Static bases - Returning and excursions

[quote=“iceball3, post:20, topic:14162”][quote="§k, post:19, topic:14162"]To make returning base a better experience, we need auto-drive - the car moving along the road, or along a straight line, the player making small adjustment to walk around obstacle.

Long distance teleport, if it did exist, would be a waste for a QoL feature. Worm hole chasing with zombie warper is thrilling.[/quote]How about “cruise steering”, allow vehicles (the player’s character, really) to automatically drive, using the road-stripe tiles as guidance, until a safe mode violation occurs or an oncoming object is detected halfway in through the reality bubble?
We could even disallow it at lower morales, for fancy schmancy depth.[/quote]
solid “do want” on that one.

Auto Pilot would be super helpful for my bases project in the distant future to allow NPCs to dive between home base and an outpost… if I ever get that far…

NPCs driving between bases, that’s not going to end up in pancaked players or anything…

I like it.

Yeah… watch left and right before crossing road.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:23, topic:14162”]NPCs driving between bases, that’s not going to end up in pancaked players or anything…

I like it.[/quote]

The idea was to make an NPC drive all your loot back to your base for you. You know "here’s a pile of random junk i found. You go take this home for me while I take a nap."
NPC embarks on a 120 mile journey across a land where every moving thing wants to rip his head off and scoop out his brain like a Mellon

or just have a bunch of meat-shields come meet you to raid the National Guard Outpost so you don’t have to go back and get them

[quote=“Theundyingcode, post:25, topic:14162”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:23, topic:14162”]NPCs driving between bases, that’s not going to end up in pancaked players or anything…

I like it.[/quote]

The idea was to make an NPC drive all your loot back to your base for you. You know "here’s a pile of random junk i found. You go take this home for me while I take a nap."
NPC embarks on a 120 mile journey across a land where every moving thing wants to rip his head off and scoop out his brain like a Mellon

or just have a bunch of meat-shields come meet you to raid the National Guard Outpost so you don’t have to go back and get them[/quote]

How would you get around the reality bubble issue? Just calculate the total distance, driving speed (preferably an option in NPC menu, how badly do you need that support?) and time taken? You could have a percentage chance of vehicle damage based off of NPC driving skill, total distance, and speed to simulate obstacles that aren’t inside the reality bubble and a separate chance based off of vehicle noise, NPC driving skill, and total distance to have the possibility for some idiot to lead a horde right to base.

Yep, but it’s my job to take your ideas and make them evil.

1. The number of NPCs doing this would need to be limited, otherwise it’s a mess.
  2. Similar to how hordes will work, the traveling NPC can check the overmap for monsters that require special handling, if monsters are encountered it needs to load a map and actually handle the encounter. NPCs should generally be avoiding monsters, so encounters shouldn’t last long.
  3. For following roads, only the road tiles themselves need to be loaded most of the time, the surrounding tiles only need to be checked if the road is blocked.
  1. The number of NPCs doing this would need to be limited, otherwise it’s a mess.
  2. Similar to how hordes will work, the traveling NPC can check the overmap for monsters that require special handling, if monsters are encountered it needs to load a map and actually handle the encounter. NPCs should generally be avoiding monsters, so encounters shouldn’t last long.
  3. For following roads, only the road tiles themselves need to be loaded most of the time, the surrounding tiles only need to be checked if the road is blocked.[/quote]

Just run random encounters:

[ul][li]Road? (# of vehicles)/(NPC’s driving lv.)% chance of hitting something.[/li]
[li]Field? 50/(driving lv.) shrubs hit. 1/lv.% chance of hitting a boulder.[/li]
[li]Mall? 1,000,000/(driving lv.)% chance of trying to play cool-aid man[/li]
[li]Zombies? (#of Zs*vehicle width)/(driving lv.+10)chance to hit each Z[/li][/ul]

Then, just run the crash mechanic to figure out dmg. I’d assume NPCs are all “Break? What’s that? Is it tasty?” kinda people.

This isn’t a “random encounter” kind of game, it’s simulation-based.

I’ve seen the movie ‘the fly’, you want to give dev’s more ideas for mutations? Sure go ahead.

This isn’t a “random encounter” kind of game, it’s simulation-based.[/quote]

And my suggestion was kinda simulation based just really simplified. It would run fast and anyone who actually decides to trust NPCs with a vehicle and their stuff deserves to end up needing to go retrieve their stuff from a pile of burning wreckage in the middle of a Zombie Hoard.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:6, topic:14162”]First I’d like to propose an alternate solution to your problem.
Auto-driving. While driving, you pick a destination you can reach by following roads on the overmap view, and the game autopilot you to that destination, exiting that mode if it encounters hazards.
This matches the feel if the game better while still making long trips convenient, especially if you take the time to clear your route.

Code-wise this isn’t much of a problem, capturing all of the contents of a vehicle (including passengers), loading a new map area, and placing the vehicle is fairly easy.
Thematically it doesn’t make sense for a survivor, or even a community of survivors to build and operate this kind of thing.[/quote]

Sorry for the necro but I want to know when this will be implemented?, long trips on foot are certainly time consuming.

No idea. My current focus is getting things stabilized for a release.

Are we finally getting close to a new stable?