Starting release process for 0.C, please report game-breaking bugs here

I’m starting the release process for the next stable, and I’d like your help to make it as good as possible.
This: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/milestones/0.C is the list of issues that must be resolved before we can make a new release.
If you’re aware of any other game-breaking bugs present in the current experimental builds, please report them here and/or open an issue at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues

Note we’re not looking for feature requests, and we’re not looking for a laundry list of minor bugs. Please report those too, but this is for bugs that make some aspect of the game unplayable.

New version…already? That was fast

yeah that was quick
but what exactly is being added in 0.C? is it just bug fixes or does it add content that just wasn’t ready to be published around the release of 0.B?

The biggest thing I did since 0.B was eliminate the performance problem that was caused by having zillions of items lying around. The biggest other changes off the top of my head are monster infighting, improved AI for player-controlled turrets, DeathCam (pretty sure that didn’t make it in by 0.B), and RC vehicles(fullsize, not model).
There are I’m sure a number of additional changes that I’m forgetting right now, I’ll generate a changelog as the release proceeds.

Just so long as the singularity pancake cars doesn’t turn out to be a repeatable bug, or that weird one where liquids crafted go negative-mass. Those have both already been reported though… Nothing else has broken my game since updating to most recent experimental earlier today.

Feels like the last feature freeze was longer than 0.B has been out.

This is great news! An already incredible game will get even better now… :slight_smile:

Hell yeah, I’m pretty stoked for 0.C coming, here’s looking to seeing the tilesets get updated for it too! (I noticed that on RetroDays20 certain trees were showing up as 7s rather than actual tree sprites, so it looks like there’ll be a lil bit of catching up to do in that respect!)

some bugs I’m experiencing with the latest experimental involve the mods not appearing and the items not being found. basically it seems that it has lost all ability to find the things necessary to start it. Windows 2630-2632 terminal.

Thanks Nikal, that’s a serious bug and we’re definitely not releasing without it fixed.

Nickal: That bug should be gone now.

Using the “Really Bad Day” starting scenario, about one in ten games I get

[spoiler]/usr/include/c++/4.8/debug/safe_iterator.h:264:error: attempt to
dereference a singular iterator.

Objects involved in the operation:
iterator “this” @ 0x0x70fa728 {
type = N11__gnu_debug14_Safe_iteratorINSt9__cxx199814_List_iteratorI4itemEENSt7__debug4listIS3_SaIS3_EEEEE (mutable iterator);
state = singular;
references sequence with type `NSt7__debug4listI4itemSaIS1_EEE’ @ 0x0x70fa728
}
Aborted (core dumped)
[/spoiler]

This usually happens within the first 5 turns of the game.

How much time do I have left for translation? :slight_smile:

No freeze, so Plenty. :wink:

I have a vehicle liquid tank update branch backburnered. It would allow generic liquid tanks such as dirty water tanks, bleach tanks etc. while also making liquid tanks, car batteries and cargo use equivalent units of volume. It would make car storage tanks work pretty much like liquid container items.

I left it in a mostly-finished state due to IRL stuff piling up on me, but vehicle code hasn’t changed that much since ~1000 revisions ago so updating it wouldn’t take a lot of time and work.

The problem is, it is quite big, so there is no feasible way I’ll find all the bugs myself. I caught what I could and will also test it a bunch of times before sending it, but some bugs always do slip past even the rigorous tests.

Should I update, clean it up and PR it now or wait until 0.C is out?

Is there a planned release date for 0.C or is it closer to “when all the bugs get fixed”?

Feel free to PR, along with a description that sets the tone for what you want out of it. The worst case is just closing it again once you have your feedback.

The release is indeed when the bugs get fixed, specifically the ones that make their way onto this list: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A0.C
However that’s getting pretty close, so I’m eying the right time to call a feature freeze to start pushing for the release.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:16, topic:8529”]Feel free to PR, along with a description that sets the tone for what you want out of it. The worst case is just closing it again once you have your feedback.

The release is indeed when the bugs get fixed, specifically the ones that make their way onto this list: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A0.C
However that’s getting pretty close, so I’m eying the right time to call a feature freeze to start pushing for the release.[/quote]

For the record, this whole project and what you guys do is amazing. I don’t know how often you get told that but it isn’t nearly enough as far as I’m concerned. Loving it.

Thanks TTex, that keeps me going :wink:

Also I have an announcement, we just hit 0 critical bugs for 0.C!
If there are any serious issues in the latest experimental, PLEASE speak up, because if you don’t they will most likely be in 0.C too.
I’m tentatively targeting next weekend for the release.

Also, have a changelog!

0.C

Features:
Infighting! Monsters now have factions assigned and will attack other monsters from opposing factions.
Meteorology! Featuring all-new thermometer, barometer, and hygrometer, as well as an all-inclusive weather station.
Now we can finally talk about the weather, as we’ve always wanted.
You can warm yourself up from a nearby fire.
Change car batteries without any tools, truck batteries with just a wrench, or install swappable storage battery cases and add/remove storage batteries to your heart’s content. Electric ca
rs come with cases for their storage batteries by default now.
Many vehicle parts are now foldable, enabling you to have a more complete folding bicycle (or wheelchair).
Aiming! You can now spend time when aiming a ranged weapon to improve your accuracy with it.
The patented DeathCam™! You can now watch what happens after your epic death: is anything left of you after that massive fire burns itself out?
Rifle straps! Mount one on your gun and just wear it when you’re not using it.
Some cars have alarms now, and you can try to bypass the alarm and unlock the controls.
Better interactions with worn items, such as auto-retrieving stowed items from them.
Toggle modes for each vehicle turret individually.
Manual fire turrets.
Cameras mountable on vehicles to extend view area.
New drive-by-wireless system for cars, remote controll full-sized cars!
Clothing modifications (pockets, padding, and reinforcing).

