get scurvy in x days”) and not about actual mechanics or balancing.

Unless someone actually concerned with gameplay volunteered to get on it, I’d expect working out to go the same route as vitamins. It would most likely end up about as fun as pushing boulders in Nethack, but with more per day caps so that you’d have to do it daily.

Frankly the whole dev team is rather burned out, as evidenced by lack of balancing changes despite actual balance being rather poor and endgame still not being a thing.

Thank you for that. I’m not good at explaining a point, and often abrasive in doing so, but I’d hoped the point itself was solid.