Stacking

can someone make items that the player recieves a ton of, such as bones, scrap metal and other mass crafting meterials stackable? my crafting screen is slowing to a crawl do to my thousands of bones, and i have no idea what to do about them.

Try making superglue.

Seriously, though. This could use a solution. As rivet pointed out via github, simplest method would be to make such materials into ammo, and thus stackable.

the best thing would be to make everything stackable in the first place!

Question… is there a way to get a number of items from a stack? Like take 3 bones from a stack of 400? If there’s no way then it would be as annoying. :stuck_out_tongue:

Chiko there is a way. How you do it is when you are looking at the list of items to pick up type a number and than select the item. So if there was a stack of 400 bones and their designation was ‘g’ you would push ‘3’ than ‘g’ and you’d only grab three of the item, but this can work all the way into the hundreds as well for any item that stacks.

In the Advanced Inventory Management screen, highlighting a stack and pressing ‘m’ will prompt you for a number, too.

Nice… I didn’t know that one. Doing this is not that complicated. I did an item regarded as ammo that stacks. It was supposed to be ammo but I just left it as an item.

I think the only problem is that making them stackable will mess up the space they take. Since bones take 1 room, making them stack in 100 will make them take 1 room every hundred bones…

I thought you could stack bones…

Only if you are moving to or from your inventory. (As far as I can tell, in 0.A Stable.) Would be nice if it worked the same when moving stuff between two ground squares, or between ground and a grabbed vehicle.

[quote=“Chiko, post:7, topic:4358”]Nice… I didn’t know that one. Doing this is not that complicated. I did an item regarded as ammo that stacks. It was supposed to be ammo but I just left it as an item.

I think the only problem is that making them stackable will mess up the space they take. Since bones take 1 room, making them stack in 100 will make them take 1 room every hundred bones…[/quote]
Actually, I just found a way to make each item in a stack have its own weight. It was actually really easy. xD

We just have to add the string “stack_size” : 1, and tah dah! Weight issue fixed.

Fuck, my storage on the floor!
"2x4
2x4
2x4
2x4
2x4
2x4
2x4
2x4
Chunk of human meat (rotten)
2x4
2x4
Chunk of human meat (rotten)
Chunk of meat (rotten)
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
nails (135)"
HNNNNG, when looking for my fucking lighter of even my god damn pot to make some water…

You’re not alone in this problem, blackopsman.

finding stuff is sooo much easier now!

• Press ‘/a’ to see all surrounding tiles in the AIM
    make sure you have once pressed ‘sc’ in the AIM to make at least one pane sort items by category and its even better.

• Press ‘VRF’ to hit the ‘visual search’. it even remembers the history of your searches… so if you keep loosing your lighter… the 2nd time you just need to press up to get the list.

once you start using inscriptions (by applying a knife/marker/soldering-iron) you will be able to mark pretty much everything that’s not stackable (you can write notes on individual cigs if you want, but that’s something else) … like your prefered equipment. just inscribe ‘ok’ on the item and you’ll get item showing in the inventory. makes it much much much less likely that you’ll drop it carelessly when you’re dumping stuff.

you can also improve and enhance many items with a welder or suitable repair kit. that will make their names longer which helps lots too by making them stand out more.

if you’re completely insane devoted, you can also unpack all the cardboard boxes and plastic bagged items so that you wind up with far fewer individual items … all neatly stacked. before you complain about getting 3 kinds of sweets that dont seem to stack any further, read their descriptions :wink: there’s actually three kinds of sweets (at least) … that goes for bottles and cans too. you can unload those into large containers and stick your empties somewhere out of the way.

if you have auto-pickup on, build at least one shelf so that you can dump everything that would otherwise fly into your pockets there. that makes running around your stomping grounds much more pleasant.

i make one more stack in a pit right outside the house to dump useless blazers, flyers, hair and tie thingies. excess pelts and bones and the like. i throw in all the spoiled stuff too. its next to the door, so that when i need something for crafting with the doors closed i can just move it in with the aim.

:slight_smile:

as for pots… just make a few more. and steal a shopping cart or three and designate one as the one with the house-tools. then just move that around as needed. tape a car trunk on top for good measure.

Or you guys could sort it before dropping it.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5332.0

I hope our coding guys (aka contributers) would spend a bit of attention to stacking. Currently it’s a pain in the…

The big difficulty is the fact that a fair number of those things actually store different information. Bones, IIRC, store the type of creature they come from for example. This means that unless you track that separately (something the current system doesn’t, and I’m not sure what the best way to implement would be off the top of my head) you can’t stack them. It is something I would definitely like to see, as it would allow us to have several different descriptions for items while still having them stack and act like normal.

The big difficulty is the fact that a fair number of those things actually store different information. Bones, IIRC, store the type of creature they come from for example. This means that unless you track that separately (something the current system doesn’t, and I’m not sure what the best way to implement would be off the top of my head) you can’t stack them. It is something I would definitely like to see, as it would allow us to have several different descriptions for items while still having them stack and act like normal.[/quote]

I guess first question line is: Do we need that info/Is it useful? Are there recipes that use different bones and stuff? I usually just make broth out of them so I don’t have much interaction with them. If for the sake of the game a bone is a bone is a bone then the added layer of tracking what it came from might be simply holding back progress by making them stack easily.

I understand ‘a chunk of meat’ works that way and can see it is useful because the meat rots so you can’t stack a kill 5 minutes ago with a kill right now. Since bones don’t ‘rot’ AFAIK, the age of them wouldn’t matter, so taking them in and out of a stack won’t be a cheaty work-around to stop things from rotting. That basically leaves what, the type of critter they come from as extra data?

Is there a way to just add a counter to certain stacks?

So basically:
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone

Would turn into:
bone x7
And when you look at the stack in the inventory screen it adds the critter info? (dog x2, moose x3, cougar x2)

I assume it wouldn’t work for things like the variety of ‘candy’ and ‘chips’ because those have different individual stats so stacking them doesn’t work, but are bones just bones?

Other than that all I can think of is giving bones the treatment that ‘plastic bag’ got, having a craftable recipe to make a loose amount into a single unit.

Craft 10 bones + 1 string = “a bundle of bones”, or whatever. Not as much fun as just making them stack though, since it requires player interaction and it would end up stripping away the critter-qualifier too.

Dominae - this is a good idea.

i wonder…
what’s the difference between inventory and floor? Why one can stack items in his inventory (meat too) and not on the floor?

[quote=“Dominae, post:17, topic:4358”]So basically:
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone
bone

Would turn into:
bone x7
And when you look at the stack in the inventory screen it adds the critter info? (dog x2, moose x3, cougar x2)

I assume it wouldn’t work for things like the variety of ‘candy’ and ‘chips’ because those have different individual stats so stacking them doesn’t work, but are bones just bones?[/quote]
This along with eventually supporting multiple descriptions for the same item (so all your chips and candy could each be compiled into a single item with different descriptions) is pretty much exactly what I’d like to do eventually.