Content:
An abandoned farmhouse may spawn in the forest from time to time, with a sad story behind it.
Tanning with trees! Blackjack oaks now spawn, and can provide tanbark.
Electric chainsaws and jackhammers now exist in the world.
Destructible bridges! They can be smashed, they have sidewalks, and are a source of rebar.
Straw! Get it from the hay in farm barns and make yourself a nice straw hat.
Battery mods (extended battery, rechargeable battery, etc.) can now be removed by applying a screwdriver.
Wool and felt are now usable materials.
Lots of clay and pottery recipes/items.
Diesel fuel/engines/pumps.
Lots of comestibles and recipes for them.
Buildable concrete and brick walls and roofs.
Flu shot that actually innoculates against flu.
Metal tank furniture similar to a keg, but easier to make.
Lots of new clothes and recipes for them.
Large amounts of chemical and metalurgy additions, lots of bombs and rockets.
Interior lights for vehicles.
Fire engine, with a water cannon!
Occasional mineral drops when tunneling (limestone so far).
Zombie technician gained a disarm attack.
Student professions.
Generic spiritualist content.
Craftable canned food and recipes.
More farming content and recipes to make use of them.

Interface:
Butchering can now be used to cut up items, too. Also, you can now salvage all the things (in a tile) in one keypress.
Item descriptions now tell you what you know you can craft with them. No more wondering what those stupid copper tubes are good for.
You can now choose to ensure that items you pick up never get wielded, keeping your hands free – useful when you want to be using a martial arts style that’s primarily unarmed.
Foraging just… happens. Without prompting you (Y/N?) every (Y/N?) time.
You can now choose to re-roll a random scenario along with your other random character generation things.
New item action menu, trigger items without rooting around in your inventory!
Option to merge all cash card charges into one card at an ATM.
Laser-dot targeting now triggers safe mode.
Streamlined vehicle construction menu by adding a shape select menu to parts that have multiple symbols.
Added tabs to vehicle construction menu to help manage all the parts.
Sound symbols persist until the end of the player turn, and can be examined for a description.
Warning prompt about activated items when sleeping or waiting.
Item names now have HP bars displayed with them.
Add V-menu (nearby items/monsters) to peek command.
Add filters to advanced inventory.

Balance:
Gun mods aren’t just a free-for-all when reaching marksmanship level 1 anymore – instead, they each have different skill requirements to install.
Canes, cudgels, and umbrellas now work as improvised fencing weapons.
Gunstores are all locked up.
Muscle-powered engines can run alternators now.
Muscle-powered engines cause thirst, hunger and fatigue.
Split out more layering locations and layers, but made layering penalties harsher.
Nerfed shrapnel from bombs in general, they are MUCH less effective against armored enemies.
Monsters with many weapons semi-intelligently choose which ones to use.
Tuned skilling progression for making archery items to allow bootstrapping.
Unfletched arrows no longer count as ammunition so they don’t clutter your firing menu.
Some monsters have a small amount of nightvision, Now you will learn why you fear the night.
Enabled trading with starting NPC at game start.

Bugfixes:
Doors and windows no longer hold up the roof! Hopefully preventing collapses from zombies breaking into your shop.
Solar panels now just work (as long as they’re above-ground and it’s sunny).
Fixed dark temple finale by enhancing the dark wyrms that it spawns.
Fix slow vehicles getting stuck in reverse.
Fixed free blocks when player had no block techniques.
Make effects that damage all player bodyparts use the same armor code as other attacks.
Scale damage to armor based on its coverage so e.g. power armor isn’t ridiculously vulnerable to acid.
Fatigue can no longer go so negative that you don’t need to sleep for days.
Unify vehicle fuel handling.

Performance:
MASSIVE improvement in performance when there are large numbers (thousands) of items nearby.
Added a clustering algorithm for monster hearing that improves performance when there are many (thousands) of monsters on-map and making noises.
Iterate across map structures in cache-friendly way.

Infrastructure:
Diseases are configurable from JSON and applied as relatively generic status effects.
Pedal/wheelchairs/paddles united as a “fuel type”.
About half of the item types are now composable, for example you can easily make a “wearable gun”, or “wearable tool” now.
Overhaul and simplification of map data handling.
Simplification of gun and gunmod handling.
Restored building under MSVC.
Build performance improvements via removing unecessary includes.
Simplify handling of vehicle coordinates.
Visibility clecking API cleanup.
Unified filesystem API.
Extracted activity handlers from game.cpp
Sound processing moved to a dedicated module. (in-game hearing, not the game making sound)
Moved some shared logic from player to character.
Streamlined obsolete mod handling.

I’d say active mutations not being on after loading a save/starting the game should qualify. Otherwise there may be quite a bit of “night vision trait does nothing” threads until 0.D or 1.A

Since that’s a fairly heavy code rewrite, it might be worth it just to swap NV around so that the default “off” setting is the same as it’s “on” state (which could be done by just throwing like 6 '!'s into the code at the active night vision checks.