Did someone forget about pockets?

I always wondered why ALL storage was handled via bulk volume and weight and only things like a sheath are relegated to standard put thing in hole made for holding things. Why don’t most pants have quick draw pockets, I mean I figure that you could have it scale with in game limiters for balance reasons but didnt everyone just forget that people wear pants with pockets and put things into pockets.
Edit:god my spelling was terrible, shouldn’t stay up late and right suggestions

Because that implies a whole new inventory system, which we DO want to add, but it’s really involved.

That depends on how complicated the holsters are. Whatever system of identification you put in to let holsters know what is a gun that can fit in them, could be reworked to pants pockets to fit “Small Objects”. Just put a Small Object tag in with any relative object and you’re good to go. Of course this is a very dirty method, but hey it’d work.

It’s a terrible UI for you to have to manually put things in and take them out of your pockets/holsters/whatever, and it’s not getting extended any further.

what i would really love to see implemented for inventory is an adaptation of this:

Customizable quite a bit, each position is of a specific size so you cannot fit everything everywhere, but you can stack everything if space allows.

Only problem is that this can only statically handle the clothing: You can only wear one backpack, one vest, two leg holsters, etc…
Adapting it to work with any number of layers would be amazing (and solve the “drop backpack” problem too)

micromanaging inventory is not good idea, terminal do not have mouse support, designing new more complicated inventory without making it micromanaging hell is huge challenge

I forgot about that :frowning:
Maybe add mouse support first? :smiley:

The general idea of the storage space of a clothing item affecting what it can carry has been suggested in various ways, but it’s again one of those things where concrete ideas on HOW to implement it without it being a pain in the ass aren’t as common as suggestions for which system to take ideas general from.

Idea-wise, I’m in favor of cleaning up the Dwarf Fortress adventure mode system, but code-wise I wouldn’t know where to begin.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:8, topic:10715”]The general idea of the storage space of a clothing item affecting what it can carry has been suggested in various ways, but it’s again one of those things where concrete ideas on HOW to implement it without it being a pain in the ass aren’t as common as suggestions for which system to take ideas general from.

Idea-wise, I’m in favor of cleaning up the Dwarf Fortress adventure mode system, but code-wise I wouldn’t know where to begin.[/quote]
Well, it can be similar to how storage in a vehicle works, with each container has it’s own storage, limiting volume in each, but not visually represented.

Personally, I want our character to worry about micromanagement of inventory, not us. So with this, give the player the ability to organize inventory. The organized % they are changes a few things, like volume and time it takes to draw, activate, and return. This would, in turn, lead to changes in the organized and disorganized trait. Instead, organize gets a higher default organize % range when picking something up, disorganized gets a low to no organized %, with an added bonus, organized gain moral when they organize, and disorganized loses it. Taking some time and making some noise organizing your stuff to hold more stuff. Doesn’t effect weight, noted. I also have other ideas about more activities that can be done to be better prepared, such as weapon cleaning/sharpening, or playing chess with an ally.

…but player characters aren’t multi-tile creatures.

We can’t all be dragons. o3o

i was thinking and said it in another thread that a drop down menu will be nice, something like that:

pair of jeans (2/2)V
can of cola
can of beans
leather backpack (21/60)>
pair of light survivor gloves (0/0)>
pair of briefs (0/0)V

leather belt (0/1)V
1252 vitamins
8 morphine
5 oxycode
leather belt (1/1)V
plastic bag of 10 vitamins

but system like that ask another questions: how to move items from one containter to another? how to make adv inventory work with new system?

Exactly. Every proposal has its own hurdles to sort out.

[quote=“Arek_PL, post:11, topic:10715”]i was thinking and said it in another thread that a drop down menu will be nice, something like that:

pair of jeans (2/2)V
can of cola
can of beans
leather backpack (21/60)>
pair of light survivor gloves (0/0)>
pair of briefs (0/0)V

leather belt (0/1)V
1252 vitamins
8 morphine
5 oxycode
leather belt (1/1)V
plastic bag of 10 vitamins

but system like that ask another questions: how to move items from one containter to another? how to make adv inventory work with new system?[/quote]

I wouldn’t mind an inventory system like that. Perhaps TAB could be changed to an Inventory Management sorta thing, where you select the item you want to move and then just use the arrow keys to bring it to the container you want it in.

Possibly. I’ve still yet to figured out what we use tab for in the inventory anyway.

Quick movement between item categories. Kinda pointless unless you happen to be carrying 10 of everything.

Yeah, I can see that being yoinked for something else if needed.

The #1 requirement is that if you don’t mind your character’s inventory management performance being somewhat suboptimal, you don’t have to do any micromanaging of inventory. When you pick up an item it should find a place for it by default and not require a player decision.
If you want to fine-tune things by placing certain items in certain locations, that should also be an option, but that’s secondary to it generally just staying out of your way.
Only systems that meet this requirement will be considered for inclusion in the game.

[quote=“jcd, post:5, topic:10715”]what i would really love to see implemented for inventory is an adaptation of this:

Customizable quite a bit, each position is of a specific size so you cannot fit everything everywhere, but you can stack everything if space allows.

Only problem is that this can only statically handle the clothing: You can only wear one backpack, one vest, two leg holsters, etc…
Adapting it to work with any number of layers would be amazing (and solve the “drop backpack” problem too)[/quote]

Is that the Jagged Alliance remake?

reverse image search confirm that its jagged alliance unfinished business

reverse image search confirm that its jagged alliance unfinished business[/quote]
Well, Unfinished Business was the expansion (that used the same game engine), but this is built upon the original JA2.
It is the 1.13 “patch” (not exactly a patch, just 15 years of community improvements and features) and i wanted to specifically show the “New InVentory system” or NIV.

But we cannot use it ‘as is’ of course. Actually we cannot use much from it since mouse and micromanaging Inv is a problem.

Anyway, after a little thought, expanding on Arek’s idea, i got another proposition that may work:

As you can see this covers most avenues:

1. Everything is organized in packs and pockets as needed. We could only allow items of a specific category in some pockets (like only knives can fit in boots)
  2. It is possible to randomly pick a pack to put a new item, old functionality is retained.
  3. It is possible to drop a pack with all its items in one move.
  4. Inventory reorganization could be done in the way i try to illustrate above:
    Show the inventory in both screens, allow different packs selected (moving between them with “+” and “-”, or maybe pgUP, pgDown?).
    Then, with “enter” the selected item on the left pane will be moved to the selected pack on the right pane.

Is there anything i missed?